Author Topic: Technigas Next R on LC super 9  (Read 11582 times)

dont_tread_on_me

• View Profile
Technigas Next R on LC super 9
« on: August 18, 2010, 08:40:27 AM »
Hello everyone!
  I have an 04 stock liquid cooled super 9 that I want to refresh just a bit.It's has about 14,000 miles on it and has started to lose a little on the hills.I still get about 48 (speedo reading) on the flats,but it has a dead spot now between 20 mph up to about 30 or so.I know when a problem gets gradually worse it's hard to notice,but I'm at the point where I want to fix it.
 First of all I'm going to replace the plug as it's about time,then I've ordered a Technigas Next R pipe because it was recommended by Steve from moped hospital.He mentioned that the stock pipe becomes clogged after so many miles and since the aftermarket pipe is about the same price as the factory pipe,why not upgrade? He also mentioned that because this was before most of the new emission standards that the factory jet should be fine for this pipe.Hopefully that is true because I don't want to run it too lean.
  While I have the case open I'm replacing the belt too because I'm sure it's slipping,which I'm sure is robbing power at some point during WOT.I'm thinking these improvement should restore or even improve upon original performance somewhat.I'm not looking to get a big bore kit or new carb because I don't have the extra coin at the moment and I want to keep it a relatively simple daily driver that doesn't require constant tuning.
  One question I have is how good are the rollers that come with the Technigas exhaust and how long will they last? Another question is I'm heavier than the average rider at about 265 lbs,so should I go lighter on the rollers to improve it's performance with my weight? So basically what rollers (brand,weight) should I use and where is the best place to get them? Any thoughts or help will be much appreciated!

art

• View Profile
Re: Technigas Next R on LC super 9
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 07:12:08 PM »
 Welcome to the forum, I would not run a main jet less than an 85# (check yours) With the pipe you should go to an open airbox (k/n) the best to date. The rollers should be fine with the kit for you. I think with the openair box 7.5g should work well,with your overall wieght maybe  a 7g set. I think mine came with a 7.5 and a 6.9 that should cover you. all said and done should put you in the 50+mph range and be just as reliable. Good luck.
 PS Your dead spot could be just rollers and belt deffinatly change them.
Kymco peoples too many ;) I'm not an expert just a full time hobbiest.

dont_tread_on_me

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 09:13:18 PM »
  Thank you.Would you happen to know what the factory jet size is on the 2004 LC models? Also how hard are they to change?

art

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 10:22:11 PM »
 I don't have the s9 but I have owned 4 people 50's and every one has had a different main jet from the factory! most in the 70# range. One had a 68#
 It's pretty easy to change the jets,once the airbox is removed even easyer  ;D Most of us here drill our own,but here's a link.  http://www.pjmotorsports.com/keihin-jets.html#main jets  I think the 99101-116 is the correct one  ??? double check your carb model. I think it's the keihin pb 16mm
(not confirmed)

dont_tread_on_me

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 09:43:27 AM »
  I think I'll seek some local help for that one.I have a friend that's a motorcycle mechanic that knows a lot more about this stuff than I do.Hopefully the new rollers,plug,exhaust and belt will cure my problem.I will check the plug to make sure it's not running lean.I wouldn't mind changing the air filter to a K&N but I'm afraid that will increase the probablility of needing to rejet.

art

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 07:44:04 PM »
 It's quite likely you will need to up jet anyway and running the stock airbox will rob you of the performance the pipe was ment for. If you have a friend to help let him show you how it's done,once you see how it works you will be able to do it your self and save A bundle doing your own maintanence.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 05:39:44 AM by art »

thebatman

• The Bat lives on... like the fkn Energizer Bunny
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 01:48:13 AM »
welcome to the forum...i dont have a s9 yet but i do have the same pipe on my zx..i ran the stock airbox for awhile, now i run an open air filter.. art is right, a nice difference..i wish i had done it sooner.. you will need to upjet for sure.. I AM A FIRM BELIEVER OF BOTH now that its done!!   and now i dont have to take it to a shop for anything, learned what lil bit i do know from right here.. thanks to SEVERAL ppl here.
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:
"A goal without a plan is just a dream"......

dont_tread_on_me

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 09:57:03 AM »
  Well I don't mind getting it done soon,it seems simple enough.I just want to make sure I get the right one and don't have to buy 10 different jets to figure out which one works best.I don't even know how to tell them apart.Like I said,I don't know much about carbs.I know you may have to try several,but I just don't want to get in over my head because it's my daily driver.

thebatman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2010, 01:59:14 PM »
on MY carb, the pa, finding jets was a hassle..yours wil be easier, but i actually learned how to "make" my own jet using a microbit, torch cleaners, calipers..several pics of "the kit" here...it only takes a few min. to drill out or solder back up.. :D   the jet size should be stamped on the side or the tip of the jet..small # stamped in......id get the 4-5 next biggest sizes of jets(ie:90,92,94,96)..that should have you..i only went up around 2 sizes so far... ;)
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:

dont_tread_on_me

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2010, 09:07:52 PM »
  Much appreciated gentleman.I will most likely run it for a week or so and see how it does,then order a few jet sizes up and possibly a new airfilter.Thanks again for the replies.Just trying to decide now if an Iridium plug will make any difference over the regular one for just a daily driver.

thebatman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2010, 10:23:52 PM »
personally i wouldnt bother with that at the moment, you will be doing SEVERAL plug chops in the near future.......or you SHOULD anyway. ;D ;)       
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:

Greenbean

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2010, 10:50:05 PM »
I would highly recommend the Dr Pulley weights!

I know for a fact they will get you just a tad higher top end from their design and capabilities to edge the variator just a little farther.

And they don't flat spot either. :)

art

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2010, 04:15:07 AM »
 I would have to agree on the Dr Pulley weights, if i could ever decide which weight im going to run  ;D once dialed they are great!

dont_tread_on_me

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2010, 04:57:06 AM »
personally i wouldnt bother with that at the moment, you will be doing SEVERAL plug chops in the near future

Ok pardon my ignorance but W-hiskey T-ango F-oxtrot is a plug chop?
As far as the plug goes,I think I'm sticking with the OEM recommended for now.
   I appreciate the advice on the rollers.By the way where is the best place to get them,you guys are the source so I figure before I try my Google-foo I would ask... ;D I'm not so worried about top end because I'm already faster then moped legal in Virginia,but a little more bottom and midrange is always a plus.So whatever you guys suggest to help there I'm all ears.

art

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2010, 05:13:07 AM »
 Ha! check this out! http://www.dansmc.com/spark_plugs/spark_plugs_catalog.html  . Reading your plug is the key to performance. An actual chop would take place by cutting your power while moveing to see what your plug and carb are doing at that particular part of the throttle twist.
  http://www.provoscooter.com/scooters.html  These guys arn't bad there are more I like SIP out of germany but not to good for beginners(pain in the ass to nav.) or small orders.But good prices!!!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 05:17:09 AM by art »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()