Author Topic: Rollers versus sliders  (Read 1636 times)

moparkid

• View Profile
Rollers versus sliders
« on: November 30, 2017, 05:29:30 PM »
Howdy friends and neighbors. My 2012 DT 300 is going on 35,000 miles and so far so good. Had a few things pop up as normal wear and tear and basically so far all repairs have been doable by me and inexpensive as parts go. I am wondering how and when one should begin to replace other parts that might not have worn out yet but may be nearing the end of their useful lifespan. There are variator upgrades on flea-bay but my working knowledge of variators and roller/slider replacements is limited and suspect at best. I do not understand why one would use sliders over rollers. I am not familiar with weights of rollers/sliders and what benefits there are with one over the other. I have searched the forum and found "TANWARE'S" contribution on the matter confusing. I have searched youtube and while there are plenty of videos showing what to do, none explain the "why's" of sliders versus rollers and what weights do what. I have found conflicting opinions so that at the end of it all, I am right back where I started....lost and confused. Would anyone care to enlighten me. Thanks! Oh.....Found a 2013 Xciter 500i and thinking to myself "why not"...until the wife told me why not...lol

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Rollers versus sliders
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 06:59:52 PM »
One why not on the 500 is .....
does it get 45 degrees FAHRENHEIT or less where you live?
The 500 does not like to start under those conditions. Great scoot, if it starts.
Www.buggypartsnw.com is a trusted source for sliders.
Visit site and read, or phone, to get info on sliders.Some don't like them, some think they're a useless gimmick, most folks like them.
Stig
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 07:02:34 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

moparkid

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 03:24:36 PM »
Thank you Stig.

kneeslider

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 02:07:13 AM »
Hi, the web has extensive info on this.

Anyways, in a nut shell, the sliders slide to ramp up the variator plate on the belt when you go up in speed, instead of rolling up.

Due to the shape of the sliders, that amount of ramp up is more hence you get a taller 'gearing' and also a shorter 'gearing' when they are at their resting position.

Howdy friends and neighbors. My 2012 DT 300 is going on 35,000 miles and so far so good. Had a few things pop up as normal wear and tear and basically so far all repairs have been doable by me and inexpensive as parts go. I am wondering how and when one should begin to replace other parts that might not have worn out yet but may be nearing the end of their useful lifespan. There are variator upgrades on flea-bay but my working knowledge of variators and roller/slider replacements is limited and suspect at best. I do not understand why one would use sliders over rollers. I am not familiar with weights of rollers/sliders and what benefits there are with one over the other. I have searched the forum and found "TANWARE'S" contribution on the matter confusing. I have searched youtube and while there are plenty of videos showing what to do, none explain the "why's" of sliders versus rollers and what weights do what. I have found conflicting opinions so that at the end of it all, I am right back where I started....lost and confused. Would anyone care to enlighten me. Thanks! Oh.....Found a 2013 Xciter 500i and thinking to myself "why not"...until the wife told me why not...lol
2019 Yamaha X-Max 250

tvniklas

• Passed the golden age 40...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 10:22:16 AM »
 God day mate!
If you are planning to buy, i myself bought 16g today, planning to grind away 0.5g to make them 15.5 as @adept did in this thread: http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=4700.225
I have tried 14&15g 15 is ok but with a little bit of high rev (+500)
I bought from here today:
http://www.exportstrength.com/index.php?cPath=2520_8513_8776
Kymco Downtown 300i ABS -2013
ODO: 9950km
Dr Pulley 15g / Orginal rollers  (change all the time)
Gas average 0,29L/10km
--------------------------------
Kymco Like 125  -2016  -Sold
Kymco Agility 50 -2015 -Sold
I have 14g ,15g and 15,5 Pulley´s to sell

xsel777

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2018, 02:48:02 PM »
I tried them in my xc500 and they chewed up my variator, so I am vehemently against their use. I went rather with a sports variator, and stock rollers, which improved my topend, but pull away was bad. To fix that i added another 1mm spacer inside the variator, and that comprise worked for me.

Sent from my Mi Max using Tapatalk
2010 Kymco Xciting 500Ri-Dark Blue

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2018, 12:56:12 AM »
My two bits.

Rollers worked great in my 200S.  Same weight killed the flat spot, but didn't do much for top end.
Still they were a definite improvement from the rollers.
I run the OEM rollers in my SYM since reports are that Dr. Pulley's work fine, but there's no gain.  SYM built the HD to be a bit more performance oriented than the Kymcos in the same class so what gain there was seems to already be there.
My Burgman 650 doesn't use 'em so no opinion there.  8)

Some folks report issues of 'em doing all kinds of interesting stuff.  For instance there are more than a couple reports of them flipping in Burgman 400s.  Usually not right away.
Others, like xsel report they didn't work well at all, & I know of at least one that they come in stock. (BV350).

So it varies by bike.  I suspect if you have a bike they didn't like you'd do better with 'em if you replaced your OEM setup with all Dr. Pulley stuff that's likely engineered with sliders in mind.

2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

tvniklas

• Passed the golden age 40...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2018, 03:32:18 PM »

I bought from here today:
http://www.exportstrength.com/index.php?cPath=2520_8513_8776
[/quote]

I got them yesterday and they are geniune.
I only paid 29:77Usd , must be a bargain?
Kymco Downtown 300i ABS -2013
ODO: 9950km
Dr Pulley 15g / Orginal rollers  (change all the time)
Gas average 0,29L/10km
--------------------------------
Kymco Like 125  -2016  -Sold
Kymco Agility 50 -2015 -Sold
I have 14g ,15g and 15,5 Pulley´s to sell

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2018, 09:44:32 PM »
My two bits.

Rollers worked great in my 200S.  Same weight killed the flat spot, but didn't do much for top end.
Still they were a definite improvement from the rollers.
I run the OEM rollers in my SYM since reports are that Dr. Pulley's work fine, but there's no gain.  SYM built the HD to be a bit more performance oriented than the Kymcos in the same class so what gain there was seems to already be there.
My Burgman 650 doesn't use 'em so no opinion there.  8)

Some folks report issues of 'em doing all kinds of interesting stuff.  For instance there are more than a couple reports of them flipping in Burgman 400s.  Usually not right away.
Others, like xsel report they didn't work well at all, & I know of at least one that they come in stock. (BV350).

So it varies by bike.  I suspect if you have a bike they didn't like you'd do better with 'em if you replaced your OEM setup with all Dr. Pulley stuff that's likely engineered with sliders in mind.

I opened my Piaggio 350 and the rollers are rollers   , I installed dr. pulleys 16.7 gram   dr pulley does not list the size for my scooter had to buy 25/17   17 gram then grind them down to fit,25 / 15.9

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2018, 08:02:30 AM »
Well heck I sit corrected.  Ain't pulled one apart, was going on what I'd read hither and yon.

I opened my Piaggio 350 and the rollers are rollers   , I installed dr. pulleys 16.7 gram   dr pulley does not list the size for my scooter had to buy 25/17   17 gram then grind them down to fit,25 / 15.9
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()