Author Topic: My DT300i + Givi screen + Kappa box  (Read 10580 times)

woodbar

• View Profile
My DT300i + Givi screen + Kappa box
« on: July 08, 2011, 04:05:09 PM »
Just a few pictures of the Downtown 300i with a couple of extras now fitted - must stop spending money now - it was supposed to be cheap alternative transport!

How did he get in there?

Sorry it's not in exotic locations like some of the other pics here!

racewalker

• View Profile
Re: My DT300i + Givi screen + Kappa box
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 09:37:52 PM »
Looks good, did you put lights in the top case? I know the feeling with spending. Haven‘t done any pictures of mine yet. Same windscreen, v46 top case with led lights. HID low beam lights and hi beam HID on order. I also have to stop spending money on it!
08 People S 125
11 Downtown 300i

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 04:16:31 AM »
It's exotic looking compared to MY yard.  :D  Awsome scooter, awsome windshield!  Black and white scoot and black and white cat with lightning bolt on his nose.  What more could you want?  ;)

woodbar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 11:38:15 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys - it's nice to have some feedback.  I'd love to see your pics of the DT with the V46.

I think I could have gone for a slightly bigger case but my main criteria was to Store 1 FF helmet & keep cost down! 

I quite liked the Coocase item with built in Alarm/LED/Integral contacts but in the end it was "would be nice"  versus expense limitation.  I may try adding some LEDs myself - or if I get that lucky number on the Lottery buy the bigger Coocase with it all built in.

I was wondering about the HID conversion or whether to try the MTEC Super White bulbs first - any thoughts?

Black and white scoot and black and white cat with lightning bolt on his nose
I'll tell Charlie you think he matches well!  I'm not sure if he's trying to tell me something but he insists on sitting on the pillion seat when the bike is parked up at home - trouble is I don't think he would be comfortable in a helmet.

Sideshow

• Reading, PA
    • View Profile
    • My web site
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 04:22:30 PM »
Looks nice.. Which box is that and where did you get it?

woodbar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 05:14:57 PM »
It's the Kappa K35 and I bought it from DKmotorcycles.co.uk primarily because I thought it was one of the nicer looking 35 litre boxes and it was comparatively less expensive (£60) than most.

It seems to be of reasonable quality - the lock and latching arrangement are identical to the Givi variety.  In fact the mounting rack kit, which was a Givi SR92M also had the Kappa KR920 legend on the instructions so I assume the 2 companies use common parts?

It's still enough to pay for a plastic box, although it does include the Monolock quick release plate as well I suppose, and if you want a coloured top (Silver, Blue or Red) it is twice the price!

roboscoot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 03:27:09 AM »

hey love the scooter...i am waiting on a 2012 dt.....not sure i would go with the top box though unless you need to transport cat.(lol)....when  i saw your black and white american short hair i nearly fell off my chair as i have three.....buddy (not the scooter(male) willow (sister) and their mom (anderson).

your cat looks like my buddy.....who is a climber and can often be found sitting on the seat looking like he is ready to turn the key....ps i had to put a blanket over the seat to prevent him from scratching the leather....and he does not like it when the other cats try to sit on the seat......good luck and stay safe with your scooter.

woodbar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 11:19:41 PM »
Thanks for the comments roboscoot - yes I know what you mean about the box but I need the extra storage.

We have 3 cats as well (at the moment - it was five) - and let's get this straight Charlie is a black & white ENGLISH shorthair (lol) - he thinks he's a dog anyway - keeps pestering to be taken for a walk across the field next to us!

When do expect to get the DT and what colour have you ordered - what do you ride now?

Likewise, stay safe and keep to the left (UK) - you maybe better keeping to the right?

roboscoot

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 02:24:59 AM »
i see woodbar..... as i understand it ....all cats (whether Ferrel or domesticated) came  from places elsewhere other than the good old usa.....so i have taken the liberty to call them american short hairs....but i get the picture,,,

right now i have an ms3-250 hyosung in hospitol.....took it to a so called authorized dealer where i had one problem and returned it to me in worse condition (won't even start now).....sent ecu to home office  somewhere near atlanta georgia....weeks go by with no progress and people fired and leaving the company.......don't buy hyosung ever....very week dealer network and refuse to take responsibility on just about anything,,,i am out of warranty but the scooter only had about 3k miles on it,,,,,regardless of what happens i am buying another scooter and waiting for the kymco 300 new 2012 to arrive,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,take it slow

frankiej1949

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 01:09:31 PM »
Hi Woodbar
Just joined the forum as I had my Sym GTS 250i stolen and have now ordered a DT 300i should be here next Thursday, cant wait. Love your pics the screen looks good, does it work? I have seen some posts saying difficult to fit and not made much difference. Top box looks amazing too one of the visual attractions was the scoot being in white the top box really sets it off. Good to see someone from the UK on here. Would be interested to know what you think of the scoot.
Hope to hear from you
Frank
Manchester

woodbar

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 05:36:04 PM »
Hi Frank - and welcome.

Sorry to hear about the Sym but I think you should be pleased with the DT300i.  Funnily enough I was tempted by one of the Sym models at my local dealer - think it was Evo 300 - it seemed nicely finished and had a few more extras - back rest, carpeted storage, hazard flashers etc. - but then I discovered it was actually only 260cc and I did not like the wheels (front smaller than the DT) and I had actually also tried a 2nd hand xciting 500 (only been used by the BBC as mobile camera base for bike racing - tempting but 2 years old) - so I went for the DT!

Thanks for the comments - I wasn't 100% sure about the box but it was a necessity and it's "grown" on me.

The Givi screen is very good - the bottom fixing needs a little adapting - 4 small "O" rings do the job nicely (you'll understand when/if you get one!)  My only reservation is that I am now looking through the top edge of the screen (it is 6.5" taller than stock) and I am debating whether to cut 1.5 - 2" off the top - but I don't want to loose the benefits - less noise, less buffeting - the stock screen was just too low and narrow at the base.  I am 5' 11.5" tall so you can judge what level your eyes might be if you change!

Let us know how you get on with the new DT.

racewalker

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2011, 09:26:36 PM »
The windshield is very good, I can see over mine but it is close. I am planning a long trip on mine next year so I am looking at an Air hawk air cushen 2. It will lift you about 2 inches. I want it for the padding but the increase in Hight will help as well.
08 People S 125
11 Downtown 300i

frankiej1949

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2011, 09:43:56 AM »
Thanks for the reply.
Pick mine up on Thursday so I will drop you a line and let you know what I think. I was tempted by the EVO but as you say only 260cc why market it as a 300???? A dealer was advertising a white one though dont know if you have seen the EVO in white, looks the DB's, unfortunately he had just used a standard picture and only had the black and silver not as attractive. I love the look of the DT cant wait to ride.
Have a good weekend
Frank

roboscoot

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2011, 12:12:32 AM »
hey woodbar ...how are the cats and better still how is the 300 doing?

also ....does givi or anyone else for that matter make a top box that is removable...what i mean by that is there one that allows you to slide it on and off or lock in and release  (without having to assemble and dis-assemble the hardware).....i mention it only because i believe the scooter's aesthetics change completely ...with it on and yet the capricorn/practical side of me....recognizes there are times when you just need that extra space....

woodbar

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2011, 08:51:18 AM »
Hi Roboscoot - yes the cats and the 300i are doing fine thanks.

I have been meaning to reply to a few things on the forum but have only had access on my little Android smartphone for a bit - and that is a real PIA to type on!

The top box IS REMOVABLE - if you look at the picture above with Charlie sitting in the box you can see the lower red button - press this (when the lock is unlocked of course) and the box just lifts straight off.

You can also see in some of the pictures the mounting plate right at the bottom of the box - that is a permanent fixture.

If I get time later I will take a couple of shots of the bike without the box fitted so you can see what the permanent bits look like.

Meanwhile if you look up "monolock system" on google/youtube there are plenty of  details/videos of how it works etc. - be careful as there is also a "monokey" system, which basically does the same thing but, as far as I can tell, is a bit stronger (seems to be mostly bigger boxes) and a lot more expensive!

The 300i has done about 1000 miles now and is still "freeing up" - getting better all the time - although I was a bit concerned the other day - every time I did a quick getaway from the lights it was making a peculiar noise - sort of a cross between a groan and a shriek - only happened a few times then it seemed to settle down to normal?  Only thing I can think of is I had washed the bike before going out, so whether some damp got in to the CVT and belt area.................?

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()