Author Topic: Distracted drivers  (Read 2374 times)

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
Re: Distracted drivers
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2018, 02:42:22 PM »
The Sena is a good camera, especially with the dual mic set-up. If you’re interested in motovlogging see if there is a model that can record at 1080p 60fps.

- Wolf

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2018, 05:56:54 PM »
...Everyone uses cell phones in all situations, even when it's not appropriate. I once had to tell a student to put she phone away after she was done taking a test. It was the first thing she did when she finished, and was visibly pissed off that I told her she wasn't allowed to do that least she look up the answers online, or take a pic of the test as well. Again, she was pissed that she was denied her phone and had to sit and wait while being stuck with her own thoughts... 

....I wish there was an easy (and safe way) to mark a person's car, kind of like a Scarlett Letter that brands a car as a cell phone user. Maybe one day.

- Wolf
Been in that situation in many classes, Wolf. Kids think that they must be on their phones every dang minute or they will die. It's become a huge entitlement issue and hassle that I won't miss now that I have retired from teaching. God forbid they have to rely on their own imagination and thoughts...

...as for the cars, well there's always spray paint!  ;)
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2018, 02:50:04 AM »
I'm as mystified and concerned about constant use of phones as anyone.

But it's a different entitlement issue to expect anything (time, attention, respect, etc) from a room full of students forced to attend your class. Assuming you're not talking about a university class.

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2018, 03:59:59 AM »
It's a university class. I actually have less trouble when I teach high schoolers on weekend workshops, but then they want to be there. I't's been my observation that people tend to use their cellphones when they're waiting in line, or maybe stuck with their own thoughts. It doesn't leave a lot of time to think and wonder about things.

- Wolf

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2018, 11:50:24 AM »
I always bring a book to read while visiting doctor or getting car serviced.
Getting an oil change on my Scion at our new, mega fancy Toyota dealership with a huge waiting lounge -- reading proved impossible due to the women talking loudly on cell phones. Also noticed they both put the bottoms of their shoes on the new coffee tables in front of them.
Saw a bumper sticker yesterday in a book store, " My species embarrasses me."
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2018, 04:29:11 PM »
Wish I could get one of those stickers.
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

PaulF

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2018, 09:38:43 PM »
The Sena is a good camera, especially with the dual mic set-up. If you’re interested in motovlogging see if there is a model that can record at 1080p 60fps.

- Wolf

Thanks for that.

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2018, 10:50:03 PM »
Good one , OTW: that's my new MO, too ("I just want to get there".)
2009 GV 250

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()