Author Topic: My UXV Experience - If your thinking about buying one, please read!  (Read 12497 times)

macs

• Breakin them in right!
    • View Profile
I ride really heavy mud, water, tight trails and rutted river bottoms. It is mandatory that you have a minimum of 29.5 outlaws, snorkeled, waterproofed and lift or you will not make it far. I usually don’t keep my machines very long because of the abuse I put on them. I decided to get a sidexside due to me getting older and to enjoy with the kids. I test drove the RZR, Teryx, Commander, Prowler and Ranger on several occasions but they all had something I didn’t like. I had read about the Kymco line in Australian ATV Magazine ( have no idea why I get this mag, just started showing up but makes good bathroom material). Just about every issue they would brag on the Kymco ATV's but never mentioned a sidexside. Well, one Friday I made up my mind that I was going to buy one that day. I went to a string of dealerships which is Arctic Cat, Canam and Polaris. I haggled with them a good few hours but really just talked myself out of it. The price was high and every one of them had something I didn’t like. I got frustrated and decided to head over to a buddies house and have a beer. On the way there I passed the Suzuki dealership and realized they had a Kymco sign. Pulled in to check it out and within an hour I had bought a 2011 UXV LE for $8500 OTD ( without test driving it). It had everything I wanted plus some and had nothing I didn’t want. I had also noticed that the complete drive train was Arctic Cat and too me they have one of the toughest drive trains I have ever seen. I have owned quite a few Arctic Cats. My next problem was trying to squeeze it on a 5x10 trailer.. It got its first scrapes then.

First Ride Report - When I got home it was after dark. I started unloading it and the wife and kids couldn’t wait to take it for a spin. As soon as I backed off the trailer they took it and that’s when I noticed them going down the road pulling very high RPMs and going about 10 MPH. By the time they got back I could see the exhaust glowing red. I got frustrated and made them put it in the garage. I still haven’t had a chance to drive except on and off the trailer. I spent the rest of the night researching about the glowing exhaust and come to find out it is fairly common with all makes. I am thinking it is the restrictive exhaust but not sure ( it stopped later on).

Second Ride Report – The next morning I took it out around the local trails. I was very disappointed. It had no power and seemed to pull unreasonably high RPM’s to get over 20 mph. I was also struggling with the way it handled. I really started second guessing my decision at this point. I started contemplating taking it back. After about an hour I put it back in the garage until the next weekend.

Third Ride Report – This is where it gets good. My buddies wanted to check out my new ride and invited me to Crosby. I cut the side rails off my trailer so it would fit and headed that way. All that was going through my head is that they are going to think this is some knockoff, It was going to perform poorly and they were going to spend all afternoon making fun of me. When I arrived 2 of the guys were already there. They started looking it over, asking questions and seemed very accepting of it. While waiting on the rest to get there a group of very heavy mudders came up and asked if we wanted to ride with them as they snarled at my Kymco. I knew the point in that now was to get me to break my new machine. Of course we went and started heading into trails I have never been on. These trails were so tight we would have to bend trees out of the way so I can fit. Luckily it hasn’t rained in a while but the huge rutted washouts were everywhere.  My buddies stopped at every bad spot to make sure I made it through and of course I did. Several spots we had to use a group effort to get the quads through, but not the mighty Kymco. If I didn’t have the ground clearance it just slid past on the skid plate. By this time I was gaining confidence in my machine. At one spot an Arctic Cat flipped and caught fire. After that was said and done we headed back to the truck.
When we picked up our friends I was the talk of camp. Nobody could believe the stuff I just went through. It was getting called names like unstoppable, Tough SOB and I want one. We got our friends and went on more leisurely ride. That’s when I noticed that it isn’t revving up anymore. I guess the belt had something on it and had been slipping. It actually had some power.

Fourth Ride Report – I was back at Crosby and now I am in show off mode. I noticed a rhino that was lifted and had big ole outlaws underneath it. I decided to follow him. He had a tough time with the ruts, cliffs and rocks. I had to help him out numerous times, but the Kymco Rolled through it like nothing else. It was unbelievable! This time I did some water riding. I found my intake and realized I could go about 4” over the floorboard. It did fantastic.

Fifth Report – I have now outfitted this thing with a CB, Radio and PA system. I drove from 10:00 am to 11:00 pm without one single hitch. At the end of the day I drag raced a Honda TRX250 just for grins. I had a passenger and the bed full of ice chest. On the first run I beat him by ½ a bike length, the second run he got me by ½ a bike length. Then we got in trouble and had to stop.

Sorry for the long story, but I wanted yall to know every detail of my experience. I love this thing and for the price I can’t imagine buying anything else. The only complaint I have is with night riding you cannot see around you that well. I will need to add side and rear lights.

If anyone is thinking about buying one and live in the Houston area, I will be more than glad to take you for a ride.

The pic was taken right when the Arctic Cat caught fire. He is directly behind me as I am taking the pic. This was at a mild spot.
2011 Kymco UXV
2008 Polaris Outlaw 525 IRS
2000 Polaris Sportsman 500
2007 Arctic Cat 700 LE
1987 Honda 200x
1983 Honda 250r
Tricky Dicks Cagiva 200

medicpm

• View Profile
Re: My UXV Experience - If your thinking about buying one, please read!
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 11:19:49 PM »
Great tale.  I'm also impressed the durability and capability of my UXV.

ddtoit

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 07:26:54 AM »
send me your email address will forward you pics of my modified uxv

from south africa, polokwanequads@hotmail.com

regards

deon

ddtoit

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 08:44:28 AM »
here a link of our outride pics
enjoy

ddt
RSA

ddtoit

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 12:40:08 PM »
yip are built very well , mine has done nearly 9000km , with really no major problems,
broken a belt , rear brake pads, thats about all.
we really play hard here in RSA, and its hot .

just need bit more power

regards

ddt

JustWantToRide

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 02:52:04 PM »
Nice ride Macs.  I wish they were street legal - so I could leave my F250 at home more often.  This heat wave is supposed to break in the next few days, so maybe you'll get some rain and mud to play in.  I'm in Austin - and tomorrow is supposed to be the first day in 2 1/2 months to have only a double digit high.  On the bright side - this dry spell has made it a good time to clear trails because even the underbrush is dry and brittle.
2009 Xciting 500Ri
   52mpg so far

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()