Author Topic: Agility will run 43-47 on flat road...  (Read 4113 times)

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
Agility will run 43-47 on flat road...
« on: July 08, 2009, 11:29:38 PM »
I'm kinda new at upgrading my scooter...agility, and I bought it new in 08...just tripped 30,000 kilometers last week...I had ordered a Malossi Multivar variator...like 9 weeks ago..it came in Monday, but it's not the one I ordered..its for 2 cycles..cobra, dink, people....My drive belt broke Sunday...So I get me a belt from the local bike shop and proceed to tear into this thing...My original variator was SHOT!!!...rollers flat and one was worn nearly in half!...I install the new one and the new belt, but I don't have the tool to dis-assemble the clutch in order to swap out the big spring..(a white spring came with the Multivar kit)...I have excellent initial take-off...and I saw what should be 52 mph down a moderate decline...(of course the speedometer only registers 50)..though i seem to feel a ..."Slip"..or hesitation to accelerate through the mid-range speeds, from about 25 to 40 mph..also during this period, i hear a "rattling" noise...the noise is not audible during initial take-off or after I surpass @ 45 mph...My questions are...What's the purpose of the longer clutch spring, and does anybody have an idea what the "rattle" might be???...and does anybody think that the spring might eliminate the noise...

..since then, I made a tool to replace the spring...did that, and now it only rattles around 40-44mph...but it's LOUD!!....I also forgot to mention that the variator came with 9 gr rollers...

peace

..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

OldGuy

• View Profile
Re: Agility will run 43-47 on flat road...
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 11:56:25 PM »
Okay, I'm having a little problem tracking the history of this rattling thing since it's spread over 4 or 5 topics. So let's start from scratch focusing on the rattle itself. I have the following questions:
  • What is the history of the rattle? Did it start after the variator change or has it always been there?
  • Exactly what does it sound like? High pitched dinging noise, thump or what. Rattle can mean a lot of things to different people.
  • Does the noise track engine speed, scooter speed or is it random?
  • Does the sound pitch vary with speed?
  • Can you reproduce it with the scooter on the center stand?
Let's focus on the problem. Leave out all the comments that are not related to the problem and let's see if we can solve this. ;)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 11:58:39 PM by OldGuy »
OldGuy
Wanna be GrandVista rider

Inside every old person is a young person wondering,
"What the heck happened?"

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 12:36:45 AM »
Okay, I'm having a little problem tracking the history of this rattling thing since it's spread over 4 or 5 topics. So let's start from scratch focusing on the rattle itself. I have the following questions:
  • What is the history of the rattle? Did it start after the variator change or has it always been there?
  • Exactly what does it sound like? High pitched dinging noise, thump or what. Rattle can mean a lot of things to different people.
  • Does the noise track engine speed, scooter speed or is it random?
  • Does the sound pitch vary with speed?
  • Can you reproduce it with the scooter on the center stand?
Let's focus on the problem. Leave out all the comments that are not related to the problem and let's see if we can solve this. ;)

..history..i guess i've started noticing this rattle since I installed the 9 gr weighted variator....

..by rattle, I mean similar to a less frequent "rattlesnake"..noise...

..becomes audible around 25 mph..and is really loud @ 40 mph...between 42 and 45, it goes away completly...45-50+...is awesome...

..the frequency of the "rattle" increases somewhat with speed...

..the pitch is always the same...just the frequency changes...

...i think the noise is present on the stand, though it seems to be much more audible under a load...

..thanks..

peace

OldGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 01:18:53 AM »
First, I'd put it up on the stand and enlist the aid of a helper. Slowly rev the scooter up and see if you can make sure of where the noise is coming from. While the variator is the most likely source since it started right after you worked on that don't make assumptions. The onset may just be coincidental.

My next move would be to take the cover off. Look for anything that is loose. Try moving and shaking parts. Take your time. If that fails, start the scooter with the cover still off. Slowly increase the speed and see if you can at least localize the source of the noise.

A mechanic's stethoscope might be helpful at this point, but use all of you senses. Watch closely, listen and carefully feel. Think before you act. Take your time. Locating things like this requires a lot of patience. Don't "guess" and don't try to take shortcuts. Trust me on the latter. I've been bitten to many times.
OldGuy

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 01:28:34 AM »
...great, man...what you say makes good sense...I've already opened and checked everything for looseness...the only thing I saw, was the starter..unit..is very loose without the cover...I realize that it must ..reciprocate, in and out...however, the outer O.D, where it seats into the casing, has a lot of "free play"....you think that might be what I'm hearing?....come to think about it...I have heard a very brief "squealing" noise a cpl times when starting it up...hhhmm....

OldGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 08:03:56 AM »
Could be. Can you shim it, even temporarily?
OldGuy

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 03:12:10 PM »
...yeah, I could try that...I have some shim-stock here at the plant...that 40 mph thing is really baffling...I don't even have to look at my speedometer to know when I'm at 42...the noise is really loud as I pass from 40 to 42...at which point it stops abruptly...

OldGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 04:54:38 PM »
...yeah, I could try that...I have some shim-stock here at the plant...that 40 mph thing is really baffling...I don't even have to look at my speedometer to know when I'm at 42...the noise is really loud as I pass from 40 to 42...at which point it stops abruptly...
That sounds like harmonic resonance. There is, of course some vibration introduced by any engine. At some point (in your case apparently about 42) the inertia of the part becomes to great to allow the offending piece to vibrate enough to make an audible noise.
OldGuy

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2009, 08:00:49 PM »
...yeah...maybe so...I hear and feel the harmonics...the rattle doesn't really coincide with it...I'm going to try shimming the starter unit...at least that  will eliminate the starter being the source, if nothing else...

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2009, 02:01:13 AM »
I tried shimming the starter...well, the noise was eliminated...however, it dragged and would not "cold" start...i hadda kick it, but I had to know if shimming made a difference...(started on the second kick)...so i got back in after the test ride...un-shimmed the starter and removed 3 of the 9 gr rollers...My engine revs higher than it ever has...I have excellent take-off and accelleration through 25-40 mph...on "flat" road in still air 44-47...if I enter even a slight decline and I'm running 45...50 plus comes easy...

...thanx for your time and help OldGuy...

peace

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2009, 03:38:01 AM »
man I took my agility in to shope because it was also makeing a noise in the motor behind the fly wheel
sound like the same thing you are going threw tell me what was the final income of what was wrong with your scoot. Im hopeing not the cam drive. maybe the starter but cant pin poit the noise.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2009, 10:25:18 AM »
...for what I can tell, it's just the starter rattling around a bit....WHen I shimmed it, the noise went away, but It would not auto start...I removed the shim, and the noise returned...I'm not sweatin' it so much anymore....

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2009, 01:52:37 AM »
mmmmmmm  maybe thats all it is on mine hope so.stell waiting to see if the shope well cover it under warranty. im thinking not because I did the cdi box thing.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2009, 10:36:52 AM »
...my dealer cut my cdi....

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2009, 01:56:33 PM »
just found out the stearing is going bad also need to replace a link in the stearing. hope to try this myself.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()