Author Topic: Wider tires?  (Read 3461 times)

bluesin

• 2012 DT 300i
    • View Profile
Wider tires?
« on: September 06, 2016, 02:16:18 PM »
Is it possible to put wider tires on the DT ? It seems the original size is narrow enough that (New England) road seams grab right onto the tire. Good way to lose control.
"There is a Fifth Dimension beyond which is known to Man. It is a Dimension as vast as Space and as timeless as Infinity......It is an area which we call 'The Twilight Zone' .   "Rod Serling

Snorvey

• View Profile
Re: Wider tires?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 02:48:38 PM »
I'm sure I read somewhere that incorrect tyre sizes may invalidate your insurance, so be careful with that one.

bluesin

• 2012 DT 300i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 07:26:16 PM »
I'm sure I read somewhere that incorrect tyre sizes may invalidate your insurance, so be careful with that one.

What state?
"There is a Fifth Dimension beyond which is known to Man. It is a Dimension as vast as Space and as timeless as Infinity......It is an area which we call 'The Twilight Zone' .   "Rod Serling

bluesin

• 2012 DT 300i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 07:27:22 PM »
Not looking for oversized...just a bit more width.

Snorvey

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 07:43:31 PM »
The 51st state.

Maybe I'm just a bit more wary of UK insurers looking for any excuse to not pay out.  It may well be different where you are of course. I'd want to check it out.

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 07:57:43 PM »
 If you want wider tires you have to buy wider rims to match the tire,.
  look up Heidenau tires they have a cross reference for tires to rims on line,.

bluesin

• 2012 DT 300i
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2016, 09:27:39 PM »
If you want wider tires you have to buy wider rims to match the tire,.
  look up Heidenau tires they have a cross reference for tires to rims on line,.

Thanks!

bluesin

• 2012 DT 300i
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2016, 09:28:51 PM »
The 51st state.

Maybe I'm just a bit more wary of UK insurers looking for any excuse to not pay out.  It may well be different where you are of course. I'd want to check it out.

LOL!  Itend to be jaded against insurance companies, as well.Too much time fighting their efforts to NOT pay.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2016, 09:41:04 PM »
Replace the original Maxxis with Metzeler and you New England road anomalies will virtually disappear! I think the same is true of Michelin and any other higher quality tire.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

bluesin

• 2012 DT 300i
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2016, 11:39:44 PM »
Replace the original Maxxis with Metzeler and you New England road anomalies will virtually disappear! I think the same is true of Michelin and any other higher quality tire.

Karl

I was going to try Michelin ...maybe City Slickers( Right name? )

de dee

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2016, 01:01:31 AM »
On my downtown I have city grip  150/70 - 13 rear tire ,.  and power pure  120/80 - 14 front tire,.  as city grip is not in front tire size,.  In the UK.  they have city grip winter  for the front tire size,.  very pricy,.   plus shipping,.  I like my set up,.   if you go for new rims and tires let us know how much and where you get them,. 

bluesin

• 2012 DT 300i
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2016, 02:05:44 PM »
On my downtown I have city grip  150/70 - 13 rear tire ,.  and power pure  120/80 - 14 front tire,.  as city grip is not in front tire size,.  In the UK.  they have city grip winter  for the front tire size,.  very pricy,.   plus shipping,.  I like my set up,.   if you go for new rims and tires let us know how much and where you get them,.

Will do. It will be an online purchase, as my dealer/mechanic gets all theirs( select few) from their warehouse.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2016, 07:05:36 PM »
I think my next ones will be Michelin Power Pure SC which are supposed to have a harder compound in the center of the rear tread to wear longer. Some of you know more about this than I do so PLEASE set this straight if needed!

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

de dee

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2016, 12:11:26 AM »
  the city grips and the power pure get the same mileage on the rear tires,. power pure front tires twice the mileage of the rear tires,.   cant complain,. 

bluesin

• 2012 DT 300i
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2016, 12:23:57 AM »
I think my next ones will be Michelin Power Pure SC which are supposed to have a harder compound in the center of the rear tread to wear longer. Some of you know more about this than I do so PLEASE set this straight if needed!

Karl

From what little I was able to research ( as opposed to studying for exam, of course ),, I think you are correct, Sir.  They are a 3-ply with harder center and softer sides. Tread is supposed to last well, according to reviews.

Looked at Motorcycle Superstore, Bike Bandit, and started Revzilla ( got distracted with studying) before heading to Anatomy & physiology II . Most boring instructor ever. I DO know how to read Power  Point without it being read ( in a monotone, no less ) to me.

Anyway, will look more this weekend ( along with that "s"word.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()