Author Topic: "Too good to be true" on the replacement belt  (Read 696 times)

moparkid

• View Profile
"Too good to be true" on the replacement belt
« on: May 25, 2019, 11:17:44 PM »
Received my belts from Mad Hornets and as one might expected the belts I paid almost half for (which should have been a dead giveaway) have turned out to be too wide and too short, and not at all kymco brand as their website implies......(my late Father's voice was screaming in my head "don't do it boy, too good to be legit") . So I got back to reality and tried to order 2 from kymcopartsonline.com but for some reason it wont let me place an order as "clock error" message keeps popping up. Anyone else experience this? Guess I'll look on ebay for the belt. But Stig is right....always go with the Kymco brand in the bag to avoid any headaches...here it is the long memorial weekend and my hog is down ....... :(

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: "Too good to be true" on the replacement belt
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2019, 12:53:23 AM »

Watch out for fakes on eBay.
Price for a genuine Kymco belt should be only slightly less than if purchased in the States.

How about these guys ?

https://shop.leesonsarcticcat.com/oempartfinder.htm

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2019, 01:49:48 AM »
Racing Planet has been pretty good for me on aftermarket stuff in general.
They show a few different belts for the DT300i varying from 110-156 USD + shipping. (the trick with RP is that shipping doesn't climb much for multiple items.)
www.racingplanetusa.com/kymco-downtown-300i-transmission-c-2_21322-1.html

Caveat Emptor of course.  Your results may vary, & don't try this at home kids.

They do list a few different DT models in their list, not sure if the belts are different or not for 'em so you'd want to check a bit before ordering.

They have a 12% off coupon out there for the weekend as I recall too.  Didn't check restrictions particularly since I'm happily not in need of any parts from them at the moment, but they show the code here.  https://www.facebook.com/racingplanetusa/

Cheers

Tromper.
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2019, 03:24:13 AM »
Racing Planet has been pretty good for me on aftermarket stuff in general.
They show a few different belts for the DT300i varying from 110-156 USD + shipping. (the trick with RP is that shipping doesn't climb much for multiple items.)
www.racingplanetusa.com/kymco-downtown-300i-transmission-c-2_21322-1.html

Caveat Emptor of course.  Your results may vary, & don't try this at home kids.

They do list a few different DT models in their list, not sure if the belts are different or not for 'em so you'd want to check a bit before ordering.

They have a 12% off coupon out there for the weekend as I recall too.  Didn't check restrictions particularly since I'm happily not in need of any parts from them at the moment, but they show the code here.  https://www.facebook.com/racingplanetusa/

Cheers

Tromper.

That's the difference between "aftermarket" seller and an OEM parts seller.
A Kymco part, or a part which might fit your Kymco. Not at all the same things.
For my $ no one makes a better part for my Kymco, than Kymco.
The only switch I make is away from their stock tires - to Michelins.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

mousejunks

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2019, 04:00:15 AM »
I get genuine Kymco belts from Taiwan Big Scooter Shop. Nothing else fits and works as it should.
'09 Kymco Espresso 150i
'11 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS - 79,500km
'17 Kymco Downtown 350i ABS

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2019, 04:39:22 AM »
I ran an aftermarket belt on my S 200 for thousands of miles. No issues at all.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

moparkid

• View Profile
Re: "Too good to be true" on the replacement belt :
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2019, 02:13:12 AM »
::BELT UPDATE::

Well it turns out my belts are correct from Mad Hornets. I took them yesterday to Graingers to have them measured and they were DEAD SOLID PERFECT as per Kymco specs.

So I reread some past posts on the subject of belts, replacements and repairs and came across one where Crossbolt had recommended using a wood block to press the belt into the clutch sprocket. And then I remembered why I forgot that step....I didn't need that step last time because the belt hadn't broke and when I took off the old one and put in the new one the belt fit below the rim of the pulleys as needed. Since the belt broke this time it spun the clutch shut not allowing the new belt to recess below rim edge, therefore the variator plate would not tighten. Once pressed in I was able to fully tighten the variator plate to fac. spec. Though I can not comment yet on the longevity of the belt, after an hour ride it sure feels good to have a new one and now I also have a spare...plus a second spare since I ordered a new OEM from the kymco dealer here in the area. Amazing how much better it runs with a new belt. My apologies to Mad Hornet...my bad....   

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2019, 08:17:42 PM »
I bought a belt for my GV 250 for less than $20 on ebay. It fit OK but lasted less than 1000 miles before it disintegrated. Some bargain.
2009 GV 250

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()