Author Topic: Variator  (Read 10199 times)

Scootsuper9

• View Profile
Re: Variator
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2015, 01:20:42 PM »
Hahaha, true, I'll ride her till she dies, but I meant to say replace the actual clutch. I donnt know if the "performance" clutches even make a difference but idk. I'll just remember that if one day it seems like the engine is hittin 10k and I'm not going anywhere. Ill do the Kevlar belt when I do my clutch too. Still got the 2005 belt with a nice 6000km

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2015, 01:52:24 PM »
Hahaha, true, I'll ride her till she dies, but I meant to say replace the actual clutch. I donnt know if the "performance" clutches even make a difference but idk. I'll just remember that if one day it seems like the engine is hittin 10k and I'm not going anywhere. Ill do the Kevlar belt when I do my clutch too. Still got the 2005 belt with a nice 6000km
No expert on belts - but have read a few cautions on Kevlar belts and what they do when they let go (Big Way). Also have read that the stock Kymco brand belt is a VERY good quality belt- very good belt.!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Triesandluth

• Getting it, a mile per hour at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2015, 10:39:53 PM »
I agree with Stig.  The kymco belts are where it's at.  And I've heard some gruesome tales of destruction from breaking Kevlar belts. 
Almost...at...speed...limit... Aww, brake lights..

Triesandluth

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2015, 10:45:38 PM »
Glad to hear the good news on the variator.  Malossi,  right? 
On the performance clutch,  I've realized that there's more pad to make contact with the bell. Mine is possibly still settling in since the thinner pads on the oem clutch had 21000 kms on it.  I'm also still stuck with the lightest springs on it.  It feels a lot smoother on the takeoff,  I've set it now to be responsive without trying to jerk around,  like coming out of a slow corner.  I want to order the springs and weights for the clutch just to say I have the ability to pull wheelies,  but I'm starting to like the smooth and quick start. 

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2015, 11:10:42 PM »
Glad to hear the good news on the variator.  Malossi,  right? 
On the performance clutch,  I've realized that there's more pad to make contact with the bell. Mine is possibly still settling in since the thinner pads on the oem clutch had 21000 kms on it.  I'm also still stuck with the lightest springs on it.  It feels a lot smoother on the takeoff,  I've set it now to be responsive without trying to jerk around,  like coming out of a slow corner.  I want to order the springs and weights for the clutch just to say I have the ability to pull wheelies,  but I'm starting to like the smooth and quick start.

Sweet man!!!!
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

Scootsuper9

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2015, 11:13:11 AM »
Ya the malossi variator. Didn't change the spring cuz I got a perfect start off and can wheelie. There was a black spacer thing that came with it and i got no idea what it goes to because it came with a variator spacer in the kit. I'm wondering if it's to separate the variator a little extra? But idk

Triesandluth

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2015, 03:13:52 PM »
WTF? Is my kit weak or what?  I still get no where near wheelies, no matter what I've tried..  I'm jealous 😡
One day,  dammit, one day. 

Scootsuper9

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2015, 05:02:35 PM »
Idk i did wheelies even before the variator. Thing pulls back a little (no tire lift)when I go wide open haha. Just a little push n pull on the handlebar n my s9 goes straight up

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2015, 11:26:40 PM »
Idk i did wheelies even before the variator. Thing pulls back a little (no tire lift)when I go wide open haha. Just a little push n pull on the handlebar n my s9 goes straight up
Please post your room # and the visiting hours , when it happens.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Scootsuper9

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2015, 01:44:02 PM »
Hahaha. I'm not bad with wheelies, been dirtbiking for ever and I'm not that stupid to push it anywheres too far back

Triesandluth

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2015, 07:49:24 PM »
I just want to know that it can.  Nothing crazy,  just pull the front wheel up a touch. I'm less than two hundred pounds,  I'm not sure why I've never been able to.  Boo hoo lol

Scootsuper9

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 31, 2015, 08:57:09 PM »
ya lol just knowing it can means everything.

Triesandluth

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2015, 09:52:41 PM »
I successfully pulled one!  A tiny one,  looked very foolish,  but it's possible.my timing on pulling up was too soon,  and a little pre-load helps.  If I were to put in the 38mm boss I would have the immediate low end pull to really try to hurt myself lol. 

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 01, 2015, 02:07:40 AM »
The black spacer, I am pretty sure it's a restriction, slide it on the boss and front pulley will not close all the way, equals less top speed.  Why it was included in the kit I don't know?
1st and 2nd usually have an unfair advantage.  3rd is usually the best, can learn the most from.  paraphrased from Don Quixote, over 400 years ago, still true today

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()