Author Topic: Problems with the fuel marker  (Read 715 times)

fabiopasche

• View Profile
Problems with the fuel marker
« on: November 05, 2018, 03:17:43 PM »
Here in Brazil we are all having problems with the fuel marker. How is the measurement of you world out?

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
Re: Problems with the fuel marker
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 09:39:43 PM »
the gas bars go down slow  for 200 Km. after that it goes fast,  300 Km. to 340 Km. empty,  the most at 80 Kmph I got 410 Km.  riding on country roads,  no traffic,    on my downtown 300i , 

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 11:09:35 PM »
If you look at the shape of the gas tank, you'll see it's pretty irregular:

https://www.oemmotorparts.com/fiche-l/KYMCO_Downtown%20300%20i%20ABS_Fuel%20%20tank.png

Most likely there's no way for that float on the sender to actually reach the very top.

So first the fuel level needs to go down to a point where the sender will even start to register that fuel was used.
Then, the tank is wider at the top than at the base. So unless the sender goes through some kind of processing (not sure), you'll see an acceleration in how quickly the bars fall relative to the actual amount of fuel used.

mousejunks

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 11:59:20 PM »
It's never accurate. It's better to rely on distance travelled.
'09 Kymco Espresso 150i
'11 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS - 79,500km
'17 Kymco Downtown 350i ABS

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2018, 01:17:48 AM »
Out of character in my experience. De dee said something like it does not move at all then moves fast! The two DT's I have had both would go about 85 miles before the first of the 5 bars disappeared then would go about 115 miles to leave just one bar showing. The bike would travel generally about 230 miles on a full tank before it was very, very close to flame-out. This one in Brazil goes down two bars in 10 kilometers! That tells me the sender is bad. Float, pump and arm are OK but the variable resistor of the sensor is faulty. Keep the pump but change the resistor. Use parts out of a salvage yard because the thing comes as an expensive assembly.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2018, 01:37:11 AM »
... that's a good catch, paying attention to the distance traveled.

fabiopasche

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2018, 09:37:09 PM »
the gas bars go down slow  for 200 Km. after that it goes fast,  300 Km. to 340 Km. empty,  the most at 80 Kmph I got 410 Km.  riding on country roads,  no traffic,    on my downtown 300i ,

When I opened the topic, it was to know if in the land of you, this wrong mark happens as here. The autonomy of the bike, depends a lot on the quality of the fuel and especially how we drive it on the streets. I wanted to understand if the markers in other countries are also inaccurate  ;D

fabiopasche

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2018, 09:38:36 PM »
If you look at the shape of the gas tank, you'll see it's pretty irregular:

https://www.oemmotorparts.com/fiche-l/KYMCO_Downtown%20300%20i%20ABS_Fuel%20%20tank.png

Most likely there's no way for that float on the sender to actually reach the very top.

So first the fuel level needs to go down to a point where the sender will even start to register that fuel was used.
Then, the tank is wider at the top than at the base. So unless the sender goes through some kind of processing (not sure), you'll see an acceleration in how quickly the bars fall relative to the actual amount of fuel used.

So all of us will have this unpredictable mark because of the gas tank being deformed ??

fabiopasche

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2018, 09:42:06 PM »
It's never accurate. It's better to rely on distance travelled.

That's what we all do here.

I for example, when I go to fuel, I set the trip A to 00.00.

I can drive a total distance of about 350 km with a full tank to the iron pin inside the tank

When I reach the 280km mark, I drive for a gas station.

fabiopasche

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2018, 09:45:45 PM »
Out of character in my experience. De dee said something like it does not move at all then moves fast! The two DT's I have had both would go about 85 miles before the first of the 5 bars disappeared then would go about 115 miles to leave just one bar showing. The bike would travel generally about 230 miles on a full tank before it was very, very close to flame-out. This one in Brazil goes down two bars in 10 kilometers! That tells me the sender is bad. Float, pump and arm are OK but the variable resistor of the sensor is faulty. Keep the pump but change the resistor. Use parts out of a salvage yard because the thing comes as an expensive assembly.

This photo above is owned by a different owner. He opened the question on the Brazilian facebook of the Kymco representative in Brazil and we are talking about it.

I'll try to tell him what you told me here.

Thanks a lot for the help.

fabiopasche

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2018, 09:47:41 PM »
... that's a good catch, paying attention to the distance traveled.

I can drive a total distance of about 350 km with a full tank to the iron pin inside the tank

When I reach the 280km mark, I drive for a gas station.

I told a friend that this panel is crazy. The information is there for a quick look

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()