Author Topic: has arrived!!  (Read 3061 times)

Triesandluth

• Getting it, a mile per hour at a time
    • View Profile
has arrived!!
« on: June 24, 2015, 11:54:41 PM »
I've been impatiently waiting all day for this!  About to prep it up and get these babies installed!!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Almost...at...speed...limit... Aww, brake lights..

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: has arrived!!
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 12:54:39 AM »
You know about chamfering the ports, and preping the piston... You can actually do it all with a piece of 120 grit emory paper. Just get rid of all the sharp edges.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

TheAmishSasquatch

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 02:31:43 AM »
Congrats!!! Mine arrived today as well. ... Unfortunatly I wasnt home to sign so no I have to wait until tomorrow afternoon :( Im so jelly of you rite now!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 04:04:21 AM »
Squatch... Let's find his house. You get the kit, and I'll find the beer.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Triesandluth

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 04:50:21 AM »
No beer here,  kit already installed.  Better luck next time. 
I did the ports,  they were a bit sharp,  but the piston was already smooth, and I didn't do much more than a few runs across the edges of the piston skirts.  The rings were as close to perfect out of the box on their gap. 
Overall,  I'm completely amazed at the difference in craftsmanship.  And already it has a great deal more performance at half throttle. 
Those rubber gaskets are kind of a bitch to get seated into their grooves, though.  And there has to be a better way to deal with the extra two coolant nipples on top.  I had them ran together but the angle made them leak a little (one is smaller than the other)  so I split the hose,  cut them short,  plugged them with bolts,  and house Clamped the hell out of them. Seems to have done the trick. 
Next is the Variator!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2015, 07:56:28 AM »
Can you remove the nipples, and install plugs?

Maybe your neighbor has beer. I'm already 1/2 way there, and I'd hate to waste all that gas I siphoned.

Triesandluth

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2015, 12:10:36 PM »
Hell,  I'd buy it,  just lemme know when to ice it down.  I'll even act like I don't know it's gonna go missing and clean the ice chest first lol. 
The last head,  I removed it,  tried plugging it with no success,  put the piece back in,  broke the nipples off then put a larger piece of hose over it to cover the holes. 
I just went back out to put the remaining plastics on it and did a little better job at seating the clamps and hoses.  I think it'll work fine until I come across something better. 
The head has the stock carb in mind,  to run coolant through it.  It would've been perfect until I put on the 19 arreche. 
Next,  bigger intake!

TheAmishSasquatch

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2015, 09:09:06 PM »
With all these Malossi kits being bought, there are gonna be some fast 9's runnin around!

Triesandluth

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2015, 01:03:58 AM »
Yeah buddy!!

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2015, 03:07:39 PM »
What do you do to the piston?  What is ring gap spec?  I have kit on the way for People 50 2T.
1st and 2nd usually have an unfair advantage.  3rd is usually the best, can learn the most from.  paraphrased from Don Quixote, over 400 years ago, still true today

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2015, 08:48:55 PM »
I run 0.03" on the top ring, and 0.04" on the bottom.

To prep the piston use some 600, 1000, and 1200 grit paper to polish the dome. This removes the casting or machining marks, and makes it tougher for carbon to stick.
Turn the piston over, and look where the wrist pin goes in the bosses. Drill a 1/8th" hole in each boss, and debur the inside, and chamfer the outside of these holes. This allows oil to get onto the pin, and allows it to "float" correctly.

Finally use the same sandpaper, and sand a 65* bevel all around the skirts of the piston. This allows oil to force between the piston, and cylinder.

Everything else is just removing sharp edges left from machining. Those sharp edges will get hot, and create stress points.

Last thing is install just the piston (no rings) into the bore. You should be able to get a 0.04" feeler gauge between the piston, and cylinder. If not then run a 3 stone hone just a few passes at a time until you can insert the gauge.

If you skip this step, you take the chance of running soft seizes, and galling the piston. Those hones are about 30 bucks at Ace Hardware or most auto-parts, and are a must have.

You will find you have to bend the arms to allow them to fit these small cylinders but it is a non issue.

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2015, 04:58:54 AM »
Thanks Z.  I got my kit today, looks really sweet.  Piston is super light weight.  Both rings the same?, do they have side that goes on top?  I just opened the box, looks like I got all the parts I was supposed to.  I am thinking the fun part will be removing the wrist pin circlips.
1st and 2nd usually have an unfair advantage.  3rd is usually the best, can learn the most from.  paraphrased from Don Quixote, over 400 years ago, still true today

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2015, 01:37:18 PM »
The rings should be different.

Look close at the area near the gap. One ring should be marked "A", and the other "B". The letters face the top, and "A" is the top ring.

If they are unmarked there will be a light silver colored one, and a dark gray one. The dark one is the top. There will also be a tapered side, and a flat side of that ring. The taper faces the top.

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2015, 06:43:42 PM »
OK, thanks Z.  I will get out magnifying glass and look at them.  So far, both are black.

Triesandluth

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2015, 08:52:00 PM »
Here's a start. I'll see if I can find the message with attachments that zombie sent me back then.

http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=13545.0

Edit: zombie already answered all of this again here... And the attachment wouldn't work in the messages... Sigh...
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 08:58:26 PM by Triesandluth »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()