Author Topic: 1500 mile Ozarks Ride Trip  (Read 2140 times)

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
1500 mile Ozarks Ride Trip
« on: April 17, 2017, 12:56:07 PM »
This coming Thursday, I'm riding solo to Central Missouri to attend a motorcycle Meet and Greet sponsored by the Goldwing Owners Forum. I've attended these in the past when I had my Goldwing and just stuck around this bunch even after selling my GW and moving back to Maxiscooters. They're a good bunch and raze me some about riding scooters but it's all in good fun. They found out they can't outride me in the twisties on a scooter and have their respect but more, we've forged friendships like here on the Kymco forum. Would be cool to see some M&G's here too.

I've decided to ride solo even though I was invited to ride with a group of GW's from Texas. They'll ride mostly the super slap at 75-80 mph and even though my SW can easily keep up...It's not my cup of tea. I like a slower pace and stop along the way and take pics and look at the sights. Besides, we have a group ride planned for Saturday riding through the Ozarks.

My ride will take me up through SE Oklahoma, through Broken Bow, the Quachita Mountains and up through the Ozarks, thru Branson. May ride the Pig Trail again. On my return route I've booked a room in a stone lodge, the Queen Wilihmena Lodge at Queen Wilihmena State Park that sits on top of Rich Mountain. It recently underwent a major restoration that took over a year. It's a gorgeous setting with incredible vistas and a popular ride spot for motorcycling Talimena Drive that traverses from Mena,  Arkansas to Talihena, Oklahoma. Their restaurant at the lodge is incredible too for a great breakfast brunch. I plan to ride Talimena Drive on my way back.

I'll take lots of pics and keep this page updated as this trip unfolds.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 12:59:22 PM by Scooter Dan »
2003 Honda Silverwing ABS
2005 Kymco Bet and Win 250

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
Re: 1500 mile Ozarks Ride Trip
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 03:36:32 PM »
Sounds great Dan. I remember my trip on my SW to the Dragon's Tail. It was such great fun. I've also have ridden, on my Harley, on the Queen Wilihmena from Mena Ak. The CMA headquarters was on Iron mountain between Mena and Hatfield Ak. I was with the CMA for 6 years and was the Chaplin for the Wheels of Grace chapter of CMA in Memphis.
Will be looking forward to your rides updates and pics. Do be safe and I wish I could join you, but my days of long rides are over. My prayers will be with you.

Mac
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 03:51:31 PM »
Sounds great Dan. I remember my trip on my SW to the Dragon's Tail. It was such great fun. I've also have ridden, on my Harley, on the Queen Wilihmena from Mena Ak. The CMA headquarters was on Iron mountain between Mena and Hatfield Ak. I was with the CMA for 6 years and was the Chaplin for the Wheels of Grace chapter of CMA in Memphis.
Will be looking forward to your rides updates and pics. Do be safe and I wish I could join you, but my days of long rides are over. My prayers will be with you.

Mac

Thanks Mac. Not sure how many more long rides I have left as I turn 67 tomorrow? Just thank the good Lord for all my blessings right now and hope I get a good run on this health of mine.

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 04:21:18 PM »
Sounds awesome, would be fun to go but that's an eve bigger ride from So Cal. :)
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 12:41:19 PM »
Sounds awesome, would be fun to go but that's an eve bigger ride from So Cal. :)

We trailered our Burgman 400 out to San Diego to visit our son a few years back. Rode up the Coast Hwy. through San Clemente, Laguna Beach and up to Huntington Beach......Me ole stomping grounds. Lived there in 68. My how Newport Beach has grown.

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 12:57:33 PM »
Looks like a wet cold weekend for this ride as there's a 90 percent chance of rain and temps in low fifties. Going to revamp my riding gear and plan for winter riding. Brrrr. I may work my way up most of the way on Thursday and leave a shorter portion left to ride in the rain. Get to try out my new riding overpants I got for Christmas.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2017, 01:24:41 PM »
Really sounds like a great trip! I am with you about the group rides at 80% that sucks. My Dad hated that as well. Wish you well, ride safe.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
Scooter Dan
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2017, 01:30:00 PM »
Sounds like you have a great trip planned. I hope for your sake everything goes as planned. Like a few others here, my long rides days are over.
I have fond memories of rides with the guys when I was younger and in good health.
Will watch for your updates and pictures.
Ride safe. boo
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2017, 04:56:15 PM »
We trailered our Burgman 400 out to San Diego to visit our son a few years back. Rode up the Coast Hwy. through San Clemente, Laguna Beach and up to Huntington Beach......Me ole stomping grounds. Lived there in 68. My how Newport Beach has grown.

I've trailered my Burgman 650 one year to Moab and took a ride over to Durango and up to Silverton, another year I just loaded it into the back of my truck (I bought a nice wide arched folding ramp) and took it out to Durango riding up through Ouray and back. Things have changed quite a bit since I moved back out here in 84 so I can imagine the change since 68. Costa Mesa I thought was done with development but very recently there is a big push to take out industrial areas and built condos or even taking out single family homes for them. There is going to be an explosion in population soon cramming more people in around here. It's shocking the sudden change and I can only imagine the change in local traffic.

Looks like a wet cold weekend for this ride as there's a 90 percent chance of rain and temps in low fifties.

Oh that's no fun and you definitely need to be prepared for that. I got caught once coming home from work just 15 miles in a cold rain like that. My Gore Tex jacket was fine but I just had jeans on. As the cold water hit my jacket it was channeled down into my crotch, did I say the water was cold.
'14 White MyRoad 700i

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2017, 05:51:54 PM »
Sounds like a great time. I look forward to your pictures. I'm with you. I like to cruise at a slower pace and take in the scenery and stop when I like.

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2017, 03:19:40 AM »
This meet and greet just got canceled due to tornado's/dangerous weather predicted by the National Weather Service for central Missouri. I was pretty bummed about it but Deb thinks I need to get away on a bike trip as I'm revamping my plans. Never done a moto camping trip before as I may go that route.

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2017, 03:55:44 AM »
Or, ride the Kymco 200 miles north to this area, the Quachita Mtns. and get a cabin for a few nights and ride around the National Forest. Just not sure my backside can handle a couple hundred miles on the Kymco? Interesting options though or could trailer up the BW and day ride the mountains?

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2017, 04:26:19 AM »
Sorry to hear they canceled but I can understand since scooters weren't really meant to fly through the air like that. Your backup plans sound pretty good too.
'14 White MyRoad 700i

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2017, 12:00:49 PM »
Decided to ride the SW up to the Quachita Mountains in SE Oklahoma/SW Arkansas thru Monday. No Moto camping though as it takes some time and planning to fit camping gear on a scooter. However I am renting a cabin and ride the twisties and do some hiking for a few days. I'll keep y'all posted as this event unfolds.

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2017, 12:31:41 AM »
Rode about 175 miles north to Broken Bow, OK this afternoon under ominous skies but never rained. Nice temps in the seventies. Found my cabin and out for some dinner. Tomorrow I'll head up to Talimena Drive and check out some twisties. The SW is a mileage eater as a touring scooter. Interestingly I've owned this scooter for several years but hadn't done any long rides on it yet. We got into trailering the bike to our ride destinations and doing shorter rides.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()