Author Topic: the LIKE's brakes, or the h o r n ??  (Read 1126 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
the LIKE's brakes, or the h o r n ??
« on: June 02, 2017, 01:27:18 PM »

I was riding home on my LIKE200i on this divided blvd this morning (photo of my Forza a few yrs ago on same blvd---- one wide lane ea. way, divided by large grass islands - to the R in this photo)
Full daylight, posted 35mph.
I'm always alert to the front wheels of cars at the side streets here.....but this morning I noted a speeding black pick-up approaching on the opposite side. I also noted a white truck waiting at a left side street. The white truck wasn't moving....but the black truck was suddenly slowing. Obviously he was going to turn across my front. I'm touching my brakes...
Was he going to wait for me to pass ? NOPE ! he's making a snap turn dead into me.
I come to nearly a full stop near his passenger door as he shoots down the side street.

In that nano-second I considered pressing my horn button - but - "you know what?...my time would be better spent getting on the brakes!"

Two thoughts, afterwards:
(1) I think I'm correct in not reducing left hand control of the bars by simultaneously fingering the brake lever and thumbing the horn.

And (2) ---- scooters should have a voice activated loud speaker, so that my hands and fingers could do their things in an emergency -- ....whilst I call that fleeing driver a filthy name!

Really does pay to cover the brakes, and even slow if someone even looks like they might be about to do something stupid.
If I hadn't started slowing even before he started his turn - the driver of the white truck would have been telling the Officer what had just happened.

Stig

PS: I don't cuss, ever. But, doesn't mean I don't know some French, if exercised.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 01:30:22 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
Re: the LIKE's brakes, or the h o r n ??
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 04:38:43 PM »
I know your frustration and anger, for sure. Has happened to me more times that I care to remember.
I always take note of the position of a left turner's wheels, because the last thing one does before starting a left turn is cut the wheels. Works if they are sitting still, but with a roll on,  that split second
of response time is lost. Like you, I always cover my brakes when things up ahead look dicey. I have found, and I know you practice it also, the very best safety procedure is the ask our GOD to keep us safe and help us ride within the law and in consideration of other drivers. Works for me.

Mac
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 08:12:36 PM »
Yow! YOW! YOW, Stig! Please check your seat for extra button holes!

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 08:28:09 PM »
Glad you're ok Stig. You were getting the big picture. You foresaw a potentially dangerous situation. You responded promptly and correctly to the threat. You were not hurt. The horn seems to be a non-issue in this instance. Great job Tom! And a great reminder for us all.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2017, 10:32:21 PM »
Glad to hear you made it though okay, Stig, and with the actions of a boss rider to boot. Covering brakes and keeping an eye on the tire of any potential left turner/intersection runners is the best standard procedure in my opinion. I was coming back from Philly today on its main street when I was passed by a MC rider driving like a squid -- doing a good 50-60 on a 30 mph street. If what happened to you had happened not him he'd be spending the night in the morgue.

- Wolf

big blue

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2017, 03:08:57 AM »
Brakes first, then horn every time!  :P
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

Redk

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 05:40:46 AM »
I'd consider it a win if you are here to talk about it, Stig.
Back to basics.

18 wheeler kinda squeezed me out of the lane the other day...  then the rear axles of the 40ft trailer passed me.
I just kinda figured he was now where he wanted to be.
Doesn't do much good to argue with the gorilla in the room.

I didn't even bother to tell him he was No. 1 when I passed him on the hill a mile ahead.
redk

I'll dig out a pic for you, from last year...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()