Why is my scooter not starting?

old battery?
3 (100%)
mid level gas instead of plus?
0 (0%)
carb full of gas?
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Author Topic: my scooter is stuck at work  (Read 4144 times)

NewScooterRider

• View Profile
my scooter is stuck at work
« on: October 15, 2010, 04:31:44 PM »
Hello everyone!  I'm new to the scooter game and I love riding! I consider myself very handy as I have done brake jobs and tune ups on various cars, but don't really know where to start on a scooter.

I have a people 50 scooter yr 2002 the has 7200 kilometers. I bought it 3 months ago and since then I have cleaned the air filter, cleaned the carburetor, changed the oil (admittedly did not did clean the filter just replaced with synthetic oil), replaced the transmission oil with synthetic and also have put seafoam in the tank once when i first got it.
   Yesterday my bike ran fine as usual but when I was ready to head on home it woudnt start! The electrical starter keeps turning  trying to get it to start but no fire. It seems a little lazy when it turns. Recently i have been forced to turn the gas while turning the scooter on so it can fire (i didnt have to before cleaning the carb) and it wont respond to that either. Could the carb be full of gas bc I turns the gas too many times while firing the engine? Could it be because my gf put mid level gas instead of the usual plus gas?  I don't know where to begin looking and need your guidance. Thanks in advance!

pedro

Re: my scooter is stuck at work
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 04:45:10 PM »
Have you tried kick starting it?  That would help you narrow down your list of possible causes.

pedro

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 04:47:38 PM »
Have you checked to see if you're getting any spark?  Pulled the spark plug?  It could time for a new plug.  I believe your people should have an NGK BR8HSA gaped at 0.6-0.7mm.

pedro

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 04:54:57 PM »
Oh yeah.  Welcome to the forum!   ;D ;D

NewScooterRider

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 04:59:19 PM »
To be honest I did try the kick start but was unsure how to get it started. I had my key in and the switch on when I put my weight on the stand it turns but did not make a full turn. I got frustrated bc I was unsure if I was doing it right.

I thought of the spark plug but haven't checked it yet. Do u know the socket size to buy it?

NewScooterRider

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 05:02:09 PM »
Thank you Pedro! I hope to write about good things after I get this fixed lol

pedro

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2010, 05:13:39 PM »
The kick start lever should only move about 90 degrees clockwise.  It does not rotate 360 degrees.  You'll need a 13/16ths socket to remove the spark plug.  If you haven't already replaced the plug, now would be a good time to do so.  They're only about $3 at the auto parts store and really easy to swap in a new one.

When kick starting, be sure the engine kill switch is in the "run" position.

NewScooterRider

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2010, 09:04:56 PM »
Thanks for the info! So I bought a battery and hooked it up n it started w.o a problem! I'm thankful it was that easy. But while I have your attention where is the oil filter on the kymco people 50?

juice

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2010, 09:25:38 PM »
D  SKU: 55201-GC8-0010
JOINT OIL STRN is a saleable item. 1 $2.78 

lankeeyankee

• I have an attitude problem with stupidity
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2010, 10:42:28 PM »
Start troubleshooting.

Remove the spark plug after several attempts of starting.
A. The plug is wet with gas= no spark= bad plug, on off switch malfunction, plug wire to coil poor connection etc..
B. The plug is dry.... No fuel in the carb bowl... Float misadjusted.. clogged main jet.. vaccuum leak.. clogged petcock... Remove the line from the petcock.. fuel coming out? yes take the carb apart check the float.

Is the engine trying to start? Maybe the choke isnt working properly? Remove the airfilter and hold your hand over the back of the carb while starting.. do you feel vacuum?

Need more info
Spark related or fuel?

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2010, 03:21:10 AM »
how much seafoam did you use if you over did it and put in to much you may wana take the carb out and clean it and maybe fresh gas. these scoots have a small tank so you only need a small amout of seafoam.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2010, 03:25:06 AM »
So I bought a battery and hooked it up n it started w.o a problem! I'm thankful it was that easy.

..coool...and yes, welcome to your first experience on the forum!!

peace
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2010, 02:46:19 AM »
thats great glad it was only a small fix.

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2010, 04:13:38 PM »
Yes, Love those easy fixes!! Welcome to the forum, NewScooterRider!  :)

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2010, 12:10:51 AM »
Welcome. Make sure to put it on the main stand when kicking otherwise the kick arm hits the main stand
*2010 People 50 2t with 70cc kit and more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()