Author Topic: spark plug questions  (Read 3826 times)

johnrambo56

• View Profile
spark plug questions
« on: April 17, 2014, 02:07:23 AM »
Ok, this may sound stupid but humor me. 

How many spark plugs does my venox have and how to I get to them/it?

I noticed it was running real sluggish for it's first run of the year, so I ran it with the choke out and that seemed to have helped.  So I'm guessing it needs plugs, or at least I'd like to start there.  It's only got 10,000 KM on it. 

I should probably change the air filter too.

But anyway, can somebody help me get to the plug on it, the pic in the manual didn't show much.

Thanks!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: spark plug questions
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 02:12:28 AM »
Same thing every year with every bike that comes out of hibernation. Bad Fuel.
It sounds like your idle circuit, and or main jet is clogged w/ gummed up fuel. Two options... Remove/tear down the carb, and clean every port/jet/peice or try 1 oz of Sea Foam per gallon of FRESH gas, and try to run it thru the whole tank. Sometimes SeaFoam will be enough.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

johnrambo56

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 02:41:20 AM »
I took all the gas out of it over the winter, then once a week I'd go out and put a tiny bit in and run the bike.

I'm confident the plug/plugs need replaced anyway.  I'm at least gonna start there before I tear the carbs down and clean them.  I'll go back and do that in a few weeks, I just wanna get it up and running first. 

Any idea how I can get this done?  How many are there?  Where are they?  Looks like there is one at the front but I was afraid to start pullin' the wire in case it's not it!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 10:09:34 PM by zombie »
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Hairy Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 09:45:13 PM »
Hey there John.
You've got two spark plugs sport. One in the top of each cylinder. Remove the seat and the two chrome covers plates on the fuel tank and remove fuel tank bolts. Remove the fuel tank or chock it up high enough to get your plug spanner onto the rear plug. Remove the two lower hex bolts from your radiator and swing the radiator out a bit to give yourself a bit more room to get to the front one. It probably sounds a hassle, but it's not that big a deal really. Specified plugs are NGK-CR8E. Spark plug gap is 0.6 - 0.7mm.
Regards, Hairy Bob.
Damn the torpedoes .. full steam ahead !

johnrambo56

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 02:18:49 AM »
Aw man, I was so glad, I actually was able to reach them where they sat!  But thanks for the tips.

The sea foam definitely helped too, thanks!

I think the air filter needs replaced too.  I have to order it online cause stores around here don't carry it.

I pulled it out and cleaned it with air, that seemed to help.  Each thing I did today made it run a little better till it was back up to 80mph on the highway, like it's old self.

Thanks for the help you guys!!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 06:04:27 AM »
Good to hear. I hope it all works out for you.
These scooters are more like children than lawnmowers. A lawnmower is fine if you ignore it but kids don't fair as well.

jean

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2019, 06:36:50 PM »
hi all im new here just joining the fun as i just purchase an 05 Venox ,but it wont be on the road till next year as it needs about $700 in parts to safety tires chain and sprockets .and then theres labour $$ anyhow i wass trying to find out just exactly how to remove the spark plugs as the manual doesn't say to but its pictures show it without its tank,so that's want i wanted to know does the tank have to be removed to change plugs? But in reading here looks like its possible without removing the tank witch is something i don't really want to do . .

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2019, 08:48:07 PM »
Welcome! Don't know. Have seen one Venox in person and as recalled you SHOULD be able to remove plugs without removing the tank. I was busy with the rider telling me that his Venox had 8 cylinders and would go 165 miles per hour!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

jean

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2019, 03:27:38 AM »
Hey Karl,but i must say im not sure about that as iv put my hand down there ,you know a test to see ,umm just to get a hold of them ether of them and i gotta say i have my doubts ,now before you ask i wont be changing them tell next year and its in a friends garage for the winter so iv bin trying to gather as much info on maintenance as i can. i still need to winterize it .

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()