Author Topic: Help! My spark plug keeps blowing out!  (Read 2637 times)

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
Help! My spark plug keeps blowing out!
« on: March 13, 2016, 04:24:00 PM »
Hello everyone. I bought my Kymco People 150 used and I noticed when I changed the plug that it just didnt feel "right" when I hand threaded it in no matter what I did. I was and am ultra careful threading spark plugs by hand so I was cautious about over-torquing the plug and risk stripping the soft aluminum head. I believe the plug was cross-threaded and now it will not stay in. I tried a back tap but that did not work. The only options I seem to have is either a Heli-Coil Kit or just replace the head. I am heavily leaning towards the Heli-Coil because it appears to be a simpler solution and is more importantly, cheaper than a head replacement. I would like to hear from some of you if you have ever had this issue, used the Heli-Coil kit, and any help or insight you could give me. Also what kit would I order? My plug is a 10mmx1.0 fine thread. I am really bummed right now. Beautiful weather and I cant ride. :'(
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

tortoise

• View Profile
Re: Help! My spark plug keeps blowing out!
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2016, 04:43:14 PM »

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2016, 06:51:21 PM »
Heli-coil or similar first. Don't even have to remove the head! Call if you have questions, opinions and suggestions freely supplied!

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2016, 12:17:41 AM »
I ordered a Heli-Coil type kit. Could not find the right size in the Helicoil Brand. Its an M10x1.0x.5. It should be here in a few days. Meanwhile I have removed the body plastic, the carburetor, and the cooling shroud.  I am planning on putting the nozzle on my small shop vac in the intake and open the exhaust valve while I drill the opening out. Hopefully the shaving will blow back out of the engine and not stay in. Then planning on greasing the tap to catch the filings while I cut the threads. I am a little nervous about this. I really do not want to have to put in a new head. Thanks for the video on straight re-boring and tapping the head but I am trying to keep things as stock as possible.  Did I miss anything in my devious yet brilliant plan?
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 01:40:20 PM »
How did things turn out?
2009 Xciting 250

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 01:04:40 AM »
Got the Helicoil in after about four tries. It was not a perfect install but it works! The plug holds well and does not leak compression. I installed an iridium plug and do not plan on changing it for a long time. All in all it was a success. Looking to sell my carbon frame road bicycle then my People 150. After that going to by a bigger scooter, the Xciting 250 is on the top of my list. I am on the tall side with long arms and legs.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

xsel777

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2016, 10:02:45 AM »
You won't regret the xciting 250,it does not have the starting issue that the 500 has. And it has the same Road handling characteristics as the 500,  so,  a win,  all round.

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 with Tapatalk

2010 Kymco Xciting 500Ri-Dark Blue

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2016, 12:41:33 AM »
You won't regret the xciting 250,it does not have the starting issue that the 500 has. And it has the same Road handling characteristics as the 500,  so,  a win,  all round.

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 with Tapatalk

I agree. Although this is my FIRST scooter, so I have no frame of reference, I'm very happy with my Xciting. Yes, I'd like a little more power. But I like the 62-68 mpg of the 250 better.

2009 Xciting 250

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2016, 12:43:11 AM »
Got the Helicoil in after about four tries. It was not a perfect install but it works! The plug holds well and does not leak compression. I installed an iridium plug and do not plan on changing it for a long time. All in all it was a success. Looking to sell my carbon frame road bicycle then my People 150. After that going to by a bigger scooter, the Xciting 250 is on the top of my list. I am on the tall side with long arms and legs.
Glad to know that you fixed it. As for a perfect install, all that matters is that it's not blowing out any more. That's MY definition of success.
2009 Xciting 250

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2016, 01:14:08 AM »
A little late to the party but these Timeserts are the best repair. They thread in (use red locktite) and when you run the installer in it bell shapes them at the bottom wedging them in.

http://www.timesert.com/html/sparkplug.html
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2016, 01:10:59 AM »
Thanks MJR. You are absolutely correct, the Timeserts are the best. But they cost more than a new head. I decided to try the Helicoil first and thankfully it worked.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2016, 01:06:00 AM »
Maybe a extra plug washer would help...........

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()