Author Topic: Rain protection  (Read 4490 times)

TANWare

• E3.38, RP oil Eng & FD, Dr Pulley 20x12 14 gr
    • View Profile
Rain protection
« on: August 20, 2011, 07:38:55 AM »
Well got stuck in the rain again yesterday. This time at least I got to keep moving. Even though I spent a good 25 minutes dodging the droplets my pants were only very damp and my shirt was soaked but not dripping wet. Did all of this without even gloves and 70 MPH at times yet no real stinging pains, I should note open face helmet and its shield down.

I can see now there is ample riding protection but I do need to get some real rain gear. I can say as well the bike stayed planted to the road very well. My Honda V65 Magna makes me nervous even on a damp roadway, that could though be having 4x the HP too.

racewalker

• View Profile
Re: Rain protection
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 10:35:41 AM »
I always ride with proper gear. I use a textile outfit which is water proof and gloves and boots. I got caught again last night on the way home. 48 K at about 110 km, I was dry when I got home.  :)
08 People S 125
11 Downtown 300i

TANWare

• E3.38, RP oil Eng & FD, Dr Pulley 20x12 14 gr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 03:38:14 PM »
I never use to ride in the rain. Forcast lied and I payed.............. :)

Goodrich

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 05:55:29 PM »
It rained hard and for a long time the other night while I was at work.  My DT was under a tree but it still got rained on and for quite a while.  Does the instrument cluster pay a price when you leave it out in the rain?

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 07:11:19 PM »
It rained hard and for a long time the other night while I was at work.  My DT was under a tree but it still got rained on and for quite a while.  Does the instrument cluster pay a price when you leave it out in the rain?

If you think about it hard enough.. you'll probably come to the conclusion that ANY motorcycle
should be protected from the weather.. or most of them would die on first month or two of riding.
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: 2003 Peugeot Speedfight2 LC, 2007 Kawasaki ER-6F ABS, 2006 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS,

racewalker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 01:16:06 AM »
I ride a lot in the rain, does not hurt the bike a bit. Just ride slower and be safe.
08 People S 125
11 Downtown 300i

scootinChris

• View Profile
    • Toronto Moto Scooter Club
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 01:44:21 AM »
I always ride with proper gear. I use a textile outfit which is water proof and gloves and boots.
What gear are you wearing?
I have a Nexo leather jacket and was looking at the Horny Toadz from Frogg Toggs in Hi-Viz colour, but it's out of stock. Thus need to look at alternatives? :-\
Any recommendations for rain gear  ??? Preferably in Hi-Viz...
Have Fun & Ride Safe!  ATGATT

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011, 01:27:38 PM »
What gear are you wearing?
I have a Nexo leather jacket and was looking at the Horny Toadz from Frogg Toggs in Hi-Viz colour, but it's out of stock. Thus need to look at alternatives? :-\
Any recommendations for rain gear  ??? Preferably in Hi-Viz...

As far as I know, every single motorcycle jacket/pants manufacturer makes some water proof stuff, and most make dedicated rain
suits. I've got a Sidi 1 piece suit the day I bought my bike and used it probably 5 times in 4 years.. (and over 50.000km on 3 bikes).
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: 2003 Peugeot Speedfight2 LC, 2007 Kawasaki ER-6F ABS, 2006 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS,

racewalker

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2011, 04:08:51 PM »
The brand is "Speed and Strength". It is textile water proof hi vis jacket and black pants. It is a bit warm on hot days. I also "have a first gear" mesh jacket with a water proof add in liner I use on hot days but have not tested it in heavy rain yet. It is also hi vis. We have been having rain and hi winds here it seems about every 2 or 3 days lately.
08 People S 125
11 Downtown 300i

StKilda

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 11:24:25 AM »
what I found best is a proper bike jacket, layered for all seasons, draggin jeans, and I bought a cheap pair of waterproof pants to go over jeans from camping shop, keep them under the seat incase it rains and never get wet again. If you wear a leather jacket, I do some times. I have a cheap waterproof top also under seat waterproofs rolled up take up little room. Works for me.

SpikeOne

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2011, 03:29:02 PM »
I have to confess to not going all out on protection.
I would dearly love to be able to afford really expensive armour and the like, but there's a limit to my finances.
Obviously I wear a dome, and leather gloves, albeit fairly cheap ones, but enough to protect my hands should I have an off.
I do have some paddock boots which I wear more for the road grip than anything else, and then usually only when I'm expecting dodgey weather and travelling more than just around town.
A good stout waterproof quilted jacket to keep me warm, and a pair of lightweight waterproof leggings under the seat, just in case.

I figure, I fell off loads of times when I was young, and generally rolled - anything else and no amount of protection going to do much.
I lost the skin off my knees and elbows on more than one occasion, but kept riding anyway. Now I'm middle aged, and a bit portly, (well, more than a bit, if the truth be known), I'll probably roll even better and bounce a bit, but as I haven't fallen off in about thirty years, (famous last words), my riding skills are obviously more defensive, and I only have to worry about other drivers.

And frankly, there's not a lot you can do about that in a crisis!!! Other than pray!
Spike
Gloucestershire - Ingerlund...

Current ride - Kymco Downtown 300i
Previously owned:-
Yamaha Vity
MZ ETZ251
Honda CD175
Honda CB250 G5
BSA Bantam D14/4
BSA Sunbeam
Honda C50

JENNY

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2011, 02:11:33 PM »
Frog Toggs is excellent rain gear, light weight, warm, and dry!  I can offer one of the best deals around on a complete set.  www.tntcycles-atv.com

jenny
tntcycles
717-453-7265

bandit

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2011, 08:15:54 PM »
Jenny is right. Frogg toggs are the way to go. You don't burn up in the summer rain like you do with the plastic type rain suits. I even put them on top of my waterproof jacket. It you ride in the rain all day like on a road trip with a waterproof riding jacket remember most waterproof jackets have a waterproof liner inside the jacket,The textile on the outside will get wet. They are fine for short rides in the rain,but all day rides the fabric will get wet and become very heavy.It feels like you are wearing weights on you arms and shouders.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()