Author Topic: 450i replacement skid plates  (Read 2524 times)

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
450i replacement skid plates
« on: April 20, 2016, 06:41:30 PM »
I have to replace one of the crappy stock plastic skid plates on my 450i,  thinking of replacing all of them with something more substantial

current plan is to take the stock plates off to use them as templates to get metal plates fabricated, wondering if anyone has done this or has CAD drawings
RandyO
IBA#9560

airshot

• View Profile
Re: 450i replacement skid plates
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 12:42:04 AM »
   Why are they crappy?  Many mfgs have gone to the plastic as it slides over obstacles much easier than metal. Also returns to original shape and much less expensive. Had a machine with aluminum skid plate and never again.....all dented up and look like hell and can't be straightened very well. Had more hangups with aluminum than with plastic. I'll take your old plastic crappy ones if you want to get rid of them.

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 04:23:19 AM »
reason I need to replace them is that the front and read sections are torn off..........first time it was used off road

I don't care about weight or performance, I will be going to steel instead of aluminum
RandyO
IBA#9560

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2016, 12:08:52 AM »
WOW.....what are you running over?  Mine has been offroad many times and never damaged one. My neighbor has artic cat with plastic for years without an issue. If you are running over some really rough stuff the steel will bend and dent and stay that way, this has caused issues in the past which is one of the reasons mfgrs went to plastic. hard to believe you ripped them off.....may I ask what it is you are running over?  Kymco had a couple day outing at Moab in Utah as a photo op, videos are on the web, ran over some serious rocks and did some serious crawling without issue to their skid plates so it makes me wonder what you are running over.

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2016, 01:27:24 AM »
new england rocky terrain... maybe some tree stumps as well, only the rear plate is ripped off, before it got home, it dinged the rear rotor that is also getting replaced

http://www.nhstateparks.org/uploads/pdf/Jericho-Mtn_Trail-Map_Jericho-Tract.pdf
RandyO
IBA#9560

Driemeyer25

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2016, 02:00:26 PM »
Off Road Body Armor is planning on making tree kickers to protect the side and undercarriage of the 450i. let me know if you would be interested.

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2016, 02:15:26 AM »
Yes do let me know please I might very well be interested in those.

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2016, 02:18:52 AM »
I might very well be interested when those become available.....

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2016, 06:17:28 AM »
Off Road Body Armor is planning on making tree kickers to protect the side and undercarriage of the 450i. let me know if you would be interested.

yes, interested

fwiw, the leading edge on the front panel has taken most of the abuse, and is beginning to tear  after very little off road use, my rear panel got ripped off, I suspect, aggravated by loose fasteners that fell out 
RandyO
IBA#9560

Driemeyer25

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2016, 02:42:56 AM »
Randyo- I'm hoping next weekend ill have pics of the tree kickers. My goal is to become the leader in body armor accessories for Kymco. Im pretty biased to the brand since my family has sold kymco for ten years now with tremendous success and reliabilty.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2016, 11:29:41 AM »
I guess I'm confused as to how side protection protects the plastic skid pans on the underside, I don't have issues where i use my 450i  with the sides or even front or rear bumper protection.  I am usually fully loaded with another person and survey equipment. the only skid plate that has bottomed out and ripped off is the rear plate, the smallest and narrowest of all
RandyO
IBA#9560

Driemeyer25

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2016, 02:09:50 PM »
That one time you do have an issue though, say you try to go around a tree too sharp and scratch the entire side of your Kymco you are going to wish you had protection. Thats why literally ever other brand of sxs offer this accessory.

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2016, 05:40:22 PM »
like I said, that is not an issue for my use, the undercarriage is, I am looking for more substantial skid plates 
RandyO
IBA#9560

Driemeyer25

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2016, 09:19:58 PM »
Ok let me see if there is enough demand for it. If so ill see if I can get some manufactured!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()