Author Topic: TTFN? (well, maybe not!)  (Read 1119 times)

john grinsel

• View Profile
Re: TTFN?
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2021, 11:08:27 AM »
I had 2 new Burgmans.   First Suzuki took back with leaky engine castings after 8,000 miles---second went 50,000 miles or so.   Nice ride, but buffeting not as well controlled with Givi Adjustable Windshield as on Silverwing.  Expensive, hard to work on, heavy, but nice ride. Very tire sensitive.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2021, 03:24:37 PM »
So who is this John G? Don't know him. And what is wrong with a Matte finish? Kinda like to know about that one since I'm looking at a Matte Silver Crystal AK 550 (most likely)... If I can't find a Matte Deep Blue one nearby (not so likely).

I'M on the BurgmanUSA.com forum. Is there a problem with me? Don't answer that one.  :o

I actually know a bunch of the guys over there and they seem OK to me. Be sure to read any posts by MikeyMarine.  ;)

Well, unless my Burgman 650 sells I'll be hanging onto it and continue to ride it. I really don't HAVE to replace it with another scooter but just want to. I still like my Burgman, but I think I might like the AK too. Would like to give it a chance in my garage.

Oh, and I don't know about the Burgman 400 but I have removed the Burgman 650 rear wheel for tire changes. Not so bad IMO. Hardest part is getting the rear brake caliper off the disk after much wiggling and sliding around. Not really hard but just takes a bit of time.
It's the Burgman 650 I wish they continued past 2018. There is a Burgman 400 for 2022. Is that the model year you bought Neil?

John G? The guy’s a legend, maybe the most travelled on a scooter on this Forum. Look up John Grinsel’s posts.  Sure he’d have a view on matte finishes too!  It’s just a matter of taste I guess and mine prefers gloss for my automotive products.

As I say, I’ll be back to report on my impressions of the Berg.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2021, 03:27:06 PM »
@Neil, poor you HAD to take a 2021 model👍😅

Yep. Genuinely I’d have taken the 2020 one or even a 2018 with only 1,050 miles up, but neither dealer would take a Kymco in part ex 🙁
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2021, 03:30:06 PM »
I had 2 new Burgmans.   First Suzuki took back with leaky engine castings after 8,000 miles---second went 50,000 miles or so.   Nice ride, but buffeting not as well controlled with Givi Adjustable Windshield as on Silverwing.  Expensive, hard to work on, heavy, but nice ride. Very tire sensitive.

Thanks for the report John.  It’s shod with Dunlops so hopefully OK?  Never find buffeting too much of a issue, but then I don’t do more than 200 miles in one day now I’m past the first flush of youth!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2021, 04:42:05 PM »
I always found it interesting how different forums get a bit touchy about how their primary brands or models are spelled. I don't usually but...
I'm sure I've read here, or maybe it was a different forum, about correcting one member spelling Kymco as Kimco.

On the Burgman forum there are a few members who are quick to correct Burgman from Bergman.

Not that it really matters since we all know what is referred to. But sometimes it does stand out.  ;)
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2021, 06:50:00 PM »
@rjs987, guess here in this forum one can spell how anyone likes, as long pics are shown to proof it.
Very important sentence here, " No pics - didn't happen".
Happy and safe scootering, Ruffus

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2021, 01:14:28 AM »
I always found it interesting how different forums get a bit touchy about how their primary brands or models are spelled. I don't usually but...
I'm sure I've read here, or maybe it was a different forum, about correcting one member spelling Kymco as Kimco.

On the Burgman forum there are a few members who are quick to correct Burgman from Bergman.

Not that it really matters since we all know what is referred to. But sometimes it does stand out.  ;)
Yep. I  had four Handys over the years - but my favorite was the CB350!
Stig
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 01:16:10 AM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2021, 03:15:21 AM »
Just received a recall notice today on the Berg 400, apparently the voltage regulator/rectifier.  Nearest dealer about a hour away.
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2021, 10:14:37 AM »
Yep. I  had four Handys over the years - but my favorite was the CB350

Tuned up or orginally?😊

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2021, 12:14:17 PM »
Well I thought I’d better update you all. I don’t know if I jinxed things by speaking too soon, but this morning I emailed the Dealership to cancel the Burgman deal we struck on Friday. Why?, you may well ask. It’s a case of competing demands on our disposable cash I guess.

In a particularly galling act of impeccable timing, my wife’s Range Rover packed in on Saturday night which, in and of itself is not the end of the world- it’s only the electronic parking brake after all. It is the culmination, however, of a series of breakdowns and to her represents “the final straw”!  Fair enough, it was me stranded alone Saturday, at night, but it could easily have been her. We need a newer, more reliable, car says she.

So any new scooter is deferred by at least a year while we shop for a new (to us) car.

So reports of my KymcoForum departure are hereby refuted. For now at least!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 03:24:23 PM by Neil955i »
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2021, 12:50:54 PM »
apparently the Kymco Gods are watching over you and didn't want to let you leave to join the Suzuki family...not yet, at least.

Good luck in the search for a new family vehicle. I (grudgingly) agree that a dependable car/truck is more important than a new scoot!
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2021, 03:29:32 PM »
I (grudgingly) agree that a dependable car/truck is more important than a new scoot!
Now I'm sure there'll be those on here muttering about me being under the thumb, or some such descriptor, but as my better half now brings in more £££'s per month than does my stipend, I'm happy to subscribe to the old adage about a happy wife equalling a happy life!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Ruffus

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2021, 07:12:28 PM »
@Neil, good to hear.
Simply didn't want to be. Your present scoot is anyway as good as new and we have you back again.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2021, 10:47:30 PM »
Now I'm sure there'll be those on here muttering about me being under the thumb, or some such descriptor, but as my better half now brings in more £££'s per month than does my stipend, I'm happy to subscribe to the old adage about a happy wife equalling a happy life!
No, no,....you wouldn't have been happy with your new scoot while the Mrs is leaning on her elbows staring into the engine bay of the land Rovering by the light of her Zippo.
Please do not hesitate to set me straight - but I was still under the impression that British autos in the upper price ranges are 'difficult' to own - except for those who have plenty of expendable cash.
Here - many, many choose oriental for reliability.
I actually did flinch when you first mentioned your Range Rover.
When we were in Paris my parents went to the Rover factory to pick up Dad's new Range Rover single cab. Sand tan with khaki canvases. They took him on a course to teach him to use all of its abilities. Washed it and presented it to them after a lunch. Picked them up at the airport in a Rover sedan.
He was going to use it for hunting trips in Wyoming, etc. - but discovered no one in the States made a camper to fit in the cargo bed! So he sold it in Mass. to another AirForce nut. I loved sitting in that thing - tire on the hood - with enough galvanized metals protruding to kill you many ways over if you rolled in it!
Anyway - I digress....again.
PS: it was while they were in the UK on that lovely holiday that I was being arrested in Paris. My mother will tell you all about at any, every, family get-together.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2021, 07:17:52 AM »
Thanks Stig. Where do I start with these disclosures?!...  At the end. You got ARRESTED?!! You have to tell us that story.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()