Author Topic: compression too small for starting engine  (Read 1469 times)

Like50

• Finland
    • View Profile
compression too small for starting engine
« on: March 21, 2021, 05:47:36 PM »
Last friday I was driving back home from variator service, when suddenly motor died at traffic lights, and didnt start anymore. So pushing four kilometers to home, warm garage for overnight and another try. Rolling from start button but no firing up. Spark ok, gas comes to carburator. Called van to pick up back to service.
Called today noon that scooter works now. There was no compression enough in cylinder, so changed piston, cylinder and cylinder head. Valve was a bit open, burned a bit due the lack of oil I guess. Carburetor also new, secondhand working parts each.
Now works fine, moves top speed more than enough, and variator is perfect working.
Belt and rollers 35 e, work 40 e, engine parts and work and van from and back home 170 e. Not bad at all, very quick service.
Must pay attention to motor oil from now better. If next 10 000 km only oil services, then happy, lets see what happends. 17 769 km now driven, basic 4t, 45 kmh but now does a bit more with new belt, near 55 kmh I guess.
Seeking used Kymco moped scooter

big blue

• View Profile
Re: compression too small for starting engine
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2021, 04:50:28 PM »
There is an old saying that "oil is cheaper than bearings". This also applies to cylinders!  ;)
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

Like50

• Finland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2021, 03:27:30 PM »
Now better so far, changed 15w-40 mineral oil in 20950 km driven, and again in 21550 km driven, now 5w-50 syntethic mobil 1 found a bottle of it at garage. With sucker pump found from the hardware store is more than easy to do without gymnastic with tools.
When thousand km driven with this oil, then back to basic 15w-40 mineral, so it wont be too thick for small engine older one.

Like50

• Finland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2021, 03:02:38 PM »
23090 km (from 10850 km) driven year 2011 model, sold to guy who will fix it for girlfriend to learn driving. Electric wires needs to be check, then ok to drive when blinkers etc. will work. Was a good and cheap ride.
Now with one year newer one, changed oil today after 800 km from the last change, and it seems a good period because the oil is not total black when changing. Manual says 2000 km, so almost half will do for now. Basic mineral 15w-40 api sl/cf is 3.40 € per liter when 5 liter bottle, so cheap enough. With sucker pump, five minutes work max.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 03:06:00 PM by Like50 »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()