Author Topic: Xciting 500 Ri variator fan  (Read 987 times)

NicoS

• View Profile
Xciting 500 Ri variator fan
« on: February 23, 2016, 05:54:15 AM »
Hi.
On my Xciting 500 the variator fan stripped all its thread while I was driving. Does anyone have any ideas why this would happen? I see on the variator that the rollers have bad flat spots.

xsel777

• View Profile
Re: Xciting 500 Ri variator fan
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 01:05:46 PM »
Nico's, bad news man. I sympathise.
I can only think the splines were already worn down, from variator being fitted incorrectly previously, or been off and on so many times, it finally wore out.
I once fitted mine incorrectly and damaged those splines. That aluminium is actually quite soft.

Re the rollers  being flat.
That happens. Just replace.
They are unlikely to be the cause.

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 with Tapatalk

2010 Kymco Xciting 500Ri-Dark Blue

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 01:27:47 AM »
I too had a variator drive face with worn splines. I noticed a noise and vibration and when I pulled the CVT cover, the splines were worn and there was a lot of free play. It was only a matter of a short time before they were stripped. I replaced the drive face, and while I was there, my rollers with sliders. All is good now. The variator drive face is aluminum so over time the splines get worn. This is engineered that way so as not to damage the drive splines coming from the motor, a much harder item to replace.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

mrbios

• 2005 Kymco Grandvista 250cc
  • Just crusing along on my 2005 GV250
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 03:39:52 AM »
How many miles on your xciting 500?

I would suggest that the splines should never show any signs of wear because the nut locks it in so it can't move.  My splines and face plate were perfect when I changed my belt at 10K miles.  I damage my face plate when I reinstalled the face plate because I failed to "unlock" the rear pulley by prying it apart which removes all tension.  The same may have occurred on your scoot by a PO (previous owner).

Also if the nut was not tightened to the correct torque the variator could get loose and strip out.  It sounds like that might have happened.  The nut can't be tightened without either an air Impact wrench or the tool to hold it in place so a torque wrench can be used.
PaulC

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 10:49:25 AM »
I suspect mine happened because previously the kick starter gear on my 150 wasnt aligned properly when the variator face was installed. I am grateful that all I had to replace was the variator face and not the drive gear coming from the engine. I take the nut off with an impact wrench but put it on with a socket, cheater bar, and thread seal. I made a tool to hold the fan from turning. Live and learn.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

mrbios

• 2005 Kymco Grandvista 250cc
  • Just crusing along on my 2005 GV250
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2016, 12:03:48 AM »
I suspect mine happened because .... Live and learn.

Same here Mr. Paul.  In my case I was coming from the motorcycle world and was new to scooters.  I saw videos about removing the belt but on other scooters it is not necessary to unlock the rear pulley as it is on the larger Kymcos.  Not a big deal until it cam time to put the belt on.  I put in on the rear pulley first but I had to force the front face plate by pushing it and then putting the nut on and forcing it to place.  Now I know better and I made a video to show the proper way:

PaulC

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()