Author Topic: 2018 People s150 what type of fuses - flat knife-blade or glass cylindrical?  (Read 5815 times)

colbur

• View Profile
Has anyone bought spare fuses for the 2018 model People S150? I've only had this scooter a few weeks.

My auto-store won't sell me fuses unless I specify 'flat' (i.e. 'knife-blade') or 'glass cylindrical' (cartridge) types.

I have no clue about this stuff.

The People S150 printed owner's manual only gives (on page 45) the fuse specifications as 10A 15A and 25A - nothing about 'flat' or 'cylindrical', nor does the accompanying photograph show this, it's just an indistinct black mass photographed, of the battery area where presumably the fuses insert somewhere. 

Yet the fuse section in my auto-store has many different looking types (not just 'glass cylindrical') including all varieties of flat plastic 'wedge-blade' fuses ('mini' and assorted sizes) and others I've not seen before.

I want spare fuses in case I need to call roadside assistance, as my last 2 Kymcos have both had blown fuses and I've had to learn on the spot, while broken down, how and where to replace them, as roadside assist services around here are often nearly as clueless as me about two wheeled vehicles, they really only know cars, so without my having spare fuses on hand to guide them in such a scenario, the most they could probably do is tow my fused scooter to my dealer's mechanic workshop.

This has me quite bamboozled, can anyone enlighten me?

Cheers.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Someone on here has one of these machines and will post soon. There are two typical locations: under the floor board or under the seat. Both next to the battery.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
Main fuses in scooters are almost always glass cylindrical, and can probably be found in the battery box!
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

jeeves

• Dubrovnik, Croatia
    • View Profile
Main fuses in scooters are almost always glass cylindrical, and can probably be found in the battery box!
Yes, had glass fuses on my scooter, but they are getting hard to find where I live, so I cut the glass fuse holder, and connected a blade fuse holder instead.

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 06:35:53 PM by jeeves »
Agility City 125

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Viper, just a caution: my DT300i has blade fuses and so did the Yager! The Agility 50 had glass tubular fuses...
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

colbur

• View Profile
Thanks for your comments so far everyone.

I've just called and asked the sales dealer's workshop mechanics and even they aren't 100% sure - they think they're probably the glass cylindrical variety but still can't be certain of the length (assuming they actually are the glass cylindrical type).

They also say there are likely some spares pre-inserted somewhere, but again can't be certain. You'd think these people would know these things.

Seems my only options are to:

a) open up the battery case myself and remove each of the three fuse sizes to see whether they're wedge or cylinder, which I'm reluctant to do being no tech head

OR

b) wait till I take it in for its first (1000 km) service and ask the mechanics to check for me - that'll be months away as it's a low mileage/city-hop scooter which, in 3 weeks, has still only done 142 km on the odometer. I want to get spares sooner than that.

So as neither of those options quite work for me, I'd still appreciate hearing from anyone here who knows for sure whether wedge or cylinder (in which case what length cylinder?)

Grateful for your coments so far, any more specific info would be great, cheers.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Well, if you have the correct fuses
 in hand, and the unusual (blowing a fuse on a new scooter) does happen - you'll need to know where they are so you can get back underway again.
So, suggest you now go ahead and open the battery cover, see what spares your scooter came with....and which others are in use there. Buy some if needed....
And then you can rest easy.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

jeeves

• Dubrovnik, Croatia
    • View Profile
Your engine is basically the same as mine and a lot of carb Kymco 152-200ccm scooters.

If my case I have only 2 fuses located next to the battery, also had 1 spare in there.

It's only a few screws holding the battery cover in place. Open it up and see what you got. Take a few pictures if you are not sure and post here or email them to your mechanic.

Agility City 125

colbur

• View Profile
Well, if you have the correct fuses
 in hand, and the unusual (blowing a fuse on a new scooter) does happen - you'll need to know where they are so you can get back underway again.
So, suggest you now go ahead and open the battery cover, see what spares your scooter came with....and which others are in use there. Buy some if needed....
And then you can rest easy.

Stig

Thanks Stig, but I'd have no idea which were spare or otherwise just by opening the battery compartment.

I want the spares to hand to the roadside assist people if needed. When my last two scooters (Agility 125 & Agility 200i, both fairly new) blew fuses and I called these services, their staff didn't even know where my scooter's battery compartment was. I've had to direct them to it using the printed Owners Manual, then hand them the spare fuses. Even they (mainly used to cars) did much fiddling on both occasions to see which spare fuse went where, using trial and error until each of my previous scooters started. And these are mechanics. I'm just someone who wants the right spare fuses to hand to them when needed.

But on this model scooter I can't distinguish the fuse positionings. The printed Owners Manual lists only the amps of the three fuses (10A 15A and 25A), alongside a blurred black photo of the battery compartment with no indication as to which amp fuse sits where.

colbur

• View Profile
Your engine is basically the same as mine and a lot of carb Kymco 152-200ccm scooters.

If my case I have only 2 fuses located next to the battery, also had 1 spare in there.

It's only a few screws holding the battery cover in place. Open it up and see what you got. Take a few pictures if you are not sure and post here or email them to your mechanic.

Thanks Jeeves. This scooter has three fuses listed in the printed owners manual (10A, 15A and 25A).

Opening the battery cover (I have) exposes no fuses, so I'm unable to determine which amp fuse goes where, which might be a spare, or what type of fuses are needed (glass cylinder or plastic wedge).

Attached is a scan of the 'fuses' page in the owners manual. It shows the view inside the battery cover I've just described (probably clearer than a photo by me of same view). It tells me nothing.

Unless you can make more sense of this image than me (?) Would love to hear if you can.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 09:44:28 AM by colbur »

jeeves

• Dubrovnik, Croatia
    • View Profile
Thanks Jeeves. This scooter has three fuses listed in the printed owners manual (10A, 15A and 25A).

Opening the battery cover (I have) exposes no fuses, so I'm unable to determine which amp fuse goes where, which might be a spare, or what type of fuses are needed (glass cylinder or plastic wedge).

Attached is a scan of the 'fuses' page in the owners manual. It shows the view inside the battery cover I've just described (probably clearer than a photo by me of same view). It tells me nothing.

Unless you can make more sense of this image than me (?) Would love to hear if you can.

Cheers.
Ok, looking at the picture from your manual I was waaaay off with my suggestion.

Your battery and fuses are located above the rear brake lights, which makes sense because the fuel tank is under your feet.
Also looking at the picture your scooter has standard size blade fuses like on the picture below. Different colors are different amp values.

Very nice scooter! [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 10:23:03 AM by jeeves »
Agility City 125

jeeves

• Dubrovnik, Croatia
    • View Profile
The fuses look like they are in a fuse holder that you have to open to get to them. This is holder I have in my parts box

Agility City 125

jeeves

• Dubrovnik, Croatia
    • View Profile
Took this picture at a hardware store today. It costs about 1.25US$

Agility City 125

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
Hooray, blade fuses! For once, common sense prevails. Very few bikes have them, though :(
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

colbur

• View Profile
Ok, looking at the picture from your manual I was waaaay off with my suggestion.

Your battery and fuses are located above the rear brake lights, which makes sense because the fuel tank is under your feet.
Also looking at the picture your scooter has standard size blade fuses like on the picture below. Different colors are different amp values.

Very nice scooter! [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Many thanks for your help & photos Jeeves. How are you able to see that the fuses are blade types?

However, I'm not sure how you're concluding that the battery on my scooter is where you say.

On the attached images here (again from my owners manual), you'll see the battery is not above the rear brake lights, but at the front of the scooter behind a panel.

Were you maybe looking at an online manual for an older version of this scooter? Mine is the 2018 model, and these images I've posted on our thread are all from this 2018 model's printed owners manual.

As we're talking at cross purposes re the battery's position, might this also mean that my fuses might not be the wedge/blade type you've concluded they are? Or is something you haven't mentioned making you certain they're this type of fuse, rather than glass cylinder ones?

Hate to be a pest, but any further clarity from you would be hugely appreciated.

Cheers.

(Also see my next reply for another pic of battery position, photographed from a different angle)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 02:12:40 AM by colbur »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()