Author Topic: 2012 Yeager w/only 40 miles on odometer - won't Crank/Start  (Read 507 times)

Bendlwoods

• View Profile
I just purchased a 2012 Yeager 200i with 40 miles on the odometer. This scooter is new, I bought it from a friend who bought it for his wife. Long story - short, he sold it to me as she got vertigo and never drove it. Problem is it won't start. All gauges work, lights, horn, turn signals, etc. Battery was dead, so I put a new battery in it. Won't crank. Followed starting process - kick stand up, turn key on, turn switch on, hold rear brake and push starter button  - NOTHING.
     I helped him bring it home back in 2012 and even rode it around as they never rode a scooter before, so I know it ran. It has sat in the same spot in his garage with a new cover on it for 10 years.     I rechecked my startup procedure and even bypassed the kickstand safety switch by placing a fuse in the 1st slot in the fuse box. Still nothing. Is there a starter relay/solenoid that I can check? Any ideas?

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
Re: 2012 Yeager w/only 40 miles on odometer - won't Crank/Start
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2022, 06:41:43 AM »
Yes, there is a starter relay under the seat pan. You'd need a parts diagram to locate it, and there's lots available on line.  First check the starter by jumping directly from the battery to the starter 12v lug. Then you'll know if it's the starter or the relay. Or the switch!

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2022, 11:16:51 AM »
Does brake light light up with key on and brake levers pulled?

Stig
« Last Edit: July 25, 2022, 07:59:03 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2022, 05:30:42 PM »
Won't crank and won't start mean different things depending on location within this country. I think all of us commenting here ASSUME you mean that NOTHING happens when you push the start button. Please verify.

The Yager is a wonderful machine and I would still be riding mine if my wife had not insisted I get another bike!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Bendlwoods

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2022, 07:56:12 PM »
Yes, there is a starter relay under the seat pan. You'd need a parts diagram to locate it, and there's lots available on line.  First check the starter by jumping directly from the battery to the starter 12v lug. Then you'll know if it's the starter or the relay. Or the switch!

JJJoseph - I found & tested the starter relay/solenoid under the seat and found it defective (by jumping it)  it starts and runs great.  It has that "NEW" engine smell, with only 40 miles on it I guess t should!! Thanks for the direction!!!!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2022, 07:58:21 PM by Bendlwoods »

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2022, 08:26:16 PM »
Appreciate the follow-up report that all is well! Happy scootering!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()