Author Topic: Yager/Dink 200i arrived  (Read 1107 times)

Ruffus

• View Profile
Yager/Dink 200i arrived
« on: October 18, 2021, 07:00:49 PM »
Dear foristi,
since I heard only good about this Yager/Dink 200i model, I thought let's see what's behind the stories, and bought one yesterday.
As already discussed, it's a 176ccm, liquid cooled EFI motor, first tagged 2007 and in overall good condition. 35.000 km on the clock. Some scratches though.
Motor and EFI setup looks a little different from our LIKEs equipment.
Tall GIVI windshield and GIVI topcase were included.
Service (bills recently) by a KYMCO shop.
New tires, oil service, battery and starter motor were done this summer. Mechanically less noisy than my Grand Dink 150 carb., were I hear each roller moving. We"ll see how it's performs.
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Yager/Dink 200i arrived
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2021, 09:46:38 PM »
nice looking scoot and it looks like it will polish up nicely! What are your plans for this scoot? Are you just adding an additional one to the fleet? I believe you recently sold one of your Likes.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2021, 10:01:07 PM »
I had one of these and really loved it! Its EFI is more like the DT300i (LEA7) engine/trans unit with separated TPS, ISC and MAP plus ECU is mounted elsewhere. My only complaint was the digital speedo. As riding lead it is crucial manners to keep a consistent speed where ever possible. This is nearly impossible in the Yager. Once speed is stabilized, the instrument does not change indication within +/-3 mph!

I would still be riding my Yager from 2009 if wife had not INSISTED I get a new bike in 2013!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2021, 06:40:11 PM »
A little bit more information and some pics of YAGERs interns. I have rarely seen such a clean motor compartement (except on Stigs scoots) on vehicles I lately bought.

Usually people don't open this met-in part for reasons whatever, let alone clean it beneath.

@CROSSBOLT, yes I guess it's similar to a DT 300i.
Can only confirm your complaint about the speedo, but okay....

First thing I took out was this 'met-in-light" switch, which is located at seats latch-lock. Even with key off, its '"met-in-seat-open-warning-light" is on. Causes, if I let the seat unlocked/open, which I usually do in my garage, electronic to work and guzzles on my battery.

Second was to install an emergency seat opener, a thin line from seat lock  a little bit hidden behind the rear fairing, to pull.

@Iahawk, yes, both of my LIKES found a new home. To be honest, I did not earn anything from this two scoots, only knowledge, and important for me, nice conversations in this forum.
There was some "scooter vacuum" in my workshop, and, for I was anyway curious about this model, well, there it is.
Had a look into its CVT of course, guy really told me the truth, brandnew belt and 17,5 grams -20/15 rollers. CVT cover was fortunately not glued on. Airfilter new.
Motoroil still light amber, gear oil didn't check.

Driving was smooth, pretty much without any exitement.
BUT: I drove evenings a short stretch without gloves, AND, there comes warm air out under the scoots mirrors and caresses my hands with this blissful breeze, I'm not imagining.

IF something comes up, I'will report.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2021, 09:28:22 PM »
Interesting - you've no more LIKE's?!
And - if I might ask of a person living in Italy, not Taiwan - what is your fascination with Kymcos rather than a used Italian scooter?
Also, I seem to be noticing that for some few members (3 maybe) , it appears that riding a scooter is actually of secondary interest to that of servicing one.
Buy, get running, park or sell, and buy another, etc. Perhaps it is a form of collecting?

In any event - it all makes for interesting reading :)

Stig
« Last Edit: October 19, 2021, 09:30:36 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2021, 12:18:09 AM »
assuming you didn't clean that up ..that is a very clean scooter! My kind of scooter!

Stig - I may be one of those people who spends more time playing with / cleaning / polishing scooter than riding?  In a perfect world I'd ride every day (I rode this afternoon..beautiful day!)...but life gets in the way and sometimes all I can do is work on / clean / admire scooters..especially in the evenings...and after I've had a beer or two...no riding after that, ever...but I can sure wipe down, clean and admire the scoots!

Keep us informed on your new scoot, Ruffus.
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2021, 06:01:26 PM »
@Stig, a lot of people here around ride PIAGGIO, small like 310 BMW, APRILIA, BENELLI, and are pretty proud of their brands.

But very seldom I saw somebody to maintain and understand their ride. Looking inside those, admittingly sharp looking, scooters you see a lot of chinese, taiwanese, indian hardware parts for an italian price.

Seen that and being more interested (60/40) than in riding/ touring my scooters, I rather buy a posh inexpensive, honest taiwanese product, have fun with tinkering and if I'm done with pepping up, sell it for a what I payed, if I loose a little, okay.
It's just the fun of seeing my own work and doing what I want to do.

@hawk, it's really ship shape, guy must have done that this night before delivering to me.

Ruffus

• View Profile
Yager/Dink 200i gear service #1
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2021, 06:03:14 PM »
Did I say a couple of days ago, the only thing I didn't check is gear oil?!
And came out having been a mistake.

A "whirring" sound like as firefighters would be after me with their siren, caught my attention, so to say.
This during driving home with a full weeks grocery on the scoot.....

Such a sound means nothing really good. After my daily chores at home I let gear oil out to check, AND a good teaspoon full of silvery debris came out.

Okay, CVT off, access to gear established, rear wheel axle had already 2mm play within gear ballbearing.
After opening the gear the whole box was sprinkled with silvery shavings from those rotten bearings.

All ballbearings and the small rollerbearings where somehow very rough turning by hand and of course noisy. First time I see such a total failure on ALL bearings. Usually one breaks and then its done.

Guys must have ignored this sound for a while to come that far. Fortunately non of this bearing seats where destroyed.

Bearings sit very close to their alu casing bottom. Only with a quality "blind bearing puller" you are successful to get them out. Alu casings / gear bell have to be heated up pretty hot, otherwise no way to get bearings out without destroying the seats.

Well, that was it for today..
Spareparts tomorrow and we will see how it comes out.
TBC
« Last Edit: October 23, 2021, 09:46:49 PM by Ruffus »

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2021, 02:55:44 AM »
Ruffus, disappointing news, for sure, but at least you're well equipped to remedy the situation. Odd that all of the bearings were bad...low gear oil? Did one go bad and it affected the others?  I guess no scooter is perfect...but once you get this fixed your scoot should be good as new.
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix

Ruffus

• View Profile
Re: Yager/Dink 200i arrived/gear renewal #2
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2021, 06:18:10 PM »
...since fortunately our KYMCOS are equipped with metric items and my local Parkerstore (industrial supplies) has everything on stock it was a matter of two hours to have its gear completed, and my DINK/YAGER 200i on the road again to take her out for a testride.

For I had the wheel off it was only logic to change the bearing in its sidearm too. All bearings were pulled by heated up alu parts. Mounted by heating/ freeze method.
All in all took this gear revision five hours of time and an amount of €83,-. ( no coffee break)
Gear papergasket would be on order, so I had to make it by  myself again from 0,3 mm gasket paper.

The hardest part IMO is to re-inplant this driveshaft which is propelled by our clutch, for its the biggest bearing on it, this bearing is heatshrunk on this shank, and both together have to go freezer cold (-18°C) into a 200° C heated CVT housing. Had some beads of transpiration.

Now at aftermath:
-my analysis brought out that, those small middle rollerbearing disintegrated for reasons whatever (pls see pic, rollers on one side convex) (below a new one to compare) destroyed its cage, caused (because its the middle bearing) a wobble on other sprockets and this movement slowly tore other bearings down too.

I had to cut this small bearings outer runner out with a DREMEL tool, no way to get it out with a puller. Was kind of anchored in its alu seat.

But now its good as new, filled 200 ml of finest 70-90 into.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 06:41:03 PM by Ruffus »

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2021, 10:25:13 PM »
Many thanks for an excellent detailed summary of the task!  This should be bookmarked in the tech section.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Yager/Dink 200i arrived/gear renewal #2
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2021, 11:17:24 PM »
...since fortunately our KYMCOS are equipped with metric items and my local Parkerstore (industrial supplies) has everything on stock it was a matter of two hours to have its gear completed, and my DINK/YAGER 200i on the road again to take her out for a testride.

For I had the wheel off it was only logic to change the bearing in its sidearm too. All bearings were pulled by heated up alu parts. Mounted by heating/ freeze method.
All in all took this gear revision five hours of time and an amount of €83,-. ( no coffee break)
Gear papergasket would be on order, so I had to make it by  myself again from 0,3 mm gasket paper.

The hardest part IMO is to re-inplant this driveshaft which is propelled by our clutch, for its the biggest bearing on it, this bearing is heatshrunk on this shank, and both together have to go freezer cold (-18°C) into a 200° C heated CVT housing. Had some beads of transpiration.

Now at aftermath:
-my analysis brought out that, those small middle rollerbearing disintegrated for reasons whatever (pls see pic, rollers on one side convex) (below a new one to compare) destroyed its cage, caused (because its the middle bearing) a wobble on other sprockets and this movement slowly tore other bearings down too.

I had to cut this small bearings outer runner out with a DREMEL tool, no way to get it out with a puller. Was kind of anchored in its alu seat.

But now its good as new, filled 200 ml of finest 70-90 into.
You are way more organized and skilled (pictures good, too!) than any aircraft mech I have ever been forced to work with!

Good show! I agree with JJ!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2021, 09:59:27 AM »
Thanks, a forum should be a place to share, exchange thoughts and support.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2021, 03:00:36 PM »
Ruffus - great work.  The rest of us, upon seeing metal sludge in our gear oil ,would fret and ponder and question what is next..

Ruffus? proceeds to pull apart final drive, removes bearings, buys new ones, installs them, buttons it all up and goes for a ride!

Well done, sir.
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2021, 06:55:46 PM »
@ Thanks hawk, I'm pretty confident many people among us here in this forum are quite able to do that, given space and tools.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()