Author Topic: Here is the reason why scooters get a bad wrap.  (Read 3413 times)

kingkymco125

• View Profile
Here is the reason why scooters get a bad wrap.
« on: May 19, 2015, 08:12:39 PM »
Hello scooter peeps:

You know May is sweeps month when they decide to do stories like this. We already get a bad wrap. Now this ensures how all the cagers will hate us even more. Most of these are small, Chinese scooters they show instead of the quality brands. Part 2 is airing tonight.
http://www.8newsnow.com/story/29095133/i-team
David M.  Las Vegas, Nevada
New 2012 Kymco Agility 125cc bike

Chris0381

• View Profile
Re: Here is the reason why scooters get a bad wrap.
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 10:03:26 PM »
Thats why I made a posting a while back.

Here in Connecticut, they removed the 30 MPH limit and it stands as 2 HP and 49cc.

I think they have to impound the bike and run it on a dynometer to prove its over 2 HP or summons you to go to an MV office that has one.

Another reason I don't want a shiny chambered/expansion exhaust shouting out I'm a high performance modded scooter.
2013 Super 8 50cc 2T Air Cooled Mfg'd 2012
Stock pipe derestriction
Smooth Boss
6.5gm Dr Pulley sliders
Malossi Torsion Controller
Malossi Fly Clutch- yellow springs
Polini Variator
#95 Main Jet
Purple Malossi Contra Spring
42 MPH on the flats with the wind

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 10:17:17 PM »
Fist of all, f*** NEVADA. Such a bullsh** state, sorry if that offends anyone. Secondly, your telling me the cops really have nothing better to do than write up thousands of tickets to people riding 49cc scooters going 34mph? Wow. Here in Oregon we have always had to have license, insurance, reg. etc for "mopeds", but the cops don't give a damn if you can go 50+ even tho it says 30mph for a "moped".
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 10:29:57 PM »
In are state a moped is now a 100 cc but cant go over 35.and cant have gears or shift.only thing I like about this is thers more room for mods.I see more people trying to get moped stickers for 125 scoots.

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 11:40:33 PM »
In are state a moped is now a 100 cc but cant go over 35.and cant have gears or shift.only thing I like about this is thers more room for mods.I see more people trying to get moped stickers for 125 scoots.

That's an awesome law, is there any HP restriction? Would be cool to do a 70cc build that RAPED up to 35mph and just go light to light beside a cop hahaha. 0-35 in 3 seconds could be a realistic goal.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 12:12:02 AM »
That's an awesome law, is there any HP restriction? Would be cool to do a 70cc build that RAPED up to 35mph and just go light to light beside a cop hahaha. 0-35 in 3 seconds could be a realistic goal.
  the hp.is 2.5 but I might be wrong.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 01:05:43 AM »
Hey, I'm getting an advert at the bottom of this page for a PowerMax 50cc scooter for $495 !!
HotDang!

But, to your post: There is nobody getting mad at scooter riders in my town - they don't have a clue what I'm riding....they just try and squash it on principal because it ain't an F-150!
Can't imagine living somewhere where scooters are a common issue!

Sorry for your problem - but yeah, I can see where a flock of 50cc scoots as rolling chicanes might get some people angry. Just stay on the appropriate streets with speeds closer to the 30MPH of a scoot and maybe they won't get so upset?
I don't know - one of my scooter Heros is a fellow who rode a Metropolitan all over SoCal - even camping up in the mountains - and he never seemed to have any serious problems with the cars. His antics darn near convinced me to buy a Met or a Vino!

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

kingkymco125

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 07:32:06 AM »
Here is part 2 to the story that aired last night. http://www.8newsnow.com/story/29105190/i-team

I have never had a problem with these two wheel vehicles. I do have a car, but there is no way I am gonna give up having my Agility 125 as another form of transportation. Besides, she is so much fun to ride.  I love the thrill of exploring new places that I would not explore in my car. My bike has been out to The Pioneer Saloon a bunch of times in world famous Good Springs, NV. She has also been out to Overaton, NV with some of my scooter peeps.

The problem I see here is the fact that the general population in Metro Vegas believes that all scooters are 50cc when they are not. I bet these people never even heard of Vespa which set the stage for the scooter lifestyle.

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2015, 10:34:35 AM »
Go ahead and shoot me but if it's on the road it should be registered, and insured no matter the size.
That said they sure do rip off some crappy scooters in Sin City.....

Be Big,
AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

kingkymco125

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2015, 07:55:47 PM »
Go ahead and shoot me but if it's on the road it should be registered, and insured no matter the size.

Be Big,
AMAC

AMAC:

I agree with you on this. I went over to the local community college to take the basic motorcycle safety riders course. I learned so much about riding a manual transmission motorcycle that I did not learn from riding my scooter. I believe that anyone who rides a scooter, or a motorcycle should be required to take a basic course. The people out here in Vegas just do not give a sh**. Of course it is the cheap Chicom scooters that give those who ride a bad rap. I could never go back to riding one of those crap bikes.  Another issue I see with those who ride these Chinese bikes is that the people who have one treat them like crap. They literally do not take care of them by not changing the oil, and gear oil. They think these bikes are literally toys that do not require basic maintnance which just proves ignorance on their part.

scrollderf

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2015, 03:21:25 AM »
Totally agree with AMAC that ALL vehicles on the road should be licensed and insured. That includes mopeds and scooter of any displacement. IMHO.
Formerly 03 AA500 now DT300

0BARK4322

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2015, 12:05:18 AM »

Be Big,
AMAC
Oh shoot, I though they were the norm....and it should be no problem anyway (regular drivers license , registration and insurance....so why worry
ALL STOCK

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2015, 03:03:13 PM »
Not sure how many people know I'm riding a scooter because of the twin headlights and fairing shaped front end of the Honda. I get a lot of waves from motorcycles because of that low slung sport bike front profile.
The Kymco LIKE200i is a different matter. I think there might be a lot of giggling going on inside those helmets. Big giant canary colored guy with a massive white helmet astride a two colored plastic scooter wearing giant Italian mirror/ears.
S'OK with me ......giggling means they see me! :-)
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

0BARK4322

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2015, 06:02:36 PM »
Not sure how many people know I'm riding a scooter because of the twin headlights and fairing shaped front end of the Honda. I get a lot of waves from motorcycles because of that low slung sport bike front profile.
The Kymco LIKE200i is a different matter. I think there might be a lot of giggling going on inside those helmets. Big giant canary colored guy with a massive white helmet astride a two colored plastic scooter wearing giant Italian mirror/ears.
S'OK with me ......giggling means they see me! :-)
Stig
Hey, I get """GET A REAL BIKE""" until I let one of them sit on it and then they start to ask question (where's the gas, which is the brakes...lol) dum dums ::)
ALL STOCK

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()