Author Topic: Aftermarket Exhaust options for a 2013  (Read 2480 times)

Mikethesloan

• View Profile
Aftermarket Exhaust options for a 2013
« on: April 17, 2014, 03:16:49 AM »
Hey fellow Kymcoians. I just purchased a brand new 2013 Super 8 150. I'm looking to put a new exhaust on it. I have 2 requirements.  1. It can't need other parts of the engine adjusted. My dealer said it was ok if I put one on and it wouldn't void the warranty as long as I didn't need to rejet or anything along those lines. 2. I can't make any physical modifications to the cosmetics. So. I've had my eye on two. The first choice is Two Brothers VALE. This exhaust looks great. I'm hesitant for 2 reasons. One. The reasons I listed above. And two. Because every part site I've been on lists the super 8 150 up to 2010. No exhaust for 2013. Has that part of the super 8 really changed since it's launch?  The yoshimura I'm also looking at. I'm a total newb here so. Thank you in advance for any advise!!!
2013 Kymco Super 8 150 w/ Yoshimura TRC Exhaust
2007 Kymco Xciting 500 - Stock
2017 Kawasaki Vulcan S Cafe

wkreps

• View Profile
Re: Aftermarket Exhaust options for a 2013
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 03:12:44 PM »
Sorry I can't help but I'd be interested in what you come up with and the results as my 2013 model is about 1 1/2 months old.
Wayne

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 04:18:51 PM »
One way to find out ig go to Stadium Yamaha or any other site that lists the bike by parts, and part numbers. Look up the engine case numbers between 2010, and 2013. Same for the exhaust pipes. Compare the numbers. If they are all the same you are good to go ordering a pipe listed for a 2010.
The bigger issue is most all aftermarket pipes WILL recommend up jetting. I don't know of any that are just a cosmetic upgrade. However... Some you can get by w/ simply adjusting the idle mix screw a turn or so the enrich the idle circuit. That will result in an overall richer mixture, and will compensate for a "milder pipe"

Hope this helps!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Mikethesloan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 08:40:17 PM »
What happens with an exhaust that calls for bigger jets, without adding any? Will it hurt the engine?  Will the bike bog down?
2013 Kymco Super 8 150 w/ Yoshimura TRC Exhaust
2007 Kymco Xciting 500 - Stock
2017 Kawasaki Vulcan S Cafe

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 09:37:35 PM »
A pipe that requires or suggests larger jets is doing so because it has a better flow rate, and/or less back pressure.
When the piston pushes out the spent gases it is partly restricted by that back pressure, and cannot completely expel everything. Less back pressure equals better "scavenging". Therefore the jetting is set to accommodate this. (Rule of thumb... The more gas/air you can get in the jug the more power you can make.)
Sooo your air fuel ratio will remain the same coming in but the ratio inside the jug will be leaner because there is less of the "spent" mix remaining which does contain some unburnt fuel.
This is on a VERY small level, and again it may be made up for by enriching the idle circuit thereby enriching the entire mix ratio.

Like I said this is a very small scale, and most pipe makers simply suggest up jetting to increase performance. That is the primary goal for most people changing pipes. Without up jetting or enriching the mix you may actually decrease performance. There is no way to know unless someone that used the same pipe on the same engine can tell their story.

My personal opinion is to go ahead and try the pipe you like, and see. The worst that could happen is you may indeed need to up jet, and that is SOOOOO easy you will wonder (in hind sight) why you were even concerned about it. No dealer on EARTH could ever tell or have any way of knowing the jet was changed because so many different jets find their way into the same engines there is no way to verify what is in what.
In thinking about it a second longer you (again) may not even have to go that far. There is a main jet "needle" that meters the main by sliding up/down inside the vapor tube. That needle is adjustable, and can be raised to allow more fuel thru the same jet sooner thereby enriching the circuit. That along with the idle mix should get you back into the "sweet zone".

Don't over think this... It is simple to do.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 09:39:25 PM by zombie »
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 08:02:30 AM »
Hey fellow Kymcoians. I just purchased a brand new 2013 Super 8 150.

Some of the new Kymcos have fuel injection, but it's difficult to know which since Kymco uses different model names in different countries, example "Super 8".  If your scoot is not EFI, with a standard Chinese carb,  it should be exactly the same as other Chinese 150s.  But if it's an EFI model, I don't have any other info to help.  Is your Super 8 carbureted?

DMblues01

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 08:30:21 AM »
Some of the new Kymcos have fuel injection, but it's difficult to know which since Kymco uses different model names in different countries, example "Super 8".  If your scoot is not EFI, with a standard Chinese carb,  it should be exactly the same as other Chinese 150s.  But if it's an EFI model, I don't have any other info to help.  Is your Super 8 carbureted?

JJJoseph, the Super8 150 uses a Keihin carburetor.
Roxana, IL

Yoda is my spiritual leader.
Vader is my anger management coach!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()