Author Topic: What about that torque- spring- thing??  (Read 5581 times)

buzzbomb

• View Profile
What about that torque- spring- thing??
« on: June 16, 2010, 08:35:53 AM »
Hey guys- So, I got my new Malossi Delta clutch, and a Malossi yellow torque spring. Pulled the old one, and the new spring is a smaller diameter, so the stock cylinder- sleeve thing will not fit the new spring. I put it together without the sleeve, but, what to do? I assume I need that cylinder there.... I have not tried riding it yet.
It seems Malossi, and others, don't specifically list my S9 air cooled as a fitment on most parts I have looked for, so I have to guess at the application, as they have about 12,999 different models other than a S9 air cooled. Mine is a 2008, BTW. I got it right from Malossi USA, and they did not show many different springs for my application.
I understand that shimming the spring increases its stiffness, so will the cylinders' absence be a loss to performance, or can it just blow up on me, or something drastic....? ???

yogi

• View Profile
Re: What about that torque- spring- thing??
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 05:55:18 PM »
Ive just bought and fitted a Malossi white torque spring fitted spot on to my a/c 9 really pleased with acceleration now,just dropped a bit off top end :-D

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 06:57:46 PM »
If the clutch fits the bell correctly you may have to get the white spring, There are two basic clutches. One is a 105mm, and the other is a 107mm Thye 107 is the one that has a larger spring, If you need to run the yellow spring you have to get the 107mm clutch, and bell. Otherwise order the white spring, and use the stock bell. Do not ride it w/ out the collars in place. The bottom one is a dust seal, and the upper one protects the spring from pre-mature wear
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

buzzbomb

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 08:25:16 AM »
If the clutch fits the bell correctly you may have to get the white spring, There are two basic clutches. One is a 105mm, and the other is a 107mm Thye 107 is the one that has a larger spring, If you need to run the yellow spring you have to get the 107mm clutch, and bell. Otherwise order the white spring, and use the stock bell. Do not ride it w/ out the collars in place. The bottom one is a dust seal, and the upper one protects the spring from pre-mature wear

Well, Zombie, I think you are on to something here- the new Malossi clutch is indeed about 2 mm smaller- the bell is a noticeably looser fit. I measured the stock bell at 107mm.
SO- ... new , smaller bell and white spring? Does Malossi have that on their site?
I just got the clutch, so I will have to run that, too bad the spring and bell do not fit....
Like I said before, they do not really give you these details when you order online...
I guess the 2mm smaller clutch does not hook  up as well with the smaller bell. I have 6.5 g rollers in now, and with the new clutch and yellow spring, top speed is exactly like stock, and RPMs never exceed 7200, with the new unrestricted CDI I got.
SO-... am I as far as the stock carb and exhaust will allow, or is there more speed in the clutch components yet? How, exactly, will the engine rev higher, with the ignition timing as it is, with no possible adjusting? I know higher RPMs = higher top end. I am sort of stuck now. I know this thing can do better!!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 11:43:45 PM »
You would be better off getting the 107mm clutch to fit your bell. The bell costs more than the clutch! Then you can run the yellow spring. That is the set up I run. The higher rpm's are from the rollers. The lighter you go the higher the engine can rev. Also the heavier the clutch springs the longer the delay before engaging. I run my springs just below the powerband of the pipe. When I take off at full throttle the engine is turning 7-8,000 rpm, and is in the power band within 2 seconds or so. The clutch does not add any speed it simply adjusts when you want the scoot to have full lock up
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

buzzbomb

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 07:09:06 AM »
Well, Zombie, ... I see the 107 mm clutch would be easier to fix my situation- BUT- I just dropped $100 on the clutch, and I did find a bell at Moped Hospital for $60- less than a new clutch, but I still need the white spring, also.
 Anyone need a deal on a Malossi 105mm clutch...... used 8 miles.....? >:(
 I will try lighter rollers-but I think the real solution is the 70 cc setup and a carb and pipe...... ::)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2010, 07:12:08 AM »
What do you want for the clutch? I may be able to use it on an old Aero engine.

buzzbomb

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2010, 03:01:32 AM »
well Zombie, I have been thinking..... If I get the new 107mm clutch, I still cannot run the Malossi yellow spring on my stock driver with the stock sleeve- spacer- thing. I may get a new 105mm bell and find a spring that will fit the stock driver- the stock spring is about 50 mm ID and the new Malossi is about 45mm. Where can I find either a spacer to fit or a new spring, stiffer of course? So if I find a spring, the spacer and the new 105mm bell I should be good to go......no?
So, you have any leads on the spacer and a spring....? I found the bell to fit .....

BTW_ will the Malossi white spring fit, and how does it compare to the yellow? I could go with that.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 03:05:48 AM by buzzbomb »

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2010, 06:01:40 AM »
The white is softer than the yellow. I cannot pull my clutch open by hand w/ the yellow. Malossi has a torsion controler that should have been made available to you. It is a ball bearing set up that is made for your conversion. It also comes w/ the dust boot. Call Malossi usa, and ask them for one! It cost about 40.00

buzzbomb

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2010, 01:10:55 AM »
The white is softer than the yellow. I cannot pull my clutch open by hand w/ the yellow. Malossi has a torsion controler that should have been made available to you. It is a ball bearing set up that is made for your conversion. It also comes w/ the dust boot. Call Malossi usa, and ask them for one! It cost about 40.00
thanks for the info, Zombie- you are a big help! Is this what you are referring to-
http://www.malossiusaonline.com/Torsion_Controller_p/2512828.htm

That is what I found under "Torsion controller"- but at $ 7.99, maybe not what you are referring to. It does not mention a ball bearing, although I have seen a video with the ball bearing setup on a Malossi torque driver. If i cannot find the parts I need to fit the stock driver to the yellow spring i have, I will get a spring to fit my stock clutch setup and sell the Malossi, if anyone is interested.
Boy, what a lot of choices.... and the wording on Malossi's website lost something in translation from Italian to English!

BTW_ I saw two awesome S9's today running together- pretty rare in these parts- I guess I am not the only one around here running a Super 9 and not  a Hardly Davidson!

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2010, 12:06:23 AM »
BTW_ I saw two awesome S9's today running together- pretty rare in these parts- I guess I am not the only one around here running a Super 9 and not  a Hardly Davidson!

..i know of two around here.....

..never seen two together...

..but we've had a cpl of bigfoot sightings about a hundred miles from here in the last week.....

:-\

..no, really...google it.....
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 12:08:29 AM by wordslinger »
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2010, 12:07:45 AM »
http://scootdawg.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=talk&action=display&thread=5216  That's got a pict of the type I mean. Dio burnout on scoot invasion (i think it was him) found one for the malossi spring. I can take more time later to try to find it for you. In thinking more about it there is really no reason not to run the spring w/ out the dust boot. You just have to open the cvt, and be sure it is all clean every few weeks. I know you still need the bell to match, but the Malossi is way better than the stock clutch. It LOCKS up when you want it to.

buzzbomb

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2010, 07:25:46 AM »
http://scootdawg.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=talk&action=display&thread=5216  That's got a pict of the type I mean. Dio burnout on scoot invasion (i think it was him) found one for the malossi spring. I can take more time later to try to find it for you. In thinking more about it there is really no reason not to run the spring w/ out the dust boot. You just have to open the cvt, and be sure it is all clean every few weeks. I know you still need the bell to match, but the Malossi is way better than the stock clutch. It LOCKS up when you want it to.

Thanks, Zombie for the info. I did see one of those torsion - ball bearing devices on a youtube video- it was on a Malossi torque drive. I did go and order the $8 one on Malossi's site; of course it is minus the ball bearings, but I will try it, also ordered a new spring, but I cannot remember which one- I will find out in a couple days.
 Oh, and I also have a 70cc kit coming, from Moped Hospital!! Piston, cylinder, Arreche carb and Tecnigas RSII pipe!!
Go big or go home, eh?!!!! This ought to keep me busy.........
Stay tuned!! ;)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2010, 04:08:38 AM »
Which kit did you order?

buzzbomb

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2010, 04:48:31 AM »
Hey Zombie- I ordered this kit-
http://www.mhr-usa.com/power-packs/mhr-power-pack-for-kymco-cobra-people-2t-yup-vitality-2t-super-9-ac.html
I see it is stuck in the UPS distribution center till Monday- hopefully it arrives on time, as I have the following week off from work. I read a lot of info on the two major sellers of 70cc kits- Malossi vs Airsal, and both rate pretty evenly, as I have read. We shall see. Confidence is high.
I am waiting to get this stuff installed and then get a new clutch bell to put the Malossi clutch in then. I have their green spring now and the torsion controller, which is basically a plastic ring. The green spring is the right size for my stock torque driver, and much shorter than the Malossi yellow. It should fit perfectly. As I said before, they sure make it confusing to order online, but, oh well, chalk it up to a learning experience!
But, I do know that I have learned a lot from you and everyone else here( and another great site....)!
Thanks again ! I shall keep you posted. ;)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()