Author Topic: Stig retiring ??? :-)  (Read 2578 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Stig retiring ??? :-)
« on: March 06, 2016, 01:14:04 PM »
Edited:
"It's never the work, is it? It's the people."
My new supervisor is not a person I want to see every morning for very many more days.
Of the 5 supervisors I've dealt with over the past 29 yrs - I'm finding this fellow to be insufferable.
His supervision style is ridicule and threats.
In the military there might be a point to that technique - for trainees going into battle.
 I've been that route - and some of these jerks were actually fine leaders.

Some are just jerks ....with power.

Yep, thrashing through pension plans, Social Security, Medicare, etc. to see if I should be putting myself and loved ones through this much longer.

I had no thoughts of retiring for years yet - but I'm past full SS retirement age and there's that pension awaiting me.

I have a nice Chevy truck, tools, my health, 5 kids, a great wife and a pretty good little puppy.
Might go down to McDonald's and introduce myself as their new token Sr. Citizen on the crew.
And do some building....and painting and scooter work!
You guys are good listeners.....'cept Karl. He's probably PO'd . Love that guy!
Crap...let's look at scooters!

« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 10:35:37 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
Re: Stig retiring ???
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 01:33:53 PM »
Hey Stig. Problems on the job can affect our entire lives. I know. Been there. I cannot speak to retirement benefits but I would like to encourage you to look at this perhaps from a different angle. Do not think of it as retirement. From your posts I can tell that you are not the "retiring" type. If you choose to leave your employer, I could see you pursuing monetary opportunities in photography, scooter sales or service, or travel. I guess what I am saying is that instead of just considering how much you are going to get from your retirement, that you also consider finding something that you love and finding a way to bring in some income in addition to your pension. I wish you the best. Keep us posted...Paul
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2016, 06:15:52 PM »
If you still have your tools , you will be amazed how many people need a carpenter that knows what to do,  did it for 40 years,  after I got out of the air force,.   word of mouth never had to advertise ,. 

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 07:24:07 PM »
From my point of view, I say retire and enjoy life for a while. Do some odd jobs on the side or something. I've been teaching for 32 years, and even though I'm "young" by many people's standards, that is more than enough time spent with middle schoolers and away from my family. I plan to retire at the end of this school year and do something else, odd jobs here and there, etc. Even though we will have to cut expenses way back, it's worth finally being able to be with my wife of 34 years and be there for her.

I can relate to having supervisors who make the job miserable, and that's one thing I will not miss. You are a better person than they are, hands down, and shouldn't have to be unhappy on the job after all those years of loyal service. Enjoy some well-deserved time off and tell that jerk to shove it. Life's too short to spend it with idiots.

Just my input for what it's worth. Good luck, and keep us informed.
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2016, 07:51:01 PM »
My brother had a similar issue on his job. His previous supervisors loved him and rewarded him accordingly. Each time his company was bought out, the new company's management recognized his talent and work ethic. But the last manager was younger and NOTHING was ever good enough. He started losing sleep at night and was constantly stressed. All of a sudden it dawned on him that his kids were grown, and his home nearly paid for. Although he was only 60, he and his wife had enough savings and pension available to support him until he was 62 and able to collect Social Security. Now he plants a large garden, engages in hobbies, Helps senior citizens learn to use the computer, etc. he stays busy. But it's on HIS terms. And he and his wife get to do things together that he was missing out on before. He's now 64, and he has no regrets about early retirement nor the reduced Social Security benefits. PEACE OF MIND IS PRICELESS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Xciting 250

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
Re: Stig retiring ??? :-)
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2016, 04:18:07 AM »
I got started in consulting and contract employement about 12 years ago. After 10 years in public accounting and 15 years as a controller I had all I could take of incompetent bosses. Now when I work with an asshat I just remind myself "it's money in the bank", but more importantly "it's only temporary".

Life is too short to have to put up with that kind stress. You can't fix difficult people. I think what you are doing is the right thing. You realize you have choices. So many people in similar situations don't see that and are frozen in fear and stay in a stressful environment. I hope you find something that makes you happy to get up each morning and look forward to a fulfilling day.

Chris0381

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2016, 03:08:14 PM »
Im just recovering from 3x CABG with now 8 loops of wire in my sternum and attribute some of it to stress on the job. I weigh 145 lbs now. If you can afford it and keep yourself busy and happy, Id graciously say good by to that boss that will suck the energy out of you just being in the same building as him.
2013 Super 8 50cc 2T Air Cooled Mfg'd 2012
Stock pipe derestriction
Smooth Boss
6.5gm Dr Pulley sliders
Malossi Torsion Controller
Malossi Fly Clutch- yellow springs
Polini Variator
#95 Main Jet
Purple Malossi Contra Spring
42 MPH on the flats with the wind

wkreps

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2016, 04:50:47 PM »
Is there anyone else in the company that you can discuss your concerns with? Are there other employees that will join you in that meeting? Maybe the management just is not aware of his "management style". If you are a 29yr veteran of the company, they should know you are not just blowing smoke. If they refuse to listen, then just be prepared to put in your notice then and there and maybe then they will understand. Very hard decision but the stress is not worth it. Start looking for another opportunity. You never know what may present itself and it is another option to look at besides retiring.
Wayne

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2016, 01:59:48 AM »
And add photography to your list Stig. You're pretty good at it. Keep the pictures coming man.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

bucray

• forever young
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2016, 02:16:46 PM »
5 years ago,  I turned 65 on a Friday, and, retired on Monday.  I have no regrets.
It was really great until last year when I first lost my dog I had for 16 years, then 6 months later my wife past away.l'm
finally starting to come out of my funk,  and still don't regret retiring.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2016, 09:17:14 PM »
Hey, Stig! Everyone said what I woulda said only better. I, too, would vote for, "Take this job and shove it!" You are one of the good guys and would depart with more class than I suggested. I have been away from last Thursday evening to Sunday night and am just catching up. Some of your decision-makers would have to admit they made a mistake with selecting your supervisor and meetings will not solve that. Go for the retirement. You deserve it. Thought you were late forties not mid-sixties....or did my poor listening skills bite me? Har, har!

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2016, 02:28:45 PM »
I can't tell you what you should do but I'm only a few years behind you and retirement is something I think about a lot.  I have a pretty good job but it really interferes with all the stuff I want to do.  Unfortunately not working would reduce my income which would also cut into the stuff I want to do.  My goal is to continue working full time until around 62 then try to work part time until around 68.  Hopefully this will give me the time to do the stuff I want to do while keeping my income high enough to be able to afford it.  I just can't see going from working full time to just retireing.

The ideal situation would be to do as others have mentioned in this thread which is do do something you like to do. 

If I was in your situation where my job suddenly sucked for whatever reason, I would be looking for another job if I couldn't afford to retire. 
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Doc Wheezer

• Silently riding armed through the Mojave Desert.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2016, 05:25:47 PM »
Stig,
I retired at 52 1/2 and I have enjoyed every hour of it.  After 34 years with the company I was ready and have never regretted it.

Whatever you decide Good Luck and Enjoy it.

DocW

« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 09:04:52 PM by Doc Wheezer »

PapaSoldTheHarley

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2016, 07:26:48 PM »
Retired at 56 never missed working... I believe you will find filling your day with what you choose to is a most comfortable way to go through the Senior years...Social media, Scooter, Golf, Grandchildren, Knife throwing (yes), Slingshots, Air guns, Exercise, etc.

And if you find you miss work, it is rarely difficult for a good worker to find a venue... 

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2016, 09:42:58 AM »
Today is the big day Stig! Thinking of you man and I hope you have a good day. Best wishes on your new life!
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()