Author Topic: Your lights please!  (Read 661 times)

eidikos

• View Profile
Your lights please!
« on: March 15, 2016, 05:12:01 PM »
Hi guys, this my first post here.
I am marios from Cyprus and i have a disability on my right arm.
I choose this bike to be my next one and i went and checked a used one today. An xciting 500ri abs.
All reviews in the internet that i read stated that it has linked brakes plus abs.
When i went there today, i put the bike on the double stand, lifted the front wheel up and applied the left lever all the way only to see that the front wheel was still spinning.
Is there a way to check for the linked system?
Also i reeealy liked this bike both price and condition wise.
So is there a sure way to check for linked brakes and if you guys know if in the event that they are not whether i can convert it to a linked brakes system keeping in mind that this is an ABS model.

Thank you for your time.

2wheelfun

• View Profile
Re: Your lights please!
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 02:02:55 AM »
ABS on that bike, it would take an engineer to design a system to have linked brakes and be safe and reliable. It's quite a complicated system. Have you looked into a Honda at all that has linked brakes? I assume you have your right hand and that is the brake lever you'll be using. What does the Kymco specs say about the 500 scoot? It should state exactly what it has brake wise, good luck!

wkreps

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 02:21:26 AM »
Here's from my 2010 Xciting 500 Owners Manual. left brake lever is linked. Right brake lever is front only.

Wayne

Charlie P

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 02:48:42 AM »
My 2013 Xciting manual says it has linked brakes too but when on the center stand and spinning both wheels on my scooter and pressing the left (rear) brake lever only the rear wheel stops.

I'm beginning to think that the "linked" brakes could only be when the ABS is activated during a hard or panic stop.  Just a thought- I haven't wanted to test it that bad.
Charlie P.
2013 Xciting 500Ri ABS
formerly 2010 Yager & 2008 Grand Vista
Near Haslet, TX (NW of Fort Worth)

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 03:34:20 AM »
If you have linked brakes it would work all the time, if it under warranty bring it in get it fixed,  do not try to fix yourself,.  good luck

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()