Author Topic: Yager/Dink 200i a pack of wolves/clutch overhaul  (Read 1503 times)

Ruffus

• View Profile
Yager/Dink 200i a pack of wolves/clutch overhaul
« on: November 07, 2021, 08:31:01 PM »
Dear fellow Yagers,
today, riding home from our Marina I thought a pack of wolves is after me. Turned around, couldn't see any, only this howling was there.
Since we do not have that many lupi running around in freedom, thought : "Could be one of my clutch bearings, because my Yagers gear is brandnew".

Ok, at home up on the scoot-lift, usual ceremony, CVT-belt-clutch, takes about 10 minutes already, off.
Well, what to say, the smaller of those two  bearings within our clutch, was rough and therefore the howler.

Dissasambling:
-39mm nut off in a vise
-tin sleeve which covers the slide-pins, off
(it's kept only by friction of two O-rings
-taking belt carrier apart (watch 3 pins)
-extract the bigger (outer) bearing from seat
-apply a long circlip plier on this circlip which holds the roller bearing in place, it's appr. 5cm deep down, you really need long pliers
-push the closed roller bearing out with a socket

Material needed:
- 1 pc bearing 6902 LU
- 1 pc needle bearing 20x29x18 PXI
- 1 pc oilseal 34-41-4
- 2 pc O-ring 40x1,5
- bearing grease

One thing was strange to.me: This small bearing had only on one side a red cover, which is unusual. Either both sides or none. Have to check in my part shop whether that's possible, because I did not find it's second red cover within the housing.

Tomorrow I will get spares and put it together again.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 09:06:51 PM by Ruffus »
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Yager/Dink 200i a pack of wolves/clutch overhaul
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2021, 09:17:38 PM »
Ruffus, it's a good thing that you are the owner of that Yager / Grand Dink! Anyone else may ignore the noise and suffer the consequences.

Is that driven assembly / clutch identical to your Like's? It sure looks like my People S200's. I've disassembled to clean and regrease but have not replaced bearings..thanks for sharing the pics. Hope you're back on the road, soon.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2021, 10:54:13 PM »
Dear fellow Yagers,
today, riding home from our Marina I thought a pack of wolves is after me. Turned around, couldn't see any, only this howling was there.
Since we do not have that many lupi running around in freedom, thought : "Could be one of my clutch bearings, because my Yagers gear is brandnew".

Ok, at home up on the scoot-lift, usual ceremony, CVT-belt-clutch, takes about 10 minutes already, off.
Well, what to say, the smaller of those two  bearings within our clutch, was rough and therefore the howler.

Dissasambling:
-41mm nut off in a vise
-tin sleeve which covers the slide-pins, off
(it's kept only by friction of two O-rings
-taking belt carrier apart (watch 3 pins)
-extract the bigger (outer) bearing from seat
-apply a long circlip plier on this circlip which holds the roller bearing in place, it's appr. 5cm deep down, you really need long pliers
-push the closed roller bearing out with a socket

Material needed:
- 1 pc bearing 6902 LU
- 1 pc oilseal 34-41-4
- 2 pc O-ring 40x2
- bearing grease

One thing was strange to.me: This small bearing had only on one side a red cover, which is unusual. Either both sides or none. Have to check in my part shop whether that's possible, because I did not find it's second red cover within the housing.

Tomorrow I will get spares and put it together again.
Supposed to be some grease in the cavity between the ball bearing and the roller bearing. Get the ball bearing with 2 red seals and pop one out. Or just leave both in place and let its grease do the job! The needle roller is another matter. That one needs the cavity grease for longevity.

Thing that puzzles me is all that is turning at the same speed when the clutch is locked up. So the squeal is from something else. Now if it was squealing or howling when you were stopped then you nailed the source.

Good job!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2021, 06:12:15 PM »
@hawk, yes it is the same assembly as in our LIKES 200i, smaller LIKES might have a different clutch diameter. Still have my GD 150 to ride.
Txs again because of Kansas.

@CROSSBOLT yes, it was whining at stop (motor running) too. I was hesitant to disassemble first, for the belt was sqealing a little. But with belt off it's hard to make the clutch engage. So I took it apart and both bearings were pretty try, despite intact O-rings. The smaller one turned a bit rough. So out with them.

BUT: -small ball bearing is a norm part 6902 LU/RS
-roller bearing 20x29x18 PXI #91001-1F66-721
and
oil seal 34-41-4  #91211-KEBE-900
 are KYMCO specific and have to be ordered

And yes, I bought a 6902 RS and took one seal out.
Txs for the greasing hint. From KYMCO there is a bearing with only one seal available.
Will do a final writing when done.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2021, 06:23:40 PM by Ruffus »

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2021, 09:06:16 PM »
After two weeks of waiting for a little needle bearing and two oil seals I finally could reassamble my scoots clutch.

To push bearings back onto their seats is not really difficult, I used a 19mm and a 21mm socket to set them.

Oil seals are easy pushed in and after 20 minutes CVT  and clutch were in its place again.
Costs all in all for 2 bearings, 2 oilseals and 2 O-rings where €55,-. Good again.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 09:09:56 PM by Ruffus »

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2021, 03:58:45 AM »
Material needed:
- 1 pc bearing 6902 LU
- 1 pc oilseal 34-41-4
- 2 pc O-ring 40x1,5
- bearing grease

I occasionally see clutch assemblies for sale online and it occurred that it might be easier to buy the unit pre-assembled? Or was it cheaper to DIY? Just as an aside, can you tell us readers what's the inside diameter of the clutch bell? Many Kymcos and other scooters/ATVs use either 105mm or 112mm clutches, but it's difficult to find the diameter from online (eBay) sellers. Thanks for sharing!!

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2021, 05:21:24 PM »
@JJJ,  Yes it is for sure easier to buy a ready assambled clutch unit. But it's more fun to refurbish and to know what's in it.

For measures: (pls see pic)
- this clutch bell has an inner diameter of 130 mm
- fits in: LIKE 125, LIKE 200i. GRAND DINK 150, YAGER 200i                  (own experience, no hearsay)

For costs I don't know, see €55,- not as that much if I know now it's the quality which I want to have in my vehicles..
Did not change clutch pads, for they were still good.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2021, 05:24:11 PM by Ruffus »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()