Author Topic: nothing  (Read 9240 times)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Xciting 500 with intake mods and accessories
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2012, 10:43:04 PM »
Tuning with mixed rollers is fine but do not stay with them. The heavier ones take the brunt of the load while the lighter ones "float". If you need a NON produced weight you can fill lighter rollers with epoxy, or molten solder, and drill out to spec. Just rough up the inside barrel with 80 grit paper so it will stick.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2012, 01:40:38 PM »
Dr Pulley sliders FTW.
If the stock weights are 31gr, 28gr sliders would do wonders.
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: 2003 Peugeot Speedfight2 LC, 2007 Kawasaki ER-6F ABS, 2006 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS,

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2012, 04:50:30 AM »
You'll get more tools... Trust me.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2012, 11:09:21 PM »
I love the look Munks. Kudos! You'll be turning heads, as well as wrenches.
Sliders are tricky. If you want the SAME rpm's you need to go 1 step heavier than what you have. More rpm= same weight, Less rpm= 2 steps heavier

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
Re: Xciting 500 K&N Air Filter Leo Vince Exhaust
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2012, 10:59:53 PM »
I often forget to just ride/enjoy mine... Always looking for one more mph. By the time I get to where I'm going I have 5 more ideas on how to get it too.

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
Re: Xciting 500 K&N Air Filter Leo Vince Exhaust
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2012, 08:55:26 AM »
I have lots to learn before I take on sliders. But thanks for that info. I'm thinking I should just get sliders that are the same weight as the stock rollers, as far as I can tell. I'm gonna order some next month. Then start collecting the tools needed.

Sliders of the same weight will result in more or less same revs up to 55-60mph, and after that the revs will
drop considerably compared to the stock round ones. You might loose a bit of your current top speed as a
result, but I can't guarantee it because of the other mods you did, you might end up with 5mph more.

As a rule of thumb, Dr Pulley suggests sliders 10% lighter then your stock weights.

What that does usually is improve the acceleration considerably, but STILL lowers the revs at higher
speeds and saves fuel.

I went from 15.5gr stock to 14gr sliders which resulted in acceleration to 60mph dropping from 11 to 9
seconds at an average 500-600 revs more at wide open throttle while accelerating.

Crusing revs at 75mph went down from 7000 to 6500, and the top speed remained more or less the same
(I'm missing 2-3mph), also at 500 revs less. It's not around 87mph at 7600 revs, which is 400 revs short
of the maximum power of the bike.

That's why I'd never go with sliders even the same weight as stock, not to mention heavier that some
suggest, because even with lighter sliders you end up with lower revs at the top, as you can see.

That's the whole idea behind sliders and the reason they were made.
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: 2003 Peugeot Speedfight2 LC, 2007 Kawasaki ER-6F ABS, 2006 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS,

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
Re: Xciting 500 K&N Air Filter, Cold Air Intake and Leo Vince Exhaust pics
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2012, 07:45:46 AM »
Considering some of your mods, you can even gain some, it's hard to tell, but there's ALWAYS a
certain slider weight that will improve both the acceleration and top speed, but it's a bit tricky to
guess which ones.

How often do you ride at your top speed anyways?!

I didn't feel like 75mph at 7000rpms was good for the engine in the long run (DT300) so I kept it
at 65-70mph when going for a longer ride, so the top speed of 90mph was useless to me.

Now, with sliders, I can cruise at 75mph at 6500rpms, so in reality, my usable top speed is now
higher, even if I realistically lost 2-3mph from that 90mph top end.
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2012, 04:24:58 AM »
My personal experience was very different. I had higher rpm's thu the range. I got to top end quicker, but had major issues with de-accel. It would hold the highest rpm all the way to a dead stop. Too much engine, and not enough var action. I've since given them away with 100 or so miles on them

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2012, 06:49:29 AM »
NIce scoot sir! I envy scoots with breathers like those K&Ns of yours but can't do them because of frequent rain on this part of the globe. Sigh!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()