Author Topic: Downtown Top Case  (Read 5527 times)

downtowngirl

• View Profile
Downtown Top Case
« on: July 09, 2013, 01:13:37 PM »
Hello Everyone! New here on the forum, although I have been lurking for a year now.  ;) Great posts & helpful tips. I love checking in every day to see whats new. I'm from Illinois. I transitioned from motorcycles to scooters a couple of years ago. Last year as a birthday gift to myself I traded my Vespa 250 for the 2012 Downtown 300i. Must say I am loving every minute of it. No regrets here!

Ride almost daily in town, but mostly highway. Although I hate the thought of adding a top case it would be quite convenient for me. Never cared much for the looks of them. I've checked them out extensively online. Hoping someone can recommend a size that is not overwhelming on the DT. I like the looks of the Givi cases & their reputation. There are no dealers close that have cases to view. Since I have the burnt orange DT I'm thinking the flat black would look best. If anyone can post any photos of their top cases from the profile or rear view that would be helpful.  :) If there are any drawbacks of adding a top case please let me know. Looking forward to your advise.

Thanks all. Happy riding!  8)

mnpugdog

• View Profile
Re: Downtown Top Case
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 01:25:58 PM »
Here is my post on that subject with pictures for you to look at.

http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=8930.msg96442#msg96442

downtowngirl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 01:47:53 PM »
That is beautiful! Will check into the Bestem box. Very helpful. Thank you.  :)

autopilot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 02:47:48 PM »
Hi I'm from the UK and I have fitted my Givi monokey top box which is similar to that in the photos you have already seen. I had it fitted to my ER650 Versys a it was an older box the plate and fittings supplied from Givi were for a later model but after some small modifications all fitted perfectly.
I have had no problems with the handling and have ridden the scooter at high speeds on dual carriageways as well as our  smaller more twisty roads.
I think that it adds a greater capacity for carrying all the gear for touring a real bonus.

Philly

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 04:33:24 AM »
I went the opposite way with my top case. I didn't want anything too big so I purchased a Pelican #1300 case and mounted it to the top case mount that Kymco sells. I fashioned a 1/8" thick aluminum bracket and screwed it to the case to hold a backrest that I got on Ebay. These cases are built to military specs and are very strong and lockable with a padlock. For a case this small it's surprising how much it will hold. I keep a small tool kit, booster cables, tire repair kit, air pump, some first aid stuff and a few other odds and ends in it. You wont get a helmet in though. These go under my seat. You can get these cases with or without interior foam and they are cheaper without the foam as you don't really need it.

Joe7911

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 08:40:04 PM »
Welcome, I too have a DT 300i, My bike is white so I found a perfect match for mine. I believe you are correct with the black case. I found on eBay a Coocase in white or black for $99.99 delivered, don't know if any left but it is a deluxe case with Padded liner,  remote open and close, Alarm and LED brake lights. I mounted it on a Shad Bracket I also got from eBay for about $77.00. See enclosed picture.
Very nice case. The bracket is very easy to install and very strong.

Bayowolf

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 10:49:18 PM »
Do I really need to buy a Kymco 300 shad case mount to be able to put a top box onto my new DT-300? Or can I somehow use the mount the box comes with? This is the box I am getting
http://www.ebay.com/itm/300926344324?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

mnpugdog

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2013, 12:07:39 AM »
I used the Givi mount because I did not like the look of the bars blocking the light that the Shad does.

Joe7911

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2013, 12:43:21 AM »
I was going to get the Givi but found a better deal on eBay for the Shad and it is very heavy duty mount. I do agree the Givi looks better.

downtowngirl

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2013, 01:10:06 PM »
Decisions, decisions...hmmmmm. This is really tough! I love the look of the Coocase. I haven't found many reviews on them however. Everyone has come up with some great tips. I think the hardes part is deciding which size to get. Don't want anything overwhelming in size. Was the installation on the Coocase very difficult? You guys are awesome. Love seeing the photos. That really gives me a good idea on proportion. Thx  ;)

downtowngirl

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2013, 01:31:08 PM »
Hey, has anyone incorporated a tunnel bag on the Downtown? I'm thinking this could be very useful. Wondering which size & brand fits the best. Ideas???

Joe7911

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2013, 02:05:49 PM »
The Coocase is very nice quality the installation is about the same for most boxes, it involves attaching the base plate to a mount or your bike. As for the electrical its very easy I removed the seat and stogie compartment to access the battery. You tap into your brake wire behind the battery its easy with a simple tester. Then attach the ground to the negative post of battery, if you want to use the remote open and close as well as the alarm feature then  you need to attach the red wire to the positive terminal of the battery. Make sure the base plate is secure to bike you don't want to loose your case on highway. I drilled a small hole on the lower lip at end of seat and ran my wire that way its clean and meet.

As for tunnel bags I never have looked into one, so I really have no input I can see were it would be useful on really long trips. I have enough with the top box, under seat and I also have backpack for the long haul.

racewalker

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2013, 11:36:02 PM »
Hey, has anyone incorporated a tunnel bag on the Downtown? I'm thinking this could be very useful. Wondering which size & brand fits the best. Ideas???
I use a Givi on mine, works fine. I am not home so can not do pictures till i get home in a couple of weeks.
08 People S 125
11 Downtown 300i

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2013, 08:04:33 PM »
Downtowngirl, welcome to this bunch. This is a great forum. For what it is worth, I carry 40 pounds of dogs on the back of my DT 300i without any weight and balance problems so the size of the top case should not be a problem nor what ya put in it. That should mean you can get the look you want without any second thoughts. That plate that Philly used looks really sturdy. Go for it!

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

feebleknievel

• View Profile
    • Kickin Country hITS
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2013, 08:07:46 PM »
My 2011 DT-300i with a Black tops case.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()