Author Topic: Venox coolant change/flush instructions or advice?  (Read 5264 times)

scootermaven

• View Profile
Venox coolant change/flush instructions or advice?
« on: August 03, 2012, 04:29:43 PM »
So, I want to perform a coolant change/flush on my Venox.  Can you all tell me if the instructions in the owner's manual (see below) seem correct for at least a coolant change and/or do you have any other tips on doing this?  I am always a little leery of owner's manuals maybe not written in the U.S.

Thanks for your help!

« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 09:03:09 PM by scootermaven »
I may be slower uphill, but I'm quicker at the gas pump!

ce

• View Profile
Re: Venox coolant flush instructions or advice?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 07:16:28 PM »
I haven't done it yet on the Venox, but I will this autumn.

Here's my technique that I used on my Linhai 250:

Start engine with the radiator cap open, and run until the thermostat opens, a few minutes at the most, but before the engine gets hot. When the fluid is seen circulating in the radiator, open the drain plug and capture the old fluid. As the level goes down, add distilled water to the radiator until it comes out the drain. Keep the radiator full by pouring in water, then switch to the new fluid.

Watch for the changes in the exiting fluid, then the water, then the new fluid.
When the new fluid exits the drain, close the drain and shut off engine.
Top off the radiator, close the cap and fill overflow tank.

You now have new fluid and no air in the system, as long as the level was maintained in the radiator at all times.
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 01:34:56 AM »
Yes! AIR! that's what you must be careful of....

Another way is to drain the old coolant and measure the quantity. This way you'll also have an idea on how much to put in.

max oradea

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 01:35:52 PM »
just had a quick look and it seems to be wrong.
after draining the coolant, screw back the drain bolt.
then the 1st thing should be to put coolant in the radiator till full, and also the coolant reserve bottle to upper limit.
then run the engine for a min with the radiator cap closed. Then top off the coolant from the radiator cap. repeat it again until the level is stable> staying full every time you open it after running for one min.
then run the engine till the fan kicks in and top off the reserve bottle.

scootermaven

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 05:22:12 PM »
I'm sorry all, what I meant to say is that I want to do a coolant "change" and not necessarily a "flush".  Maybe it needs a flush, not sure, but I was only really wanting to change-out the coolant.  Anyway, according to the owner's manual exert above, you never remove the radiator cap, rather doing all the filling from the reservoir/recovery tank.  Is this correct?  I see where it mentions the radiator cap under the caution warning.  I am not sure if I have ever heard my radiator fan run on my bike, so maybe it's that quiet.  Can you hear or feel the fan come on during idle?

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 02:09:26 AM »
I'm sorry all, what I meant to say is that I want to do a coolant "change" and not necessarily a "flush".  Maybe it needs a flush, not sure, but I was only really wanting to change-out the coolant.  Anyway, according to the owner's manual exert above, you never remove the radiator cap, rather doing all the filling from the reservoir/recovery tank.  Is this correct?  I see where it mentions the radiator cap under the caution warning.  I am not sure if I have ever heard my radiator fan run on my bike, so maybe it's that quiet.  Can you hear or feel the fan come on during idle?

You change the coolant because it's old...when it's old, that means your cooling system already has some deposits caused by silicates from the old coolant... so, you need to flush...   

Maybe you don't need to open the radiator cap while filling, and just do it in the reservoir.

Another technique in flushing is "back flushing" wherein you hose water from the bottom - up or in the reverse flow of the cooling fluid during normal operation. (I hope I explained it right)  :D The purpose is to easily remove scales in the cooling system, if it has some.

scootermaven

• View Profile
Re: Venox coolant change/flush instructions or advice?
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 11:13:29 PM »
Hey, all!  Well, I changed-out (didn't flush) the coolant in my radiator today.  I did however drain and flush-out my coolant recovery tank, but didn't flush-out anything else forward.  I did it myself with the motivation of saving some cash and learning how to be self-sufficient with my Venox.  Anyway, here's how I did radiator coolant change, for those who'd like to know...

With the bike cool and on the side stand...

1 ) remove the radiator cap set screw with a small phillips head screwdriver and then remove the radiator cap
2 ) get a relatively large, flat pan and place it under the drain bolt (see both photos below) on the water pump to catch the old coolant as it drains out of the drain hole...you might even place the pan right under the side stand, as shown below.
3 ) loosen the drain bolt (w/washer) slowly with a 10mm socket and remove...CAREFUL, the coolant will shoot-out pretty far and quickly
4 ) once the coolant has all drained-out, re-install the drain bolt with the washer...tighten, but not too tight...if it needs a new washer, then put a proper one on
5 ) you will probably need a little over a quart of coolant (I used Pro Honda HP Coolant, a 50/50 premix), so SLOWLY pour the coolant into the radiator until you see it come to the top the of the radiator, then stop pouring.
6 ) get on the bike and lean it pretty far to the left, then to the right...get off the bike
7 ) SLOWLY pour more coolant into the radiator till you see the coolant come up to the top again and then repeat step 6 above
8 ) repeat step 7 again, as necessary till the coolant level seems full
9 ) start-up the bike and the coolant level in the radiator should go down, then add coolant SLOWLY till it's full again (it won't take much) and repeat this maybe 2-3 times till the level stops going down
10 ) let the bike run for a few minutes while doing step 9 and when the radiator level seems to remain full, "blip" (quickly on and off) the throttle several times while watching the water level in the radiator and you should see see the water flowing slightly and maybe even some air bubbles burping out (exiting) the system, which is what you want to see and a good thing.
11 ) while the engine is still running, but only for a few minutes, re-install the radiator cap securely and don't forget to put back in the radiator cap set screw
12 ) rinse-off ANY coolant that got on ANY bike parts during the coolant change
13 ) go out for a short ride to allow the engine to get up to normal operating temperature and try to get the radiator fan to run a couple of times (usually comes on while idling) then shut the bike down
14 ) let it sit for 2-3 hours to cool
15 ) remove the radiator cap set screw and cap again
16 ) check the radiator coolant level, ensuring it's near the top of the radiator
17 ) start-up the bike and add coolant, only if necessary, but whether you add coolant or not, run the engine a few minutes and see if there are any lingering air bubbles exiting the system...blip the throttle a few times while looking and if you just see the coolant moving slightly, that's fine.
18 ) re-install the radiator cap/set screw and you're done!

Of course, just to be safe, always keep an eye on your engine temp warning indicator light, especially after such a service.  And, check the level in your recovery tank after the radiator coolant change and make sure the level is at least between the low and full marks.

If anybody notices anything that seems incorrect above, please let me know.  I hope this may help some other D.I.Y. Venox owners down-the-road somehow.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 03:26:21 AM by scootermaven »

Brutal

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2015, 09:49:03 PM »
A tip for anyone doing a flush.
Mix in some POWDERED dishWASHING (Not dishwasher) detergent to some warm water and fill coolant tank and radiator.
Let the bike idle and top up with mix as required.
Allow bike to run for 5-10 minutes, then drain and flush again with distilled water (when bike is cool).
Now fill with coolant to recommended levels.

Mike-the-Bike

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2015, 08:59:25 PM »
I've always flushed with distilled water and white vinegar, then flushed again with plain distilled water.  My coolant of choice is Engine Ice--no mixing needed, it's not poison, and it cools your engine better.  Using tap water introduces minerals and other crud you do not want in your engine.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()