Author Topic: Trying to identify black box said to be faulty: KYC-D421  (Read 2413 times)

kbosak

• View Profile
Trying to identify black box said to be faulty: KYC-D421
« on: September 05, 2018, 06:33:52 PM »
It is mounted under plastic fairing on the left side, it is a black box 1x1x2 inches.
Mechanic said it is suspected and called it interruptor, I see similar items on EBAY called relay. However, those have mounting hole and one more pin used in the plug - they are different.
The problem is I cannot find it on electric diagram, and commonly sold parts with identical marking have one less pin in the plug socket, a mounting hole for screw and are incompatible with my Venox. What is going on, I have something not mentioned in wiring diagram:
https://www.kymcopartsmonster.com/oemparts/a/kym/5b50e86487a866110c2e089f/wiring-harness-electrical-components
Could it be
EMI FILTER FAN MOTOR ?
39100-KHD8-9000

If so, it is completely unrelated to idle throttle...

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to identify black box said to be faulty: KYC-D421
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2018, 10:30:23 PM »
That thing if an EMI filter will render the fan in op if it fails. Got one on my UXV500I side by side that quit. The plugs were arranged so the filter could be totally removed and the harness plugs pushed together to restore fan operation. Been running it that way for over a year with no problems. Wonder why it is even in there.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

kbosak

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2018, 08:39:32 AM »
I think I know why it is there, as an engineer in embedded electronics. I think reverse voltage fed by free-spinning fan was inducing noise on ground wires (-) that they suspected was frying their voltage regulator which was then overcharging batteries which had then troubles delivering voltage under load leading to starting problems and even unreliable ignition. While the source of the problem is narrow hysteresis and the number of on/off cycles for the fan when it works, having as much as 30% of its life spent as free-spinning flywheel generator.

The other problem is, if the mechanic pointed at this part as a reason of unreliable idle and fuel flow at high temp, I am starting to doubt about his skills as he misunderstood KYC-D421 for something related to ignition.

What I did not understand, why entire family of KYC-D421 has so many versions and even incompatible plugs and wiring without additional information. Additionally I have no confirmation if KYC-D421 I see in my motorcycle is indeed EMI FILTER FAN MOTOR 39100-KHD8-9000 - on the partlist manual it loooks.. different.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 08:42:52 AM by OsamaBinLaden »

DSR

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2020, 05:13:46 AM »
Is this why my 250 venox 2012 model won't start with the ignition switch?

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2020, 11:42:26 AM »
Not if it was an EMI filter...
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()