Author Topic: STIG- new parts SOLVED~!  (Read 35069 times)

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: STIG- new parts report
« Reply #120 on: October 07, 2014, 09:55:37 PM »
Great report, Stig! I am happy to see your video of the machine in action. Either way, the fault in my opinion is in the "Everything ECU, TPS, MAP & ISC" box. The voltage output of the TPS is varying while it should be steady(you obviously know that). That is either a function of the TPS or the 5 v supplied by the ECU. The resistance of the TPS apparently is NOT changing since it is steady with the engine off. The key is the vibration when the engine is running. You know what I'm gonna say next, dontcha? It is way past high time the dealer gets off his can and takes care of this little problem. It should not cost him a dime if he fills out the paperwork to KYMCOUSA properly.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 08, 2014, 02:59:59 PM »
Great report, Stig! I am happy to see your video of the machine in action. Either way, the fault in my opinion is in the "Everything ECU, TPS, MAP & ISC" box. The voltage output of the TPS is varying while it should be steady(you obviously know that). That is either a function of the TPS or the 5 v supplied by the ECU. The resistance off the TPS apparently is NOT changing since it is steady with the engine off. The key is the vibration when the engine is running. You know what I'm gonna say next, dontcha? It is way past high time the dealer gets off his can and takes care of this little problem. It should not cost him a dime if he fills out the paperwork to KYMCOUSA properly.

Karl

Karl, phoned the dealer this morning.
Service manager called the Kymco rep last week.
No reply yet.(weds Oct 8  )
Last I heard the fellow working on my scooter was at least considering putting in a warranty request for a new throttle body. I will try to check with Kymco rep. to see what dealer said to him, and where I stand now.
Stig/Tom
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 05:40:30 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #122 on: October 08, 2014, 03:23:57 PM »
From my experience working with Kymco, they are very open to warranty fixes. This is the dealer copping out. I'm sorry to hear about this, and wish you were closer because we could hook you up. They are "considering" submitting a claim?!??? Wtf, meaning they haven't yet...... Just sad.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 08, 2014, 09:22:18 PM »
Sounds like progress, Stig! However slow it seems like progress. I, too, wish you were closer to B & L so some kind of action could have been taken before now. I await any word ya got!

Karl
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 08, 2014, 10:37:33 PM »
Stig,

I'll put my $.02 worth in and shutup. I know this has to be a PITA to deal with. Having had 3 warranty repairs (2 batteries and an oil seal) I can say my dealer had no issues with filing claims with Kymco and resolving the issues in an efficient manner. The only delay was due to a seal that was out of stock. It took about 10 days to arrive. I believe the problem lies with your dealer. Dealers agree to charge distributors a reduced rate for their service on warranty work. If the service bay is inexperienced on Kymco's it could cost the dealer $ on a already tight revenue stream.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 09, 2014, 12:51:26 AM »
Goofed off riding too much after work because it was such a great sunny afternoon (with rain in the forecast until April it seems) ....too late to call Kymco HQ by the time I got home.....
but to add some lightness to this situation:

Did some pinstriping on the ol' Forza and a used some of that magic Super Glaze Wax Shop stuff.....
Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 09, 2014, 09:00:31 PM »
How many miles on the Honda?

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 09, 2014, 10:20:17 PM »
How many miles on the Honda?
Yes,
I was thinking about this yesterday as I looked down at the odometer on the Honda.
I've done nearly 2000 miles of riding while I wait on the verdict with the LIKE.
Admittedly - I ride a much larger circuit on higher speed roads now with this bigger scooter.
I just was not comfortable riding over 40MPH on the LIKE - perhaps because I was perched so high on that rebuilt seat.
High seat + short wheelbase + light weight = .... :-\
Several Forza owners have commented on its stability & balance - the seat is too low for my taste (28") but you really do sit down in this longer and heavier scooter. The motorcycle-like handlebars are easy to set for a comfortable riding position...and of course the weight and length make for a much smoother ride over the same roads that tossed me about on my LIKE.
Still, I miss riding the LIKE in town.....squirts through traffic, light & powerful brakes - good tires in the wet (like today's rain ride to work and back - had to hammer the Forza's Dunlops in the rain at one of those lights too close turning yellow but too far to get through the red. The big scoot stopped quick & hard with no drama.)

I purchased the LIKE thinking I could do country road rides (NO highways!) - but for whatever reasons - I was not comfortable out there on those roads, so stayed on 35mph or less streets.
The Honda is a better choice for rural Ohio (for me) ....and I'm getting used to its looks.
Will try Kymco Rep. again tomorrow.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 09, 2014, 11:35:02 PM »
They remind me of Oscar, and Felix.  Nice pair Stig!

Ps... I would stop using that wax. I think it might be radioactive.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 11:37:22 PM by zombie »
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 11, 2014, 06:41:23 AM »
Nice pair in your stable. What speeds are you riding the Honda at? it looks like it's going fast just parked.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 13, 2014, 03:41:33 PM »
Nice pair in your stable. What speeds are you riding the Honda at? it looks like it's going fast just parked.

Not much faster than I rode the LIKE....it's not the engine that limits me (though the wheelbase, weight and tire size are factors)....probably has more to do with my comfort zones.
Obviously I'm more comfortable on a bigger scooter and can comfortably go 50-55 if I have to - or more to get myself out of the way - they say this Forza can cruise comfortably at 70, or even a bit more. But I'll never find out.
It's not the scoot. My kids will tell you I never go the speed limit on the highway either. Which is 70MPH here.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 13, 2014, 03:49:20 PM »
(After a message from the Kymco USA rep. late last week - hoping for some confirmed good news re. my LIKE this week. !) No one's talking to me, yet - but the report is the dealer & KYMCO are talking to each other.

I think this engine trouble started on July 4th (2014) an hour into my morning ride....after which I headed straight home.
 And I reported it on July 5th.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 13, 2014, 04:57:42 PM »
Yeah, 5 July. Let's see: July, August, September and now it is 13 October. A good, solid FOUR MONTHS that your dealer and your regional rep have dragged their collective feet on this problem. This would be really tough on someone that had banked on Kymco reliability, reputation and 2-year warranty for work transportation. Let's hope they are talking to each other with some positive results.

Karl

PS: You are truly a classy, patient guy, Stig!
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #133 on: October 13, 2014, 07:15:28 PM »
This is just sad......... :( that dealer it's straight up retarded or lazy, how hard is it to look at the scan tool and see the tps jump, which i clearly saw on your video and which i would say is the cause. Have you emailed the kymco rep those videos? I would push that on them. And if the dealer gives you any more answers like "we sent in the request" it's BULLsh**!!!! To highlight how bullsh** it is, I have a customer that purchased a Compago 110i (same efi setup as the like). She has had it throwing codes, temp sensor malfunction and charging system malfunction. Talked to my guy Chip at Kymco (their best tech there and also a funny and helpful dude) and replaced her temp sensor under warranty. The codes came back on her after a few weeks. Talked to Chip and told him I believe it's the ecu "thinking" there's a problem and he was totally fine with replacing the ecu/throttle body under warranty, all i had to do was tel him what I thought the problem was, may fix it may not. So i ordered the part and filed a claim on their online warranty system. The point of this story is to highlight that Kymco is ok to warranty parts that the tech thinks are bad. The problem, and what i suspect your dealer is trying to avoid, is that kymco does not just pay the dealer or ship free parts. We have to order parts, get billed for it, take shop time etc. Then warranty claims get paid on a quarterly basis so it takes months to get paid. We are ok with that because we actually care about customers scooters. Maybe your dealer is trying to wait out your warranty? Which is illegal. Anyway, if i owned the shop i work at i would go as far as ordering and filling you the warranty claim on the video basis alone, but my boss wouldn't go for that haha. You can use me as a reference in talking with kymco directly and let them know what I've said etc. They do have the ability to warranty parts directly to the customer but really never do that, good luck Stig.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 13, 2014, 09:33:07 PM »
This is just sad.........  They do have the ability to warranty parts directly to the customer but really never do that, good luck Stig.

Well Crapp, I googled up a map to see if Oregon is in the USA....it is. But dayem, it's all up hill from Ohio!
Even though it's only about 4" on my 17" monitor....and I love my LIKE200eye... I ain't pushin it that far for service!

You know, I did give the KYMCO fellow a link to the video in my first email contact with KYMCO USA.
The email was forwarded to my friendly rep (he only got a little testy with me once - I think he was upset that I refuse to leave messages on his always 'away' phone...so I emailed KYMCO again - since that worked so well the 1st time!)
He did not look at the video - just said that he was 'sorry' that I had posted it on youtube (I'm not savy enough to know how to send videos - and amazed myself that I got it from my phone to youtube! I put it there to get help from you guys, after striking out at the dealer)

And in my last email I suggested that he just send the throttle body to me, because: I have 7000 miles experience with this scoot. I know it is not running right. I don't really want to pay the dealer to take any more WOT test rides that will not uncover the problem. And, I have a KYMCO scanner - and they can't seem to find the time to order one.

I really do love that little scooter....I keep it so clean the tech. doing the write up at the dealer thought it was new, until he saw the odometer....then asked if it was under warranty with that many miles. "Sure, several more months."
Not to beat a dead squirrel....but, a big reason I went with a Honda to get me back on the road was because there are 3 or 4 Honda dealers around me (there are less than 50 Level 5 Honda Powerhouse dealerships in the USA....2 of them are 1/2 hour from me). I can walk in there and talk Forza valve shims with the service dept. and he has them on a shelf. (Remember, my Kymco dealer had never done a valve adjustment on a LIKE and they had been selling them for a couple of years. $372 for the 600 mile service.)
My dealer had Friendly folks for the sales.....friendly at the parts and service desks. But they did not have the Kymco 'program' in their 'system' ..."but the boss will be getting it in there soon." Friendly - but they didn't have anything, and couldn't get me anything for my Kymco. So I got my OEM accessories from that neat little scooter shop in Texas. 

My 'take away' from all of this is:
1) Kymco makes a pretty good scooter and several of its models are bargains.
2) The local dealer support might just be more important than the brand of scooter. (Genuine, SYM, Kymco, Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki....whatever)
3) I did not know this when I walked in and saw new scooters for sale at my local 2-wheel dealer.

I will report .......
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()