Author Topic: Anyone know how to convert 8 pin cdi to 6?  (Read 6511 times)

Roytheroach

• View Profile
Anyone know how to convert 8 pin cdi to 6?
« on: November 24, 2019, 01:34:41 PM »
Heavily modified 72cc super 8 50r, looking to convert to standardized aftermarket 6 pin cdi's that flood Amazon. I bought a new 6 pin hardness for an easy plug in. I'm just not sure if the 8 pin was dc or ac stock in the scooter. It's a 2015 so I'm gonna guess ac. I think I'll have it running in a day but I'm hoping somebody has done this and can let me know if I need anything additional or hey if you could spot me a diagram that'd be great lol

Roytheroach

• View Profile
Re: Anyone know how to convert 8 pin cdi to 6?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2020, 12:22:51 AM »
Got it folks. Pretty standard, I bought a 6 pin harness n just cross referenced, a little poking with a test light, and boom. I have a running GY6 deristricted 6 pin cdi conversion in my super 8 50 r with adjustable timing. Recommend this if you're looking for power

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2020, 08:20:42 PM »
Nice Roy.
Whatcha gain for real world speed, & power?
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

Roytheroach

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2020, 04:14:29 PM »
Well I took it to MetLife stadium for a run in the parking lot, and every time I'd go it just felt like I was holding the brake and I couldn't get past 25, turned out the tire was rubbing the tail light and gas tank, because I have the rear extended and lowered (a bit too much) so when I get another 2" of height we will try again. When up on the center stand it did reach a higher rpm than I ever head it go to. Will update

Ivanmk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2020, 08:55:40 PM »
Can you tell us how you do it? Some schematics or diagram
Thanks

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

Ivanmk

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2020, 09:02:19 PM »
I have these pics

Ivanmk

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2020, 09:02:50 PM »
Pics

Ivanmk

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2020, 09:03:56 PM »
Pic

Roytheroach

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2021, 10:20:49 PM »
Okay so I'm relocating the gas tank. Also putting on. Smaller tail light. Now the suspension is all good to go, I have full tire clearance, feels soft and cushy

It WAS running really well on the 6 pin cdi. I used diagrams like these great folks all posted, thank you very much, but in the time since then the cdi has gone missing and the replacement is already on its way. The wiring and plugs are still there so I won't have to redo anything. Just don't forget to bust out the voltmeter and it's pretty easy to do. Order the cheap pigtails from Amazon and make it look nice. You'll be proud of yourself when it runs and you can adjust the timing curve. It really runs different with the different adjustment position, and runs better than ever

Will update again when cdi and coil arrive in September, plenty of time to weld in some kind of downtube from the gooseneck to the frame and figure out how I'm gonna mount this gas tank. I'd really love to give it something bigger but I'd have to reuse the stock fuel gauge sending unit. We will see what happens. I get about 60 miles to the gallon , it'd be pretty neat to have a 300 mile range.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()