Author Topic: Like 200i won't start after stalling  (Read 2486 times)

Azmark7

• View Profile
Like 200i won't start after stalling
« on: October 17, 2018, 12:42:51 AM »
Hi all
I am pretty new here, mostly just read the great info on here for tips. Am a bit stumped now what to do
Have a 2014 Like 200 with 6300 miles I bought used a year ago. I live in AZ so with the heat I didn't ride much this summer save for starting it once every week or so. This past week been riding daily and have noticed a strong fuel smell in garage but cannot locate any leaks on the ground or in the engine compartment. Added fresh fuel a few days ago. Yesterday on driving came to a stop sign and the bike stalled. could not restart it at all. It would try to turn it over with no success. Got it towed home and charged the battery. Voltage seems fine, voltage on the starter seems fine. The CELP did fire with 6 blinks (voltage?) So am thinking battery dead/dying. But can't explain smell. Will probably go battery but not sure where to go next. I'm not the most mechanical but have read the manual and figured I'd try here too for suggestions. Thanks in advance.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Like 200i won't start after stalling
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 03:37:44 AM »
Open your gas cap and see if it will start. C'mon, give it a try!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 07:48:10 AM »
It wasn't sarcasm - you can get vacuum blocks that can cause fuelly smells like what you describe.

It sounds to me like the battery or reg/rec is your most likely culprit. Hopefully it's the battery - cheaper to replace!
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

Azmark7

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 02:10:52 PM »
just tried the gas cap trick. no go there. Apologies if i mistook the first response as sarcasm, couldn't tell from the way it was written. :)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 02:21:13 PM by Azmark7 »

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2018, 05:02:28 PM »
Gas smell from many no-start tries?....in other words 'flooded' for a while?

But gas smell at a later time, and you are in very HOT climate? Has it been over-filled - putting gas into the smog parts?
We had another LIKE with gas showing around the gas cap.....and I still don't understand it.

There's a vent

If still running orig battery - I'd start there ----Keep us posted please. These are normally bullet proof models.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Azmark7

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2018, 06:08:28 PM »
Thanks Stig for the reply.

The gas smell came after just normal driving out and about. Upon parking it in the garage i noticed a strong gas smell post driving i never smelled before in previous rides. The only thing I could think of was the gas had sat for some time in the tank over the summer when I almost never drove it.

Yes I live in a very hot climate (Phoenix) and although its garage parked it's still hot in that garage regardless.

I have never over-filled the tank, i always stop when it hits the "bar" below the neck that runs horizontally. Now that you mention it though i noticed a bit of gas around the cap but figured that was shortly after filling the tank. But the smell i noticed was before the fill. Could old gas cause that, i was worried i clogged the injectors?

I have a battery on order now to arrive end of week. The guy i bought the bike off last November of said he changed the battery early 2017. In this climate i'm not surprised, heat kills all batteries. I noticed there's a bit of a pause even trying to turn over which leads me to believe there's not enough juice to start it. Did I read you said that if the battery is too weak the EFI goes crazy? Could that cause a fuel smell?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 06:10:00 PM by Azmark7 »

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2018, 07:18:41 PM »
just tried the gas cap trick. no go there. Apologies if i mistook the first response as sarcasm, couldn't tell from the way it was written. :)
Sarcasm not intended but light-hearted wise guy was intended! I harp on stuff that seems to fix some problems and so far over one Genuine Buddy 150, two Downtown 300i Kymco's and several on here with running/starting problems, the vacuum operated fuel tank vent valve has been the cause. Generally, the tank will vent after a wait and everything returns to normal so it confuses the diagnosis. Popping the gas cap as soon as it occurs usually fixes the EFI machines instantly. But it takes a little while on carb engines.
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2018, 07:27:29 PM »
Possible sites for fuel leak....

INJECTOR

VACUUM LINE AND FUEL LINE

BREATHER LINE

Or the cap itself, or around that 6-bolt fuel pump lid.....or the fuel line or weld seam of the tank?
Fuel smell and leak is a puzzle to me, if it is not due to the heat and fuel being forced out by expansion.

As for the hard starting ....DO you HAVE BRAKELIGHT ON when you pull brake lever and turn key to start??
(if no or flickering brake light , then it is in that little $3 switch by the inner lever end , surely they both don't go at same time - try the other brake lever)

OR >> loose/dirty battery contacts, weak battery, loose spark plug cap or broken inside, loose spark plug, dirty spark plug, valves need adjusting (but you don't have massive mileage for that), loose ground contacts,  fuse (near battery)

As for the slight hesitation when starting - this is common, probably stopped on power stroke. No worries - but does go away with a very strong new battery in my experience.

Please keep us posted. These are known to be pretty bullet proof scooters.

all i got for now...
Stig

« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 07:30:42 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Azmark7

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2018, 08:50:01 PM »
I gotta remember that trick in the future Crossbolt, that really makes a ton of sense. Thanks for the input and no worries on the wise guy, i can usually take a good ribbing (I think i was just frustrated with the scooter in general yesterday.) LOL

Stig - checked out all those locations and no fuel noted, but obviously with it not starting currently i'm gonna want to look again for leaks in those spots once i am able to finally start it. I'm bookmarking those photos. It doesn't sound from what you are saying that fuel smell/issue is causing the non-start (or the stall i experienced at stop light). Considering i was doing a comfortable 45 mph and felt no problems with acceleration, odd noise, etc just before i got to the stop light i'm thinking electrical for the stall/non-start issue.

Brakelight comes on strong and trying both brake levers yields same result with no turn over (just the revving sound) :(. I figured start with simple answer first (Battery) and work backwards from there. The spark plug is nice and tight and last time i checked it looked good (several months ago but not that many miles ago). My father in law is in town next week so if the battery doesn't get it going i'll have him take a look too, especially with any electrical issues.

I'll report back once i get the battery and install it. Thanks again for the suggestions everyone!!

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2018, 09:08:18 PM »
"Revving sound" like starter running but not turning engine?
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

Azmark7

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2018, 11:43:48 PM »
i wish i could post a video or audio on here, would be easier to describe that way... looks like pictures only :(

Sounds like a car trying to turn over when its really cold out.. .slow and labored

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2018, 01:30:28 AM »
Rrrr!....rrr!.....rrrr! That it?
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2018, 09:47:07 AM »
If there's a little delay before the starter turns over, it's struggling to get momentum. Again, looks like battery although the starter solenoid has been known to be a problem on these models.

Could the puke tube have backed up as well? There's a clear tube off the airbox coming straight down to a black bung and a clip - take the bung out and see how much (if anything) comes out. If this is backed right up to the airbox that could start to smell, and it's kind of petrol-ish in the way it stinks.
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

Azmark7

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2018, 11:12:57 PM »
Well... The new battery didn't work. Tested it even to make sure it was good and it is. Starting to wonder if it's the starter given the lag in trying to turn over. After a couple of tries, the fuel smell is present too. I checked that puke tube even and a couple drops of black gunk came out but so little. Anyway, any next step suggestions at this point? I'm a visual person so if you could provide a picture that would be awesome. Appreciate the help!

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2018, 12:11:52 AM »
Fuel smell after a few failed starts could be normal -- flooding. Should NOT leak though.
Thinking...............
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()