Author Topic: If you had to buy a scooter again?  (Read 15707 times)

Mscmkr

• View Profile
If you had to buy a scooter again?
« on: April 21, 2015, 09:45:38 AM »
If you had to buy a scooter again would you guys buy the same one or would you buy something else? Would you buy a different brand bike? Or maybe just a different model? Any info here would be much appreciated! I am very much in love with the People GT 300i, but I would love some input on any other bikes I should check out before any decisions are made. Throw out any suggestions on bikes you have either seen or heard of and I will try my best to check them out and maybe even give them a test ride? I will write some reviews on the ones I got to see in person?

Have a great week and ride safe, mscmkr

Chris0381

• View Profile
Re: If you had to buy a scooter again?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 10:50:05 AM »
With the lack of readily available Kymco parts, I'd probably buy a Honda Rukus or Zuma and not a Kymco.

When I call up parts places to get parts, they just cant tell me if the part will work or not. I think the engine number thats none QMB throws them for a loop.

I cant find a simple head gasket in the USA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Look into a Vespa, Piaggio, or Zuma.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 10:55:08 AM by Chris0381 »
2013 Super 8 50cc 2T Air Cooled Mfg'd 2012
Stock pipe derestriction
Smooth Boss
6.5gm Dr Pulley sliders
Malossi Torsion Controller
Malossi Fly Clutch- yellow springs
Polini Variator
#95 Main Jet
Purple Malossi Contra Spring
42 MPH on the flats with the wind

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
I bought a GT
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 01:06:08 PM »
about two or three years ago. It has been great.
When It wears out, i'll go back for another GT, unless something better comes along.
The GT has exceeded my expectations in every way.
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

Budz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 02:32:03 PM »
People GT300i, for sure!

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 03:41:37 PM »
If I was buying in the 300 class it would be another Kymco.
The Forza although it has ABS is a little slow and fat. I don't do BV anymore after bad service locally. Same goes for the Vespas. I Would consider a SYM Citycom. It's a bit slower than the others but is a workhorse.

I can also get the Kymco's at deep discounts. Not going to happen with Honda etal.

Be Big,
AMAC
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 03:53:17 PM »
I've had my Super 8 over 4 years and 19,000 miles.  I have no regrets.  I haven't had any problems getting parts and I do my own service.  I also have an Aprilia Sport City 250.  4 years and nearly 25,000 miles.  No regrets on it either although there are no Aprilia dealers in Alabama so I'm not sure I'd buy another on in the future. 

The one thing that does bug me about both of my scooters is the gas cap under the seat and I'd prefer larger gas tanks.  I'm still waiting for someone to make the perfect scooter for me.

One thing to consider, whatever you buy is dealer support.  It's not that important if you do your own servicing.  If I was looking for a 300cc scooter the 2 Kymcos would be at the top of my list.  I wouldn't even consider the Forza.  I don't care for it or the local Honda dealer.  I would consider the Piaggio BV350.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Wil B.

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 04:53:23 PM »
I'm totally satisfied with my 2 Kymcos.  Both bought new.  Price was reasonable.  I feel the performance of both scoots is better than the equivalent from Honda, Yamaha, or Piaggio (Vespa.)  From what I can see, the build quality is high. These are serious vehicles not 'disposable.'  And several dealers in my area if I need them.

2004 Kymco Super 9
2010 Kymco Yager 200gt

Both scoots have been reliable!

Wil B.
Broadview, IL
Wil B.

2010 Kymco Yager 200
2004 Ktmco Super 9
2014 Honda CTX
"I am not a number. I'm a FREE MAN!"

2wheelfun

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 06:41:23 PM »
Love my movie 150, I have no regrets it's everything a 150 should be. Speaking of the future a 250/300cc would be my choice, who doesn't want more power/speed. Bigger wheels would be in order too. 12in wheels are better than 10in but 14/16in wheels definitely would
improve the ride. Kymco is a brand I will consider for one.

bluesin

• 2012 DT 300i
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2015, 07:40:37 PM »
"If I was buying in the 300 class it would be another Kymco.
The Forza although it has ABS is a little slow and fat."   -Amac

I wholeheartedly agree with this.

I would not hesitate to buy another Downtown 300i.

If I wanted to upgrade , I'd like to go for the Exciting 400i ( but- I guess I'd have to import it ) . :(

http://www.kymco.com/product/overview.asp?MotorCTID=FFE8A5AF-1EB4-485F-AFD2-D2BE41FF714E

http://www.visordown.com/road-tests-first-rides/first-ride-kymco-xciting-400i-review/25553.html
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 07:56:59 PM by bluesin »
"There is a Fifth Dimension beyond which is known to Man. It is a Dimension as vast as Space and as timeless as Infinity......It is an area which we call 'The Twilight Zone' .   "Rod Serling

souzamoto

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2015, 10:02:33 PM »
With the lack of readily available Kymco parts, I'd probably buy a Honda Rukus or Zuma and not a Kymco.

When I call up parts places to get parts, they just cant tell me if the part will work or not. I think the engine number thats none QMB throws them for a loop.

I cant find a simple head gasket in the USA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Look into a Vespa, Piaggio, or Zuma.

I'm curious what parts are you not available to get? What head gasket, for what model, can you not find in the US?
As far as I know, Kymco USA has a great fill rate on parts orders to their dealers.

0BARK4322

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2015, 12:09:33 AM »
Hummmmm, I would like to get the people 300 but at $5000...... :o :o :o :o
ALL STOCK

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2015, 01:27:34 AM »
I love my scoots , but if were to buy again - I'd be looking at a CB300F for $3999.00
Great 2-wheeled value.

Most of us look hard for the best value with our limited 2-wheel funds.

I find the 300 Kymcos to be priced too high for a 2nd tier scooter.
Is the HONDA NSS300 {Forza} too expensive - probably; but surely a KYMCO 300 should not be selling for the same price a few yards away on the same dealer's floor.
Kymco makes a fine Asian scooter....but they are not Yamahas, Hondas or Suzukis, and the price should reflect that.
 Fish
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2015, 02:35:56 AM »
I really like my Like, but I wish it had a bit more power. I really like the look of the Vespa GTS 300 or the Piaggio BV 350. One of those will be my next purchase. At some point I'll get back to adding an M/C to my stable.

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2015, 02:57:57 AM »

Most of us look hard for the best value with our limited 2-wheel funds.

I find the 300 Kymcos to be priced too high for a 2nd tier scooter.
Is the HONDA NSS300 {Forza} too expensive - probably; but surely a KYMCO 300 should not be selling for the same price a few yards away on the same dealer's floor.
Kymco makes a fine Asian scooter....but they are not Yamahas, Hondas or Suzukis, and the price should reflect that.
 Fish

MSRP does not always reflect real world prices.  I could have easily bought a new DT300 or 300GTI for under $4000.  Honda's on the other hand tend to sell for well over MSRP after all the fees dealers add on.  The local Kymco dealer has a left over DT300 that I could probably get for under $3500.  The local Honda dealer is known for additional fees. 

On top of that only Honda makes a scooter that directly compares to the Kymco 300s and IMO it comes up short yet is likely to cost at least $1000 to $2000 more in the real world.

The CB300 is a nice bike but is hard to compare directly to a similar sized scooter.  It will perform better but looses out on comfort and practicality. 
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 01:00:49 PM by klaviator »
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Mscmkr

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2015, 06:35:24 AM »
Please tell me how and where I can buy a new 300GTi for under $4000!! If this is the case I would buy one TODAY!!! I was at a dealer in Tucson and he could only find an incentive for $300. Any info on this would be MUCH appreciated!

Thanks everyone and ride safe, mscmkr

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()