Author Topic: Is My Xciting 500i Carb or Fuel Injection  (Read 1257 times)

sawdrl

• View Profile
Is My Xciting 500i Carb or Fuel Injection
« on: September 15, 2014, 11:31:52 PM »
Sorry to be a real dimwit, but how do I tell if my 2007 scooter is a carb or FI model ?????? The handbook is not very helpful, it refers to 'Carb Maint'  and on the bike itself there is a cover under the seat which also has stamped into it 'Carb Maint'. Taking that off I see a fuel control unit which could be either a carb or a throttle body. Not enough space to see if it is either for sure.

I thought I was pretty mechanically astute after 40 years of bike and car ownership, but this thing is driving me nuts !

The question is to establish whether or not it is safe to try the 'disconnect battery with ignition on' trick to reset a very errant speedo which will not work ! Apparently fine to do it on carb bikes, not so on FI models.

ophelia

• View Profile
Re: Is My Xciting 500i Carb or Fuel Injection
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 06:04:15 AM »
The 500i is injected. The 500 is not. All bikes say carb maint on the cover.

Check the battery voltage while the motor is running and on the throttle. I have seen a bad regulator cause overvoltage and take out the lighting and instruments.
2011 Kymco Downtown 300i

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 03:05:27 PM »
Yes, I've read a couple of places NOT to disconnect much of anything on a fuel injected scoot while it's running.
Must shut it off with key first.
I educated myself about my Kymco scooter by purchasing a service manual from cylcepedia.com. If your scoot is covered by one of their manuals, it might be a good investment.
Stig
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 03:07:06 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 03:41:02 PM »
Yeah if it says Xciting500Ri it's injected. Any bike with "i" after the name refers to injected.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

sawdrl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 05:36:12 PM »
Thanks for the responses......................I was pretty sure it was FI anyway, but the 'Carb Maint' cover is confusing especially when the bike is from about the time the model switched from carb to FI.

Any way I bit the bullet with the speedo reset and it worked a treat, I now have a functioning if somewhat optimistic speedometer.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()