Author Topic: Headlight Bulb - H4 or S2?  (Read 47875 times)

racewalker

• View Profile
Re: Headlight Bulb - H4 or S2?
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2011, 01:02:21 AM »
If you can fit an H4 bulb then I would run a HID xenon system on it. Runs 35 watt and is very bright. I run a pair of them on my people S125. They move in and out for the hi and low beam. I have run them for 3 years with no problems. expensive but worth every cent if you run in the country at night.
08 People S 125
11 Downtown 300i

jstluise

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2011, 01:47:44 AM »
hello , i put a 50/50 watt ba20d zenon bulb in my agility 125 and it melted the socket be very carefull  i also put led turn singnals on my bike and added 2 load resistors  from radio shack part # 271-0132 for about two bucks and they work great, i am going to try to modifiy housing to accept h4 bulb will let you know how that works out also i tryed wiring a relay off the headlight switch [ before the socket melted] and it was just to much for the stator,    bryan

Where did you find a xenon BA20D bulb?  Just curious, because I could only find halogen BA20D.  Also, the xenon bulbs get hotter than the regular halogen bulbs, which may explain the melting.  I thought I read about people using 55/55W xenon H4 bulbs (for those who have the correct model) without any problems.  I'd still be careful though.

Let me know how the conversion to H4 goes...I was actually thinking of doing the same since there are a lot of options for H4.  For example, you can get a PIAA 35W bulb that pulls 35W but looks like 60W.

racewalker

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2011, 10:41:27 AM »
I have a pair in h8 format. waist of money!
08 People S 125
11 Downtown 300i

jstluise

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2011, 03:32:42 PM »

Pair of what?  Driving lights?

racewalker

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2011, 10:59:46 AM »
Pair of what?  Driving lights?
For example, you can get a PIAA 35W bulb that pulls 35W but looks like 60W.

08 People S 125
11 Downtown 300i

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2011, 03:21:57 PM »
For example, you can get a PIAA 35W bulb that pulls 35W but looks like 60W.

I really like the PIAA Cross Country HID lights - but I can't condone putting HID bulbs behind lenses not made for them.  The conversion kits are as cheap as $45 instead of the $450 for the Cross Country's, and they light the road well - but they glare oncoming drivers and will get you bumped off the road by pissed off car drivers.

These are the Cross Country's. 

If you want as much light as possible in the stock housing then you could change the socket from the S2 to an H4 and replace the mount.  But then I'd also wire it through a relay and fuse directly to the battery.  You might also want to vent it out the back a little, and switching other lights to LED to make up for the increased load would be a good idea.

The advantages to external PIAA lights would be that you can aim them separately from the bike light, including having them follow the front wheel.  You can also turn them off when you don't need them and easily remove them to put on another bike if you trade up.

These PIAA 2100's are 55w halogen and look really good center mounted underthe cowling (on the triple clamp).  You could mount one of these and an ON/ON switch to switch between it and your standard light.

These are the PIAA  004X 35W lamps.  You can tell the 35W from the 55w because the 35W only have one mounting hole in the base.

2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

jstluise

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2011, 03:30:47 AM »
Good info on the lights.  I think I am going to keep an eye out for the 004X lamps and mount it somewhat like kriden showed.  I do like the sounds of the 2100's mounted under the cowling...I didn't think there was enough room (when suspension is fully compressed), but I didn't check.  The only con I see with the 2100 is that it can only be mounted horizontally and that it only gives you a 15 degree beam.  The 004X can be mounted with any orientation and they provide a 25 degree beam.  Noticeable?  I dunno.

In regards to the 004X, I found that the 004XT are easier to find and less expensive.  Only bad thing is that they come with 55W bulbs, so it would require a swap to 35W.  But, I'd have spare 55W if I move the lights to another vehicle.

I am considering the modification of S2 to H4, but it is difficult to find a H4 socket.  I think the best option would be to hit a wrecking yard and get a headlight housing or something.  I'd also check into buying a body panel off an older Agility that already has H4...might be more expensive but less of a hassle trying to modify the existing one.  With the H4, you can stick in a 35W PIAA to get a lot of light...AND the beam would be the same temperature as the PIAA running light  :P

Everything else is going to LED (turn signals and brake light) to minimize power consumption.

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2011, 05:42:19 AM »
Jim Davis owns Eastern Beaver and will wire you up an H4 relay kit and all you'll have to do is tell him the lengths.  He has a standard H4 kit for $45, but to use the ba20d stock plug for the relay he might charge you a few extra bucks.  I can personally recommend his work and his prices are only a little bit higher than what it would cost you to do it yourself.  You could use his standard kit and splice it into the stock wires with posilocks - then save the ba20d socket in case you want to put it back to stock to sell the bike.

http://easternbeaver.com/Main/Products/H4_Kits/h4_kits.html
2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

jstluise

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2011, 03:08:41 PM »
Jim Davis owns Eastern Beaver and will wire you up an H4 relay kit and all you'll have to do is tell him the lengths.  He has a standard H4 kit for $45, but to use the ba20d stock plug for the relay he might charge you a few extra bucks.  I can personally recommend his work and his prices are only a little bit higher than what it would cost you to do it yourself.  You could use his standard kit and splice it into the stock wires with posilocks - then save the ba20d socket in case you want to put it back to stock to sell the bike.

http://easternbeaver.com/Main/Products/H4_Kits/h4_kits.html

I have no problem wiring up a relay with the plug for the H4 (like shown on his website).  My concern was about actually mounting the bulb into the housing....I'm not sure how that would be done without modifying the existing plastic mount that holds the ba20d.  Am I missing something here?  Will a H4 bulb fit into the current setup with the only issue being the electrical plug?

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2011, 03:57:08 PM »
Looks like you can replace the whole headlight assembly for about $55 - but you need to know the year which has/had the H4 bulb/reflector/plug.  It will come with the lens/reflector/wiring.  I would still wire a relay and power it directly from the battery.  Either that or you'll have to rig a way to mount the bulb in your existing headlight assembly.
2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

bthmtech

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2011, 08:48:13 PM »
 I put in a halogen bulb from SCOOTERCRAFT  and wired the 194 bulb sockets to my high beams and put 75 lumen led bubs in , it worked great Igot hem from SUPERBRIGHT LEDS, I also did away with the load resistors and got a led flasher from them  . SCOOTERWEST sells the zenon bulb that I used for almost 2 years but they are out of stock on it now.I also got the new socket by ordering a wiring harness for a zx50 from kymco for 15 bucks, the socket has male spade terminals on it so its very easy to hookup , bryan

jstluise

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2011, 03:41:39 PM »
I put in a halogen bulb from SCOOTERCRAFT  and wired the 194 bulb sockets to my high beams and put 75 lumen led bubs in , it worked great Igot hem from SUPERBRIGHT LEDS, I also did away with the load resistors and got a led flasher from them  . SCOOTERWEST sells the zenon bulb that I used for almost 2 years but they are out of stock on it now.I also got the new socket by ordering a wiring harness for a zx50 from kymco for 15 bucks, the socket has male spade terminals on it so its very easy to hookup , bryan

So you went back to the BA20D?  Didn't want to try the H4 mod?

bthmtech

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2011, 09:24:42 PM »
 Not after I found good bulbs,the leds are awsome ,they made the most improvement , try that combo before modifying housing it is very bright   ,   let there be light    bryan

ScooterBus

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2011, 05:00:21 AM »
I just bought a HID kit from ddmtuning.com for around $45 and used an H11 bulb kit. I kept the clear plastic protective cover it was shipped with and just cut a few inch's off it. This 1" of cover that is threaded together slid into the S2 housing perfect. I used tie straps to secure the H11 housing from coming out of the base. I ran the wires from the battery (fused) to a switch I installed just below the ignition switch. I taped up the old wiring that went to the old S2 bulb housing since I dont use the high-low beam handle bar switch any more. The original wiring didn't handle the power since the HID bulb would flicker, thats why I ran the wires from the battery. I just used electrical connectors to wire into the H11 plug from the kit. I also had to adjust the light pattern by screwing in (clockwise) the headlight adjustment screw on the back isde of the head light and also used 2 nylon 1/2" long spacers at the bottom head light mounting screws (six total)to kick the head light out or up to get the pattern up and down the road for distance. This worked great, it lit both sides of the raod up and gave me the near or low beam and hight beam long distance light pattern with out blinding any one. I can see at least 50-75 yards away and both side of the road to watch for dear, and all the signs are lit up at 1-2 blocks away. The only draw back is I have to charge the battery after using the headlight since it draws too much power.   

marluper

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2011, 04:33:20 AM »
Can someone explain how to actually remove the S2 bulb itself?  I've tried to pull it out of the casing but it is in there quite snugly and I'm afraid to pull to hard and break it.  Am I missing some trick here?

Thanks.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()