Author Topic: moded 05' need some advice  (Read 1174 times)

magordon7

• View Profile
moded 05' need some advice
« on: July 04, 2010, 05:39:15 AM »
hey, i just purchased a 05 super 9 from a dealer with 1500 miles in great condition. this is my deal. i know its not stock, it has a turbokit exhaust and no rev limit. gps tracked my speed at 42mph at 8000rpm on flat ground.it will easily sail past that on up to 9500. and only then i back off i have no idea what the scooter is safely able to achieve without damaging the internal components. i know the motor sounds strong and smooth at 8000rmp after that seems to be stretching it. any advice on how many rpm's this scooter can safely handle? also is there an easy way to find out what other work may have been done without paying a mechanic?

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: moded 05' need some advice
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 08:55:33 PM »
That engine base can turn 12'000 rpm's w/ the stock crank. so fear not. Look for an aftermarket intake system, as most people will replace the stock air box. Also the variator/clutch may have been replaced. The stock parts are non descript, plain looking. Aftermarket parts will have their name on them. You can check the rollers/springs while in there to see if they have been replaced, or if they need replacing. The last thing would be the drive belt. Most people will replace the factory Bando Belt w/ a Malossi Kevlar Yours should measure 17mm across the top if it is still good. 18.5mm is new, and 17mm is the limit. Good luck w/ the scoot. It is my personal favorite model.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

magordon7

• View Profile
Re: moded 05' need some advice
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 12:09:17 AM »
hey man thanks for the input. i am new to the scooter deal. personally id rather be on a gsxr 750. but fiance wont allow and i dont have a lincense for the moment so my super 9 has given me some freedom.. lol i seen some other posts and you seem to be knowledgable. i like the idea of tuning up my s-9 seems like it could be fun. ive looked over and most seems stock. the turbokit i have is the 1 to 2 with the short straight tip not curved. flat ground will run to 9500 and the spedo is maxed out. if i upgrade intake/ air filter what do you recomend in parts and process?

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()