Author Topic: Downtown 200i/300i Steering head bearings replacement  (Read 1119 times)

Botakchek

• View Profile
Downtown 200i/300i Steering head bearings replacement
« on: August 20, 2021, 07:46:56 AM »
Hi everyone!

Does anyone have links to perhaps aftermarket steering head bearings for the above bike? Mine's a downtown 200i 2012 model.

It has started to notch in the center, together with really wobbly steering when my hands loosen up. Also, every time I hit the front brake it knocks... pretty scary feeling like it's going to give way anytime.

I only intend to ride the bike for another 4-5 months and the dealer is expecting >$200 for the steering head bearing replacement. That's a little bit too much if I'm only going to be riding the bike for a short while.

Would anyone have links to maybe NTN bearings, or know the bearing size I should be looking for?

Ruffus

• View Profile
Re: Downtown 200i/300i Steering head bearings replacement
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2021, 09:15:58 AM »
@Botakchek,
I did this change of bearings on a LIKE 200 last year. Material was around €80,- for SKF roller bearings, which replaced those ball bearings. So, $200,- for this job seems not to be unreasonable for me, for you have to extraciate the whole front, handlebar, etc.

Also extraction of old bearings from your frame is tricky. And, if you want to sell it ( let alone safety thoughts), no one buys a scoots with broken fork bearings, except very cheap.
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

tvniklas

• Passed the golden age 40...
    • View Profile
Re: Downtown 200i/300i Steering head bearings replacement
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2021, 07:11:58 PM »
I did it at my LBS 4 weeks ago and paid 2100sek =241usd
I think i paid 90usd for the original bearings.
i must say i prefer the old worn bearings, to much glide now :-)

Hi everyone!

Does anyone have links to perhaps aftermarket steering head bearings for the above bike? Mine's a downtown 200i 2012 model.

It has started to notch in the center, together with really wobbly steering when my hands loosen up. Also, every time I hit the front brake it knocks... pretty scary feeling like it's going to give way anytime.

I only intend to ride the bike for another 4-5 months and the dealer is expecting >$200 for the steering head bearing replacement. That's a little bit too much if I'm only going to be riding the bike for a short while.

Would anyone have links to maybe NTN bearings, or know the bearing size I should be looking for?
Kymco Downtown 300i ABS -2013
ODO: 9950km
Dr Pulley 15g / Orginal rollers  (change all the time)
Gas average 0,29L/10km
--------------------------------
Kymco Like 125  -2016  -Sold
Kymco Agility 50 -2015 -Sold
I have 14g ,15g and 15,5 Pulley´s to sell

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()