Author Topic: Scooter Transporting  (Read 4422 times)

kymcobrad

• View Profile
Scooter Transporting
« on: April 01, 2013, 12:01:53 AM »
I am interested in transporting my 2009 Grandvista with a hitch mounted carrier.  Anyone with any experience, it seems that most that i have found on the internet seem to indicate that they are not for use with scooters that weigh over 300 pounds.

thx in advance

Charlie P

• View Profile
Re: Scooter Transporting
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 01:27:23 AM »
Had a similar issue for my 2010 Yager GT200i, but went to etrailer.com and found their item numbr SMC600 (small motorcycle carrier 600 pounds). About $320 shipping included.  Here is a link:  www.etrailer.com/p-SMC600.html   It has a detachable ramp as opposed to some ramp systems that the whole assembly tilts.

One caveat though is many vehicles (my Honda Pilot for example) can't accomodate more than 350 pounds on the receiver hitch even though it's a 2" receiver.  My Honda Ridegline pickup can theoretically handle 500 but sags real bad in the rear-  It needs some booster or overload springs.  My Ford F250 super-duty pick up with some timbren overload springs (I pull a 5th wheel travel trailer some) doesn't drop down more than an inch with my Yager (manufacturer says 307-8 pounds-  I weighed it on scales and I get 345 pounds).

It's a handful to load the scooter- not near as easy as the video's on using it show- just have all the straps laid out where you can reach AND ATTACH THEM without having to lean or bend over- that darn sooter WILL try to fall over.  The videos are using a lightweight trail bike that don't weight near what my Yager or your Grand Vista (what about 410 pounds or so?)do.

I added a led light bar (the kind that goes under pick-up truck tailgates) and a license plate frame to my ramp since the vehicle/truck tag should probably get moved onto the carrier since the scooter covers it up when it's loaded.

Good luck on your search and I hope this helps.

Charlie P.
2013 Xciting 500Ri ABS
formerly 2010 Yager & 2008 Grand Vista
Near Haslet, TX (NW of Fort Worth)

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 03:23:17 AM »
   I have a toyota sienna , my ramp is rated at 400 lb.s  my scooter is 366 lb.s   i had to install air bags in the coil springs to level the van, and part of the tie down is attached to the roof rails, to lessen the wt. on the hitch,. and I installed an other reciever on the tow bar, on the side were the rear of the scoot ends, or else it starts to sag very soon,. now the scoot stays level ,. I did a 10,000 km. trip with scooter to west coast and back,. just wore the tires a little thats all, the other thing I noticed the van was lite steering in cross winds,. so would not reccomend long trips any more ,. but good for service calls to deliver scooter I payed $ 260. for my ramp. and  $40 for the receiver, plus welding,.

blitzjb

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 11:02:05 AM »
I use this one http://www.harborfreight.com/400-lb-receiver-mount-motorcycle-carrier-99721.html
From Harbor Freight for my Super 8 150. It is rated to 400 pounds
2012 Kymco Super 8 150

de dee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 01:42:38 PM »
    It looks like I should have bought my ramp at Harbor freight,. I paid over double that ,. and I get the pleasure of paying the canadian taxes,.

Charlie P

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 03:27:49 PM »
I looked at the Harbor Freight one but didn't like the ramp being a "ladder" type.  The scooter wheels drop in between each ladder rung as you go up the loading ramp and the platform itself.  The smaller the wheel diameter the more difficult it becomes to "climb" the ladder.  I knew I'd have to have the engine running and "drive" it onto that ramp system. 

On the etrailer version ramp (ramp is steel-and the platform itself is a smooth flat aluminum U-channel plenty wide for the tires) you possibly can roll the scooter up without the engine running (provided it's not too heavy and the vehicle hitch isn't too high). 

Look at the Harbor Freight reviews - several comment that it takes two people to load and tie down the scooter.  I was able to do it by myself on the etrailer version -BUT it was NOT easy - two people would be better with it also - it is not a piece of cake to load my Yager.  Like I said in my earlier post "have all the straps laid out where you can reach AND ATTACH THEM without having to lean or bend over- that darn sooter WILL try to fall over."

Load Safe, Transport Safe & Ride Safe.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 03:53:27 PM by NewYagerRider »
Charlie P.
2013 Xciting 500Ri ABS
formerly 2010 Yager & 2008 Grand Vista
Near Haslet, TX (NW of Fort Worth)

de dee

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 04:58:11 PM »
  when I load the scooter on to the ramp, I look for a high curb to start from ,so loading is almost level,. my little ramp is made of alum.  and it bends to easy,. so I screwed a 2 x 6 under it,  now no flexing or bending,.

blitzjb

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 12:47:45 AM »
I load my super 8 150 on the Harbor Freight rack by myself..  The cycle shop I purchased the scooter from sells a similar one for 3 times the price
2012 Kymco Super 8 150

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 03:48:12 PM »
I have a VersaHaul with a ramp that is rated for 500 lbs. It is for sale if your vehicle will take the weight like NewYager talks about.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

blitzjb

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 12:34:48 PM »
On the way for a tune-up this morning using my Harbor Freight carrier.
2012 Kymco Super 8 150

blitzjb

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2013, 12:36:08 PM »
On the way for a tune-up this morning using my Harbor Freight carrier.
2012 Kymco Super 8 150

blitzjb

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2013, 12:36:47 PM »
2012 Kymco Super 8 150

de dee

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2013, 09:33:11 PM »
your harbor freight rack looks the same as mine ,. but my short  ramp is a wide U channel of alum. bent too easy, so I had to install a 2 x 6 under it ,. rear end of my downtown to heavy,. also the reason I weilded another receiver on the tow bar,. under the rear area so it would not sag,.

Trancebear

• Sucker For Discontinued Scooters
  • Retired Micro$oft Drone
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2013, 09:30:42 PM »
This is my Hyosung on the Harbour Freight model. My Hyosung weighs 345lbs. I used it once and sold it on Craigslist for a profit. I hauled the scooter 100 miles on this carrier.

My Name Is Chris Y'all
2014 BMW 650GT
2014 Kymco MyRoad 700 Modded
2006 Kymco B&W 250
Threw Away All The Chinese Scoots

vespa50sp

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2013, 03:05:48 AM »
I am interested in transporting my 2009 Grandvista with a hitch mounted carrier.  Anyone with any experience, it seems that most that i have found on the internet seem to indicate that they are not for use with scooters that weigh over 300 pounds.

A friend of mine had a trailer that with a bed that was six feet long with a total length of 9 feet that he could stand up in his garage to store for hauling his scoots. I liked it so much that I cut down a harbor freight trailer and did the same thing. It works great. Unless you have a fairly heavy truck with a well mounted hitch, I don't like the idea of all that weight floating out there so far behind the rear axle. Plus I can use the trailer for other stuff.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()