Author Topic: Parking Brake lock up  (Read 4489 times)

dbardell

• View Profile
Parking Brake lock up
« on: January 01, 2011, 04:57:45 PM »
Hello all,

Just joined the forum and would like ot pose a question on the UXV500.

Anyone having problems with the parking brake mechanism not releasing?  Mine locked up in the woods and would not release.  

Tore the mechanism off the dash and took it apart.  This has to be the poorest designed part on an otherwise very impressive machine.

Has anyone replaced it with some other set up?  

Dave in PA

UPDATE on this problem.   Finally got around to working on this and found the small rod that is cammed up to release the brake locking mechanism on the parking brake handle was bent.  Straightened it and put the handle pieces back together and noticed two holes at the top of the handle that looked like there should have been small bolts of some kind in them.  Took back apart and found two threaded holes on each side of the bracket that the handle goes onto.  Found two small metric phillips head screws that were the right length and reassembled with these two screws.  I do not think these two screws were ever installed from the factory or else both vibrated out.  Anyway, handle now works better than when I picked it up from the dealer.  I think this was the trouble from new as the holes were dusty - I just didn't notice they were missing when I took it apart. 

All's well that ends well!!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 11:37:09 PM by dbardell »

Rianna

• View Profile
Re: Parking Brake lock up
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 12:51:12 AM »
Hi, Dave!

I don't have a UXV500, but I wanted to say welcome to the forum!! :)

I do wonder why it would lock up, though. ???

dbardell

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 11:38:44 PM »
Problem solved, I think!!

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 03:34:13 AM »
Sounds great, Dave! You going to put some threadlocker or something on those screws or just keep an eye on them?

Glad ya found it and it was an easy fix!!

dbardell

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 11:45:53 PM »
Thread locker was used... 

And hope that fixes it for good!  So far, this thing is easy to work on.  Nothing like a Polaris my father had... that thing was a real beast to do anything on.

Rianna

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 12:25:36 AM »
That's great, Dave! Yeah, Kymcos are pretty good all the way around. I bet you've got lots of woods and mountains even up there to explore with it, too!!

ddtoit

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 11:22:18 AM »
hi i'm from RSA
i have done 8600 km on my uxv did not have any hand brake locking up ,
But the rear disc does seem to wear much much quicker than normal

here a pic of my uxv

regards

Panther

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 03:44:18 AM »
I see this thread is fairly old now but wanted to say that we had exactly the same problem.
The plastic handle is soft and nearly came off. It was a real pig to get it to release to get back home. There had never been screws put in it. I have now also clamped a stainless steel hose clamp around it and this has made it a lot firmer. It has been like this for 6 months now and no problems.
I am in Queensland so it seems this problem is worldwide.

Panther

dbardell

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 02:07:24 PM »
Late update on the parking brake -- I had to disassemble the handle and redo the whole cheap mess.  Upon reassembly, I also used a hose clamp to keep things in place, then used electrical tape over the clamp to eliminate any rough edges.  Other than this, the machine has been great!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()