Author Topic: Purple Haze....all in my brain  (Read 26185 times)

thebatman

• The Bat lives on... like the fkn Energizer Bunny
    • View Profile
Purple Haze....all in my brain
« on: May 19, 2012, 11:07:03 PM »
What's up guys?
A cpl of you have already had a preview of this scoot. Others may remember a few weeks back when i posted a vid of a running engine that kept dying out. This scooter is that engine.
This has been a LONG-TERM project for me. A HARD-CORE budget build. It has probably taken me a YEAR just to get her to this point. Of course if the parts were bouoght new, then i could have had her a long time ago. I happen to not be able to do such things.  :'( A hazzard of being a broke azz nigga in the hills of WNC.
In my mind i always wanted to have 2 L.C Super 9's and of course 2 ZX's then i'd be satisfied and happy.. Well, of course have ALL 4 RUNNING at the SAME time!!  ::)
This thread will show the birth and start of life for 1 of those L.C S 9's. She still has a long way to go but it dam sure isn't as far away as it has been.
I have a sh** load of pics, alot are "showing it off" type sh**.
I am going to leave this one OEM....for the majority.
I have struggled with a name for her.... @ 1st i was thinking "Plum Crazy"...."Purple Passion".
I dig the name "Purple Haze"....(i hope she ends up being a blur going down the rd, "it was just a purple haze ociffer".  ;D)
 "Purple Haze...all in my brain....lately things..just don't seem the same.--Acting funny and i dont know why......scuse me....while i kiss the sky".....
Of course if you went with a shorter 1 word name....."violet"...even tho it's "rich plum"..(which would keep in line with "lil red", the zx)...input????..... I have had several votes for "Purple Haze" already BTW..
I will try and tune her in better. Try and copy Nina's set-up as much as i can.  ;D  :-X
I do hope to get loads of input from you guys. (got the idea of needing a complete rebuild a cpl weeks ago.  ;))
It will probably take me a bit to upload some pics of her beginning but imma working on it now.
Thanks for looking/reading and any input.... Here come pics............
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:
"A goal without a plan is just a dream"......

thebatman

• View Profile
Re: Purple Haze....all in my brain
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 11:19:05 PM »

Before any new life began, the 1st death had to be accepted. Here we have 2 scooter deaths and left with a skeleton of what remains of 2 seperate Kymco Super 9's.
The frame on the blocks is a '07 A.C. frame
The bent frame is a '04 L.C. frame

See how desparate some can get to have a wish of 2 L.C. S9's....
Talk about starting from stratch.  ::)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 11:21:39 PM by thebatman »
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:

thebatman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 11:30:55 PM »
I did not have any plastic so i was gonna runa naked scoot. I wanted some Kawasaki green but didnt find any to my liking. Decided agasinst Canary Yellow, red, etc. and finally decided to go with "Rich Plum" for my color... Thought plum/silver/and a touch of black.
Got the frame painted, got a front end on it

"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:

thebatman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 11:46:32 PM »
I took the '07 frame and installed any of the '04 parts that were any good. Had $50 in both frames
Got me a '04 engine with about 15,000KMS for $150
Finally did get engine to start, leaking base gasket as well...

Found a set of bent A.C bars but traded them for some bent L.C. bars..(the ac bars dont have the thread for the oem bar-end weights on the handlebars)

Cleaned and painted the engine... Had to rebuild the water-pump, installed new gaskets. Cleaned the bore up a lil bit. cleaned out the cvt parts

"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:

thebatman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 11:55:18 PM »
I got the other wheel painted along with a rear fender and installed on the engine as well.
I happened to have a technigas next-r pipe. That was a blessing since i didn't have one at all. I painted it to match as well..

"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:

thebatman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 12:01:23 AM »
Then comes time to finally install the engine on the frame..
Didn't have the swingarm to bolt it down but at least i could mount the engine.. I finally did find a swingarm and mounted it and the silver rear brake caliper...(never seen a s9 witha  silver caliper at all, always been red... come to find out this caliper looks just like the ppl front caliper.... maybe it was at one point... :-\)

"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:

thebatman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 12:12:27 AM »

Of course after this point she sat for a lil while..
Then a cpl weeks ago i posted the vid of the sh**ty sounding engine....
Tore it DOWN. Installed new bearings, new seals, new piston kit, cleaned bore.
For this i was able to use my brand new tool...The "Tusk" crank installer and a scooter flywheel puller...
HOW DID I LIVE W/O THESE 2 TOOLS??????????
Along with the new full rebuild, i done the cases a matte black as well and got rid of the bright cases...

Doing the good 'ol leak down test here in this pic.... she seems pretty dam good.. ;D
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:

thebatman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 12:19:56 AM »
Now came time to RE-install the NEW RE-build....
Thank the lord i actually had a set of "Naraku" bearings and seals to even do this rebuild again. I had bought them long ago but never did use them, they finally came in handy.  :P

"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:

thebatman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 12:34:09 AM »
I had finally aquired a few plastic pieces, so i finally got those painted and this brings us to today. I went and installed the plastics i do have adn tried to start some sort of tunning on this thing.
I will post the vid of the 1st crank. A cpl of you have heard that sweet sound already..

Here is what she is looking like right now.....
Well, lemme show off the paint job that i am not to happy with. To much dam dust in the air, got in the paint...

"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:

thebatman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2012, 12:37:09 AM »

"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:

thebatman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2012, 12:52:55 AM »
Today while i was getting the panels ready for install i took her for a teast ride.
Take-off was great, she fell out of the power-band. shot down to like 6g's. I had 7g rollers, went to 6.5's...
At the moment she has oem var--oem clutch--Malossi green contra w/5g rollers(actually 30.6 gram).
Take-off lags now but she stays in the band..
I have a Malossi purple contra, should have some clutch springs to swap. The hills seem good right now. she kept a good 8g's going up the hill i did

The carb is off of course..
Has the OEM 82mj--35pj, mix @ 1 out, stock air-box.
She is rich for some reason... Yes Word i thought about you and checked the oil pump setting.. :D
I have a pipe on it, you would think it would lighten the plug, not be that rich OEM for sure.
I cut open the plug to really see it. Showed it to WORD earlier as well. HEre is that plug.....

Looks pretty rich for OEM huh?..(the mix was @ 1-1/2 at the pic time)
This could/maybe/possibly explain bit of the lagging i do feel. Maybe she getting TOOO rich and lagging.
I was nervous about the jetting since word is at a 117 atm.(oem is 82) My jets are always smaller than his of course since i am at a 2225 ft above sea level.

I never can remember about the direction of a fuel screw. WORD did advise me today that it is clock-wise to lean.. I may NEED to install the open filter so it will lean out a bit.
SOOOOO odd that word was getting odd readings with the next-r pipe and this sh** is to rich..

Let's get some feed-back and get this thread popping.  :D
Thanks guys.......

YES i will finally stop posting and shut the fk up.  :D  ;)  :-X  :-X  :-X  .........  :-\
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 12:54:29 AM by thebatman »
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2012, 01:09:18 AM »
Congratufriggin' lations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yeah Brother!
I like the name Blurple... Got's the blue/purple covered! It does sound rich at idle but it may indeed be lean. You're plug may be too cold. Which side of the carb is the mix screw on? Air box or engine. Engine side is for a fuel screw, and clockwise is leaner... Air box side is an air screw, and clockwise is richer. We'll get it sorted out in no time Bro!
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

thebatman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2012, 01:21:21 AM »
THANK YOU ZOMBIE....
Maybe i can get my bone yard in order. Get me some handle bars for the ag and i can have a spare scoot again..  :D
Fkn suppose to have MANY spares.  >:(   :'(

The plug is a br8hsa
yeah, it has the fuel screw and set at 1. plug still black. Have not done any WOT chops of course.. Only have about 20 miles on the engine so far.
I did hit WOT for a short burst today. I have done 8? good heat cycles, rode the driveway.
Took it to the store this evening. DAM, I MISS MY 2t's... :D Got used to being slower on the ag i guess.... ::)
She doesn't perform like Nina is but seems to be real good especially for an oem.. The L.C. S9's did produce 5.7hp, which is great for an oem scoot.
Gotta be close with the rollers.
The initial take-off lags a bit now.
I did find an UN-restricted T.D. and installed with that green spring. those things just seem so soft to me, softer than white dam near
I'm hoping to be able to ride this to school next week. The summer semester starts
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2012, 01:31:36 AM »
Engine side is for a fuel screw, and clockwise is leaner... Air box side is an air screw, and clockwise is richer

..just throwing this out there...

..the kymco s9 service manual calls the fuel mix screw the "air" screw....

..yes, clockwise on this screw, the "air/fuel mix screw" does make sh** lean...lol..

...just so nobody gets confused with that...
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2012, 01:35:22 AM »
She doesn't perform like Nina

..nina hassa practically new engine, bro...

..and i'm gonna swear by the free-flow air filter...

..it jacked my a50s, ppls and it jacks the s9 as well...

« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 01:43:28 AM by wordslinger »
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()