Author Topic: New to the scooter world, looking for just a little bit more speed.  (Read 2184 times)

rkovacs

• View Profile
Just bought a 2005 People 50.  I have really been enjoying it.  It does have a couple things to fix on it.  The speedo does not work, the cable is fine but something with the worm gear in the front hub is the issue.  I took it apart but could not determine what it was.  Looks like I will have to get a replacement part for that.
Also the battery was dead.  I started to look at it and discovered there was absolutely no water in it.  So I went to the parts store and bought some battery acid and filled it up.  However, it does not seem to hold a charge.  If I use it to go somewhere, stop, I can then start it with the electric start, but overnight it dies.  Not sure if when it was hooked up with no fluid in it damaged it or not.  It looks brand new.
I also started to look into derestricting it.  I discovered it already had the derestricted drive boss installed.  I also took off the muffler to see if there was any restriction in there but did not see any.  I also found the CDI unit and the green wire was already unplugged.  With my GPS I clocked about 40MPH on the flat ground and 45 down hills.  Not sure what else I can do to get a little more top end but not suffer loss of speed going up hills.  I am 6’2”, 195

Southpaw32

• View Profile
Re: New to the scooter world, looking for just a little bit more speed.
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 04:14:33 PM »
I'd recommend going with lighter rollers. Actually, I'd suggest switching to sliders. I run 5g sliders. Better take off, and with the sliders you'll get a slight bump in top end speed as well.
Unrestricted CDI will give you a little more ump as well.

A new exhaust and some air box tweaking and/or a new air filter, and bigger jets will give you a decent bump as well.

Honestly, you are probably looking at about a 5 mph upgrade, with better take off.

skippy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 05:28:58 PM »
also look into a race or high speed variator, with your new rolers or sliders.

after that if you still want more.... ;D

play with the clutch. torque springs and clutch springs upgrade.( thats the best for up hill. will rev harder you should get 10mph extra up hill give or take )

then look at the length of your boss. dont know on the people what the best size is but you may be able to shave 1mm or so off the boss size to give you a little more top end

good luck and have fun.

rkovacs

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 01:14:32 AM »
Southpaw, you say unrestricted CDI, the green wire loop is already unplugged.  I am guessing there are other CDIs that will change the ignition timing?  Mine has the brown case.
I'm pretty sure my carb is still all stock, probably bump that up a bit especially if I get an aftermarket exhaust.
Never heard about changing the length of the boss, might look into that.  Think my first upgrade will be the high speed variator with 5g sliders and see where that puts me.  I am really only looking for 45 on the flats and maybe 40 on the hills.

Interesting thing about the speedo.  I took the hub gear apart that drives the cable to the speedo, re-greased it and put it back together.  Now it pretty close to actual MPH on the KM scale.  Guess I will get that replaced eventually with a new unit that functions correctly after the other upgrades.  ;-)

Peters

• In Glock I Trust
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 04:41:44 PM »
Welcome to the forum  :)

These guys are steering you in the right direction. Exhaust, open filter or modified air box, and bigger main jet should get you up to 45. Yellow torque spring and playing with the rollers or sliders will give you better hill climbing. Do magic marker tests on your variator as you progress. You want the belt to travel across the entire face(except maybe a mm or two on the very outside).

Here's what I mean
Before:

After:

*2010 People 50 2t with 70cc kit and more
*2001 ZX-50 beater

rkovacs

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 02:04:14 AM »
I will have to try the magic marker test.  One thing I noticed is initially I can go 43 or 44 on the flat ground but then it fades quickly and then I can only muster about 40.  Is this because my belt heats up or something?  I also don't know how many miles are on it, can a new belt help me get some of the top speed back?

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()