Author Topic: 450i UTV Fuel Filter?  (Read 1273 times)

DaveTJ321

• View Profile
450i UTV Fuel Filter?
« on: November 21, 2022, 09:16:51 PM »
Hi All,
Our 2015 UXV450i UTV runs great when we're moving along.  The trouble is at idle speed, or shifting between gears, it almost always stalls out.  I think it probably had some gas sit in it for too long between use when we lived in Colorado as it was just to cold to use in the winter.  I probably put fuel stabilizer in too late.  Anyway, is there a fuel filter than can be replaced?  Also, where would I get parts? 

Speaking of parts, the little rubber cap on the coolant overlow tank is brittle and cracked.  Where can I find a replacement cap?

Finally, we're just getting 4 new tires at 900 miles.  I'm just curious how long everyone else's stock tires lasted?  We have probably done 90% offroad but have been on pavement, but not much. 

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

airshot

• View Profile
Re: 450i UTV Fuel Filter?
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2022, 04:12:59 AM »
I also have a 2015 model 450i and it gas been a great machine!! As far as a fuel filter....I dont know but will look it up in my service manual.  If there isn't one, time to put an inline filter in the fuel line.  Old fuel can cause issues, drain or siphon as much as possible and add fresh.  My rubber cap on the coolant bottle is also dry and cracked, coated it with silicone grease to keep it from getting worse.  Looking for an expansion plug to replace it with.  My stick tires were replaced around 1800 miles, worn but not bald, saved them onto spare rims to use when pavement riding.  I live in the coyntry and we can ride on the back roads..   I replaced mine with SunF AO33 bias ply tires.  Have a few hundred miles on them, no complaints.  Work well in snow, quite and smooth on pavement.  Havent been in deep mud but confident due to snow performance. The nice partbisvthey are not that expensive, and have really stiff side walls.  In fact you can run them with O air pressure at slow speed if you get a nasty blowout you cant fix on the trail !!!  They are also a true 25" tire, mabey even plus a little. I always use fuel conditioner in my SxS and my boat, never had an issue with either !! Will be getting my soft side enclosure and plow mount on so it is ready for winter snow plowing, cant wait, fun times plowing snow!!

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2022, 11:02:31 PM »
Brought my machine into the garage to get it ready for winter...looked all over the fuel system, hoses, pump etc and no sign of anything that looks like a filter.  If any otger owners have found one, hopefully they will chime in here and let us know.  If there is no filter, I will consider adding an inline somevwhere in the system.  Never gave it a thought until you brought it up...thanks for getting my attention.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2022, 02:00:28 AM »
On my KYMCO scooter.....the filter is on the end of the fuel pump...which resides in the fuel tank, and thus is not a serviceable item!
If your pump is not in the tank....then perhaps the filter is in the tank on the fuel pickup?

Stig
« Last Edit: November 24, 2022, 02:02:51 AM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Bratman2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2022, 02:29:42 PM »
Colorado, such a beautiful state. My oldest daughter has lived there for many years. I am guessing you have 10% ethanol fuel in your tank. Shelf life without any stabilizers is only around 3 months. Sounds like you may have moved. If so, it might be a little easier to find pure gas which has double the shelf life. You can go to pure-gas.org and locate ethanol free fuel in your city. I would not think it is a filter. Reason being if it was plugged up your symptoms should be reversed, I would think anyways. Idle fine and stalling at speed. On my 450i atv I bought new I had right much trouble with it stalling the first couple of hundred miles. If memory serves me, I think I went one sparkplug range hotter and that cured mine. Have no clue if that is your problem but a sparkplug is pretty cheap. Like already mentioned I would first try and get as much of the old fuel out and replace with fresh! Pure if you can find it! Good luck and let us know what you find out!
2019 UXV 700i LE Hunter
2014 MXU 450i
2004 Mongoose 90 (grandson's)
2010 Grizzly 450

Bratman2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2022, 02:43:06 PM »
Forgot about the tire question. Article I read many years ago discussing all terrain tires stated offroad miles wore tires out way faster than pavement. The reason being was that sand/dirt is very rough. Can't remember all the details but a grain of sand/dirt has many different sharp edges. My UXV 700i has maybe 3/4 of the tread left with just over 1k miles. Mine mostly runs in grass, yard, road right away (grass), 15% dirt and maybe 10-15% pavement. If it continues, I might get 2.5k or more out of my factory tires.
2019 UXV 700i LE Hunter
2014 MXU 450i
2010 Grizzly 450

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2022, 02:32:27 AM »
tires..... I have a street registration (limited to roads with 40mph or less posted speed within 10 mile radius of my office/home address, or 2 mile radius of any jobsite I trailer to) I tow my backhoe (1000lb) often, and I work it in the woods gathering firewood, and plow snow in the winter.  One tank of gas/400 miles = a set of off road tires. I have a separate set of wheels with chains, that I mounted in winter for plowing. but I do so much pavement, towing, that regular offroad tires MELT, so I bought a set of 15" wheels, and now I run winter car tires, and they have enuf traction on snow & ice, I don't have to switch to my set with chains (Trygg), summer pavement doesn't melt them like a 2 ton car, and so far, they have been good on the little trail riding I do, with the exception of the rougher ride the higher pressures give you about 1k miles so far/1.5 yr, and they still look new
RandyO
IBA#9560

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2022, 09:28:19 PM »
Forgot about the tire question. Article I read many years ago discussing all terrain tires stated offroad miles wore tires out way faster than pavement. The reason being was that sand/dirt is very rough. Can't remember all the details but a grain of sand/dirt has many different sharp edges. My UXV 700i has maybe 3/4 of the tread left with just over 1k miles. Mine mostly runs in grass, yard, road right away (grass), 15% dirt and maybe 10-15% pavement. If it continues, I might get 2.5k or more out of my factory tires.
Different tires have different hardness of the rubber,  soft rubber will wear faster and most original tires are soft.  One reason I went with the SunF tires is they are a harder rubber and reports are they wear better, especially on pavement.  RandyO has had great luck with road tires on all surfaces....they are of a much harder rubber than off road tires.  You dint need sift rubber to get good traction like mfgrs want you to believe.....they just want to sell you more tires!!!  Lol

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2022, 08:36:12 PM »
Different tires have different hardness of the rubber,  soft rubber will wear faster and most original tires are soft.  One reason I went with the SunF tires is they are a harder rubber and reports are they wear better, especially on pavement.  RandyO has had great luck with road tires on all surfaces....they are of a much harder rubber than off road tires.  You dint need sift rubber to get good traction like mfgrs want you to believe.....they just want to sell you more tires!!!  Lol

the tires I run have sipes
RandyO
IBA#9560

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2022, 10:18:33 PM »
the tires I run have sipes

Sipes are great for wet pavement, not only channels water away but allows the rubber to move sort of like a squeege on the road !!!

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2022, 03:29:54 PM »
Sipes are great for wet pavement, not only channels water away but allows the rubber to move sort of like a squeege on the road !!!

Good for ice grip too, and slippery rocks
RandyO
IBA#9560

DaveTJ321

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2022, 08:11:32 PM »

I actually had changed the sparkplug some time ago and it didn't do a thing for the stalling.  Do you have one you'd recommend?  It's easy enough to try another.  I'm also wondering if anyone has tried Seafoam?  I watched a video on it and they spray it just past the intake before the throttle body but say not to do it where there is an oxygen sensor downwind.  It looks like there are a few plugs there that I wouldn't want to mess up.  Is there a way to spray past them? 

I actually bought the Sunf tires too...still waiting to put them on.  My originals with 900 miles are pretty worn.  They're used mostly on dirt and rock here in AZ.  The machine is really capable...have had it basically rock-crawling at times, teetering on two wheels.  We've had it on top of a 14,000 foot peak in Colorado.   We actually had to rescue a guy in a newer Yamaha side by side the other week who broke down.  He rode in the bed back to the main road area with us. 

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2022, 11:27:02 PM »
I use all NGK plugs in my machine, same that came with it.  In fact mine is original with 2200 miles on it.  I also use the seafoam fuel additive, have used it for years.  I pour it in the fuel as a cleaner and stabilizer. Helps overcome moisture in the tank and helps keep that steel tank from rusting.  Also use it in my lawnmower, both outboard motors on my boat as well as both snowblowers!!  Good stuff !!   My coolant tank plug also cracked so bought a plug with a snap top at local Menards.  They have a selection of different sizes, sort of looks like an old time thermos plug.  The 3/4" size works if you adjust the expansion as large as possible...  Keep us posted on what you find...

Bratman2

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2022, 02:05:41 AM »
NGK CR6E is one step hotter for the 450 motors. Sorry to hear you still have not found the problem!
2019 UXV 700i LE Hunter
2014 MXU 450i
2010 Grizzly 450

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()