Author Topic: 100cc BBK won't start?!?!  (Read 8053 times)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: 100cc BBK won't start?!?!
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2014, 12:34:16 AM »
That may be why the old small valve head is not working. May be a piece of the ring scored the valve, and it has no compression. Just a guess...

Did you get the 64 or 69mm valve kit?
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

The moped learner

• View Profile
100cc BBK won't start?!?!
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2014, 04:38:38 AM »
64mm but if i adjust the in tank valve so its open it will spend fast but if i close it it well barely turn over

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2014, 05:42:06 AM »
what do you mean? The valves should never be adjusted open.
I'm getting very confused here...

Re -read this thread, and try to do the things I asked, like follow the directions for the install. Twisting valves, and pulling screws won't fix it.
 You have to be methodical to know where you went wrong. Shot guns are for opening doors. .45's are for doing the work inside.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

The moped learner

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2014, 04:41:15 PM »
Open? I have done every thing you have said. Other than a comp test. I mean i twist the adjuster till the valve is open so i can see how it sounds then i adjust it till its dosnt open as much then turn it over

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2014, 05:26:33 PM »
The valve should never be adjusted that tight or in an open position. It WILL collide with the piston, and bend the valve.
Please do a compression test. It may just lead to the answer.

If you have the other head... Spray or pour some carb cleaner into each one of the ports. One at a time. You want to see if the carb clean will leak out thru the valve. That will tell if you have a bad head/bent valve.
Even the slightest leak will prevent the engine from running.

I'm gonna start drinking again.

The moped learner

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2014, 06:10:44 PM »
Ok ill see what it says

The moped learner

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2014, 09:46:52 PM »
Well I don't have the right size for the spark plug hole all i have is size whys is for a ford 302 engine so the test will have to wait

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2014, 12:21:19 PM »
I forgot these things need adapters...

The moped learner

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2014, 04:04:23 PM »
I just might scrap the 100cc BBK and go for a 80cc again

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2014, 06:11:30 PM »
It's not the kit unless there is a defect that you did not catch. That's why I said to start from scratch.
You might have put the rings in upside down, the end gap could be wrong, the piston could be too loose in the cylinder, the chain tensioner for the cam could be jammed, the head gasket could be leaking, valves could be bent or have damaged seats.

there are too many things to list. One step at a time.
Get a feeler gauge, and start with the piston fit in the bore with no rings installed. It should bee between .002, and .0035" everywhere in the bore. End gap should be no larger than .004" anywhere in the bore.

I have seen brand new cylinders that have a reverse hourglass effect in the middle of the bore. Use the piston to square the rings to measure this.

It's easier to speculate, and type all day than it is to do this right, and that says alot because putting one of these together is about the easiest of all engines. One cylinder/piston to measure.
I am in the middle of building three engines right now.
One, '69 Triumph
Two, QMB 139
Three, 350 Chevy marine HP
I always measure everything, and plasti-gauge all the bearings. That process takes longer than assembly. As a matter of fact I am weighing/balancing all the moving parts in the Triumph because that one is mine, and I want a bad ass engine that will last at least ten more years before another rebuild. It's already 45 years old.

Set your mind to doing this right, and you can get it done. You wasted more time already than it would have taken to dig up the ore/forge the parts/build the engine. I'm busting your balls because I know how easy it is to build this engine. You don't see it that way, YET.

The moped learner

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2014, 05:25:51 PM »
Well i think ill be going back to the 80cc BBK the 100cc BBK was something i knew i would have problems with

The moped learner

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2014, 05:26:50 PM »
Im making some money so $50 out of a pay check is nothing

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2014, 07:05:37 PM »
The kits are exactly the same but if you feel better about another kit... It's all good.

Please keep us informed as to how you make out.

The moped learner

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2014, 01:10:08 AM »
I will i never had problems with the 80cc BBK other than the lip right above the oil ring where the piston rod goes throw a peace came off and scored up the wall bad

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2014, 03:12:46 AM »
Cheap cast pistons. You'll get one in fourty that wont last.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()