Author Topic: Kymco 250 Temperature Gauge  (Read 1696 times)

footshooter5

• View Profile
Kymco 250 Temperature Gauge
« on: February 02, 2017, 07:19:12 PM »
Apologize for the double post, but figured this might get more traction over here -

I just bought a well maintained but used 2006 Kymco Xciting 250, only had about 2500 miles on it when I bought it and got a great deal on it.  I found this forum looking for an answer to my question, but hopefully someone here will know.

It's a little bit colder here in St. Louis, MO - about 40 degrees at the moment, and I've noticed that when I ride, the indicator temperature gauge on the dash doesn't really move much, maybe just  little bit off the bottom tick; however, when I've parked it in my garage and am just about done for the day, before I switch off the ignition, I've noticed that then it starts to rise, to about the halfway point, and then the radiator fan kicks on.

I'm only riding about 8 miles back and forth to work at the moment, and I imagine that the air flow is in fact doing it's job while riding, but I just wanted to check and make sure this wasn't something anomalous or that my thermostat is having any issues. 

Thanks for your help, and glad to be joining the forum.

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
Re: Kymco 250 Temperature Gauge
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 11:56:28 PM »
Hey, footshooter5, welcome to the forum. Buying a Kymco is a very good reason for joining this forum, not to mention it's fun also. You'll enjoy it. Now to you temp. gauge. Riding in sub freezing weather can keep your engine from reaching it normal operating temp., however, not by as much as you described. In fact, after eight miles, the indicated water temp, should look almost normal. (about mid-way) Is you route highway or surface streets. Higher RPM's will yield more heat, but your cooling system, if working properly, with the correct ratio of water and glycol, should maintain in the mid-rage on your gauge. Have you checked to make sure you have enough anti-freeze? ( -34 degrees)
You have an eleven year old scooter and unless you you know the absolute history ie: maint. Records, receipts or know the previous owner, it would be a good idea to bring all required service up to date, especially engine oil and filter, final reduction gear oil, coolant flush and refresh. Then you know what you have and you can keep your service up from there.
You know your thermostat isn't stuck closed, but it could be stuck open. I would recommend you do a full service and then see if it doesn't register correctly. Good luck

Mac, aka "ole two wheels"
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

footshooter5

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 12:06:10 AM »
Hi Mac,

Thanks for the kind reply.  I know the previous owner bought the scooter when it had about 500 miles on it, and proceeded to put an additional 2000 miles on it after that, so the engine is still relatively young.  He's maintained it with the service records, including transmission changes, oil changes, etc.

So far all of my riding has just been in my local town (to and from work, max speed of 45MPH), and no highway riding yet.

Out of curiosity, what makes you think the thermostat could be stuck open?  Again, when I get ready to park it, and put it on the center stand, and let it idle for a bit, the temperature gauge starts climbing up and settles midway, and then I hear the fan click on, which makes me think that at least on some level, it must be working...

Thanks again for the advice and the warm welcome.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 12:07:52 AM by footshooter5 »

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 03:55:21 PM »
What ole2wheels said plus what does the service manual say for the relative temp indications? I take it this is an analog temp needle physically moving from C to H.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

footshooter5

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 03:57:05 PM »
Hi Karl,

Yes, it's just an analog needle.  I actually noticed today that when I was idling at stop lights the temperature would creep up to the mid range, and then when I would take off again, it would actually start moving back down when I was getting to cruising speeds.  It is 27 degrees F today though.

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2017, 06:58:54 PM »
You know, I doubt that there is anything wrong with your thermostat or the cooling system. Just watch it when the weather starts getting warmer. I think you will find that all is well. My first Kymco was a Xciting 250 and it was a darn good bike. If you have tech questions, CROSSBOLT, De Dee, and Stig are the best. You'll find that a service manual and this forum will keep you Kymco scooter running in top condition. Congratulations on your new toy.

Mac
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

footshooter5

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2017, 07:07:30 PM »
Thanks Mac, and thanks to all of you who took the time to answer my questions.  Always nice to be a part of a supportive community.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()