Author Topic: Wont turn off???  (Read 924 times)

francuz69

• View Profile
Wont turn off???
« on: December 26, 2020, 06:47:24 PM »
Hello everyone,
here's a new one, didn't find anything about this on the internet, nor the DT300 service manual.
My DT won't turn off. I start it normally, but when i want to stop it, almost nothing happens.
When i turn the key left, dash goes off, but the engine does not, it keeps running.
Hitting the kill switch or side stand does nothing. Only thing that i notice when i hit either one of those two is veeery slight change in sound of the engine, but barely noticable.
I have disassembled the key cluster but the contacts were clean. Cleaned them again just to make sure. Also cleaned the connector from the key cluster onwards.

Only thing that i know that is faulty is regulator/rectifier since it charges 18.8V which is way more than normal, but i don't think that it has anythyng to do with shut down problem. (i Will order a new one and change it)

I am banging my head against the wall...
Any ideas?

john grinsel

• View Profile
Re: Wont turn off???
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2020, 07:22:14 PM »
Try your Kymco dealer.

francuz69

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2020, 07:53:35 PM »
Thx. I could figure that one myself but that would not be interesting.
Any technical answer?

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2020, 11:43:36 PM »
Thx. I could figure that one myself but that would not be interesting.
Any technical answer?
Yes, 18.8 volts is way too much. I must say, you have a real unique situation for the first time! But first check the reg/rect and replace immediately. There is a guy on here that has one for 20 bucks including shipping! Look in stuff for sale.
Your problem is probably the ECU relay. Headlights probably work okay so identify either high or low beam relay and substitute it for the ECU relay to see if that makes a difference. You will have to pull the windshield and the front nose off to access the relays.
But fix the charging system first!

There will be few dealer techs that will be able to even start on this problem. Yours may be one of the few but chances are not good. May be I am way off base but what I suggested is a start.

Studied the wiring diagram after the above post and have a recommendation to try before you start removing stuff. Once running and you turn the key off to make it stop running and it won't stop, pull the key out and see what happens. I bet it will stop!  Let us know what it does..
« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 01:20:39 AM by CROSSBOLT »
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

francuz69

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2020, 12:08:09 PM »
Thx very much for the constructive suggestion.
Will change regulator ASAP but unfortunately i can’t take it from the member You suggested since i am located at the other end of the planet, and shipping will cost much more than new regulator.
I have one available for the price of 90 euros which is 3 times more than the realistic price which os 30 euros. So i have ordered a new one an it will be at my hands in 15-ish days.
ECU relay sounds very probable. I saw on the diagram where it is, so i will try it out these days. I would right now but it’s winter here and today is really cold and i don’t have a garage.

Bu the way, pulling the key out does nothing.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2020, 03:15:41 PM »
How have you been turning it off if the key and kill switch both don’t shut it down?? Pulling a battery cable?
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

francuz69

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2020, 03:46:19 PM »
No, i choked it. :)
fold an old rag and press it agaist exhaust. It dies in a second or two.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2020, 09:38:31 PM »
Thx very much for the constructive suggestion.
Will change regulator ASAP but unfortunately i can’t take it from the member You suggested since i am located at the other end of the planet, and shipping will cost much more than new regulator.
I have one available for the price of 90 euros which is 3 times more than the realistic price which os 30 euros. So i have ordered a new one an it will be at my hands in 15-ish days.
ECU relay sounds very probable. I saw on the diagram where it is, so i will try it out these days. I would right now but it’s winter here and today is really cold and i don’t have a garage.

Bu the way, pulling the key out does nothing.
Never considered where you are!

Different wiring for different countries. Back to identifying the ECU relay to prove the theory!
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

francuz69

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2020, 05:01:24 PM »
Well... very interesting day i had today...
After dismantling half of plastic from the front of the DT, first i have checked ECU relay as suggested by CROSSBOLT.
It wasn’t the relay, problem remains.
Tried couple more tweaks, without success.
At one moment while trying to turn off the scoot for the 100th time, i have pressed the blinker. And it shut down.
Hilarious!!!
And then it all began to make sense. Previous owner sent the DT to the “Kymco Dealer” to install LED lights, blinker beeper, and all 4 blinkers button.
When i saw how the “expert” at Kymco dealer tangled wires i was shocked. Terrible job, really sloppy...
Anyway, the “electrician” connected beeper and the button to the 1st black wire directly from the ECU. This line is supposed do give signal to the spark plug amongst other things, and also this line is responsible for turning off the engine.
When taking into consideration that this line should not be used for stupid things like blinkers, and on top of that when i see how he wired and duck taped everything with no soldering or proper connectors, it doesn’t surprise me that i have issues like this.
Luckily i have my wife’s cousin, who is real electrician, so he promised that he will stop by these days so we can untangle this mess and do everything the proper way.
What one idiot messes up, usually takes 2 normal guys and a lot of time and nerves to sort out.

Thank for help anyway...

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2020, 08:23:49 PM »
Aw, nutz! Never considered such techfoolery!
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

francuz69

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2020, 05:31:11 PM »
Just to let you know, it is sorted out.
Cousin came by today and we have removed beeper and all 4 blinkers button. Turned wiring back to factory defaults, reconnected beeper as it should have been at first place, and threw all 4 button in the bin.
Now everything works like a charm except charging but that will also be sorted out as soon as i get the regulator.

Have a nice day!

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2020, 07:44:03 PM »
Glad you got that sorted.....
Story reminds me of the independent German shop we took my son's Audi 4000S to.
After he and buddy installed a cr_p Walmart stereo in it , car wouldn't run for cr_p.
Took the shop hours to discover the culprit.....
The boys blew a fuse during their installation of the radio - so they replaced the fuse with a nearby one in the fuse box.
Radio worked great - but car wouldn't run for beans.

Shop owner was embarrassed - said, "we never thought to look for a missing fuse in the injection system!"
He charged us for the fuse - zero for his shop time.

teenagers.....
Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()